March 25th, 2013

Jim Carrey mocks Charlton Heston

(CNN) – Charlton Heston's declaration that gun control advocates would have to pry his firearms "from my cold, dead hands" provides the punch line for comedian Jim Carrey's new video mocking the late actor and NRA president.

Carrey, who appears on a spoof version of the old comedy show "Hee Haw" both as Heston and as the frontman of a country-western band "Lonesome Earl And The Clutterbusters," is a vocal proponent of stricter gun control laws.

"Charlton Heston movies are no longer in demand, and his immortal soul may lay forever in the sand. The angels wouldn't take him up to heaven like he planned, because they couldn't pry the gun from his cold dead hand," Carrey sings in the video, which was posted Monday on the comedy website Funny or Die.

Heston, who died in 2008, rose to fame as an actor in movies like "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur." Later in life, however, he turned his attention to political advocacy, eventually becoming the president of the National Rifle Association from 1998-2003.

He famously used the line mocked in Carrey's video during a 2000 speech to NRA members, going specifically after then-Vice President Al Gore, who was running for president at the time.

"As we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!" Heston declared.

Carrey starred in movies like "Ace Ventura Pet Detective" and "The Mask." He actively argues his case for gun control on Twitter @JimCarrey.

Carrey said in a statement that he found America's rash of gun violence "frustrating" and the video was "my fun little way of expressing that frustration."

Filed under: Gun rights
  1. Steve K.

He's a comedian doing a routine. That's fine! There really is no debate when it comes to gun control (as this story seems to insinuate, anyway; that there should be NO guns – period)! Take 'arms' away from people who have a right to protect themselves, and the bad guys just march right on in! PERIOD!!! Guarantee us that EVERY (EVERY) gun has been removed from the planet, then we can talk! Otherwise it's a no-brainer!

March 26, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. CO

Wow ! Definetely struck a nerve, didn't he ?! I'm so tired of hearing people acting like their guns are more precious than their children, usually the same ones who are claiming they need to "re-take" the country for the sake of those same children. Unbelievable ! You should all be ashamed of yourselves !! As a grandparent AND gun owner I can tell you I'd out my grandchildren ahead of my supposed "rights" any day. You may think you have a right to your guns but you have an OBLIGATION to your kids and grandkids. Put your politics aside and do the right thing for once.

March 26, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  3. Retired3

I think what Carrey did was shamfull, but what was done on Fox News last night was just as disgusting.One of the FIVE went off on a rant that was as bad if not worse than Carrey. Heston was a great man, served in the war and respected. But to call Carrey a low life, etc, etc is just as low.

March 26, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  4. Marcus

Sorry Jim, not really funny. More of a commentary on your lack of taste (but we knew that dumb and dumber) and rabid left wing knee-jerk anti-gun slant. It would be nice if you offended someone with the clout to cut you off at the knees when you audition for your next role, but I doubt it. You're just another reason I don't watch tv or go to the theatre to see lame movies – the type you typically make.

March 26, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  5. crabman

people are mocked or made fun of every day--BIG DEAL

March 26, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  6. Cam

his 15 minutes are over, but he just does not know it....

March 26, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  7. reckless abandon

Did anyone see Charlton Heston say that Americas gun problem was because we are a multi-cultural nation?

March 26, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  8. FPSC

Tell the creep to move to Cuba and take Michael Bloomberg with him. Remind to boycott anything he is remotely connected with.

March 26, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. Brandon William

Funny, if Jim Carey ,would have mocked Dianne Feinstein, Joe Biden, or President Obama, it wouldn't be so funny would it?Hyptocrites!

March 26, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  10. stacy100

pitiful. Jim Carrey is an "actor", Charlton Heston was a movie star. Big difference!

March 26, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  11. Thomas Joyce

Dude, I'm for gun control too. But making fun of the late Charlton Heston? Uncool.

March 26, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  12. Jim_Who?

Jim, You are from Canada and you are no longer welcome here. Wouldn't it be nice to live with body gaurds in a private gated community like Jim Carey does? Does Jim insist that all of his body gaurds are unarmed when they're protecting him? Unlike Canadians, we as Americans have a constitutional right under the 2nd ammendment to keep and bear arms.I always knew Jim was mentally unstable based on the fact that he could never maintain a relationship. Jim, why don't you become an advocate for something you should know a lot about Mental Health. If you take all of the shooters that commit mass shootings the one thing that they all have in ccommon is that they all need mental help.

March 26, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  13. Backwards Logic

Many of these comments seem to be aimed at Carey being Canadian. Does that mean he's not entitled to an opinion on the gun violence in the US (which is an internationally known issue)? If the thinking is that you can only comment on what's happening in your country of origin, why is the US always flexing it's muscles over policies in foreign countries? Oh yeah, because in a democratic society, you have the responsibilty to speak out when innocent people are being harmed. It always amazes me when people just throw stats and numbers out there as if they are fact. @Andrew – you need to check your math. There aren't any cities in Canada that experience more gun violence than an American city of a similar size.

March 26, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  14. Petkovicth

So it's Ok for Clint Eastwood to mock the President of USA but not for Jim???

March 26, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  15. Desert1

I have never seen a movie Carey made that ever had any real acting in it,a lot of hollering and antimated movements that were unnecessary as well,hes certainly on a downhill slide but oh well.As for Charlton Heston he made some good movies and some bad ones and he also was on the outs with his health problems,so neither one make much of a difference now,just like all of us in the end.

March 26, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  16. Jim_Who?

Hey Jim, why don't you call the Dixie Chicks up and see how they're doing these days?

March 26, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  17. Talmonis

"Lets settle this right now! It is simple people! You dislike guns, DONT OWN ONE! Don't push your agenda on me and I won't push mine on you. Fair compromise?"

Even though I support gun ownership (though have no problem with background checks), I think your logic is terrible. Te issue isn't that they don't want to own guns, the issue is that they're afraid that YOU are going to go nuts and start shooting people in a public place.

March 26, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  18. chuck

Why do entertainers have to be political? I love Pearl Jam but I will not go to a concert becuase Eddie won't shut up about politics!! I dont pay to hear politics, I pay to be entertained. Do they feel that people care about their opinion so much, or is it a situation of trying to create contoversy so they can jump start their dying career? No one cares about Barbara Striesand or Sean Pen's opinion of our nations politics. Shut up Already!!

March 26, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  19. butbrah

Once Heston became the name and face of such a divisive group as the NRA then he is fair game for spoofs from actors. Serious, it's not was a simple private citizen...he was the head of the NRA for years and arguabally it's most enduring figurehead...thus the spoof. Get over your faux outrage righties. (I didn't think Carrey's bit was even funny, and I'm not really a fan of his btw)

March 26, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  20. Dennis

Take it for what it is....a funny parody. I laugh at the ones about Obama also! Does anyone really care what ANY celebrities opinion is? I know I don't.....but it was funny!

March 26, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  21. reckless abandon

Andrew look at homicide deaths by gun in Canada before you try to make their gun violence the same as ours. Canada has a much lower homicide rate.

March 26, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  22. Carl

Maybe we need 1st Amendment control as well. Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy killed more kids with their anti-vaccine rants than Lanza did with his gun. After all, wasn't the 1st Amendment written when free press meant hand-cranked printers and passing out pamphlets in the street? The founding fathers never envisioned one fool having the ability to spew uncontrolled nonsense to millions of people at once, so why isn't Carrey ranting about that?

March 26, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  23. beevee

There is something about the opponents of gun control. They need their heads exmained. Guns are not meant to be part of civilized societies. Any one arguing against gun control are not very different from Taliban.

March 26, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. reckless abandon

Did anyone see Heston say America's gun problem is because we are a multicultural nation? Then when asked about it further he cut off the interview and ran away? American hero? I think not.

March 26, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Big Man

I suppose if Carrey wants to continue getting roles in H-wood he has to do this public service spot for the agents in our nation that are trying to restrict our rights.

March 26, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |