March 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Jim Carrey mocks Charlton Heston

(CNN) – Charlton Heston's declaration that gun control advocates would have to pry his firearms "from my cold, dead hands" provides the punch line for comedian Jim Carrey's new video mocking the late actor and NRA president.

Carrey, who appears on a spoof version of the old comedy show "Hee Haw" both as Heston and as the frontman of a country-western band "Lonesome Earl And The Clutterbusters," is a vocal proponent of stricter gun control laws.

"Charlton Heston movies are no longer in demand, and his immortal soul may lay forever in the sand. The angels wouldn't take him up to heaven like he planned, because they couldn't pry the gun from his cold dead hand," Carrey sings in the video, which was posted Monday on the comedy website Funny or Die.

Heston, who died in 2008, rose to fame as an actor in movies like "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur." Later in life, however, he turned his attention to political advocacy, eventually becoming the president of the National Rifle Association from 1998-2003.

He famously used the line mocked in Carrey's video during a 2000 speech to NRA members, going specifically after then-Vice President Al Gore, who was running for president at the time.

"As we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!" Heston declared.

Carrey starred in movies like "Ace Ventura Pet Detective" and "The Mask." He actively argues his case for gun control on Twitter @JimCarrey.

Carrey said in a statement that he found America's rash of gun violence "frustrating" and the video was "my fun little way of expressing that frustration."

Filed under: Gun rights
  1. an old hope

calling people names like, gun nuts or anti freedom really does a lot to advance the dialog and get people to willingly discuss the problems and find solutions.

March 26, 2013 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  2. PeterR

Carrie has the courage to mock a dead man. He has the intellectual maturity to call NRA members baby killers. His contribution to this debate is Ignorance and hype. Offensive at best. His argument is weak. It's probably too much to expect that a comedian would have anything meaningful to say. You'd think he'd at least be funny while he's insulting our intelligence.

March 26, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. Chris in MN

Acting abilities aside, I don't think much of someone who has to mock others opinions to try to prove his own. If your beliefs and opinions have their own merit you don't need to knock down someone else's opinion.

March 26, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. reckless abandon

Everyone criticizing Carey for being a celebrity and injecting his opinion into politics should remember Heston did the same thing/

March 26, 2013 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. Anthony

Why the disrespect for another actor, a deceased one at that?

Heston'e movies may not "be in demand" But I'm very sure they'll be studing Ben Hur long after "Ace Ventura" is long forgotten. And They'll remember Heston long after Carrey is forgotten.

March 26, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  6. reckless abandon

Chris in MN so then you denounce Eastwood too right?

March 26, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. fsjunkie

Sorry, but Heston left a legacy that was to be a lightning rod for attack after he was dead and rotting...just like Joseph McCarthy's legacy in Congress. If you want to be an exaggeration...a caricature, then that's how you will be honored.

March 26, 2013 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. Tom from Canonsburg

The bottom line is this. Actors are professional liars. I after all of these years I still have trouble believing that the American voters elected an actor (Reagan) to be president and then re-elected him. But of course these are the same people that elected W twice. I know there are some smart actors, but these are people with training to fool the dim-witted. I recall Reagan's press secretary being on late night TV. He was asked about the negative coverage he was getting prior to his re-election. He stated that the American public watched the news while eating dinner and no matter how bad the subject line was, that just looked up, saw Reagan smiling and waving at the crowd. Everything was good. This even shows what that administration thought of the average American. So these professional liars have a profound affect.

March 26, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  9. Donna

I'm no longer a fan of jim

March 26, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. budshot

Heston knew what he was getting into back then. He was mocked then as he's being satirized and mocked now. And the gun people still hold him up as an icon (even though a lot of them probably don't know much about him) so he's a fair target. Just as LaPierre is. Just as Michael Moore is.

Nothing new as far as mocking somebody who symbolizes one side of something that's very controversial. Carrey's doing what's been done since the beginning of time. And he's pretty good with this one.

March 26, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  11. james

I trust my gov't....why should I be concerned of rumors Homeland Security (big deal, same name as Hitlers) is amassing ammo (hollow point?) assault rifles (I'm confused, who's supposed to disarm?) and tanks?....no worries!

March 26, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  12. BAROWNER

I have a funny way of expressing my frustration with Mr. Carry–I just wont watch or purchase any of his movies! We will see who has the last laugh.

March 26, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. fsjunkie

@Donna 12:37 – it's as much your right to no longer be a fan of Jim Carrey as it is Jim Carrey's right to not be a fan of Heston. The difference is that Jim Carrey is in a better position for people to hear what HE has to say than you. Why shouldn't there be equivalent celebrity voices on such major issues?

March 26, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  14. Really?

Banning guns because you want to keep them out of the hands of criminals is like castrating yourself because you think your neighbors have too many kids.

March 26, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. mike

Carrey has got some nerve ! Too bad you can't act . Go back to Canada if you don't like our gun laws . I don't remember inviting you here anyway !!

March 26, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. K from AZ

Must be frustrating to be rich & famous and, have the IQ equal to his shoe size!

March 26, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. Christfollower

Takes a lot of class to mock an American movie icon..oh wait, Jim Carrey doesn't have any class...AND his acting ability will never be on the same level as Charlton Heston.

March 26, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  18. dagdthompson

In the 1960s Charlton Heston was one of the first big actors to come out in support of Civil Rights. Jim Carrey advocated not getting vaccinated for things like Measles with killed more than guns last year according to the WHO. How many ARMED bodyguards does Jim Carrey normally use? If he has more than ZERO, he is a hypocrite who can't even mock a dead man without showing his own hypocrisy and having the dead man triumph over him. As B.A Baracus (from the A-Team) would say, "I pity the Fool!!"

March 26, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. GatorDude

Wow! I haven't seen a Jim Carrey movie in ages and I won't be rushing out to see one any time soon. His humor seems crude and classless. Since I'm not a fan, I can't really boycott him. However, no matter what your political persuasion may be, name calling and mocking the dead do little to advance any cause. It also diminishes the stature of those who use such tactics.

March 26, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. michael wilson

i wouldnt give you a nickel for carrey OR any of his movies

March 26, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  21. Hop

Feel better, Jimmy? Got it all out of your system? Good....

Now go make me another movie, monkey boy.
    Make me laugh, my darling fool....that's what I'm paying you for.

March 26, 2013 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  22. dion

Ensure domestic tranquilty. life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

number #1 is life......something those kids at Sandy Hook no longer have.

March 26, 2013 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. guest

reckless abandon

At least Heston could act

March 26, 2013 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  24. laughingstock

@Barowner,

My money's on Jim.

March 26, 2013 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  25. Oakspar77777

Heston's legacy? Military service in WW2, Ben Hur, The 10 Commandments, Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man, and Soylent Green.

Carry's legacy? Apart from being a Canadian, he has a few good movies, a lot of dumb movies, and nothing else.

March 26, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |