March 25th, 2013

Jim Carrey mocks Charlton Heston

(CNN) – Charlton Heston's declaration that gun control advocates would have to pry his firearms "from my cold, dead hands" provides the punch line for comedian Jim Carrey's new video mocking the late actor and NRA president.

Carrey, who appears on a spoof version of the old comedy show "Hee Haw" both as Heston and as the frontman of a country-western band "Lonesome Earl And The Clutterbusters," is a vocal proponent of stricter gun control laws.

"Charlton Heston movies are no longer in demand, and his immortal soul may lay forever in the sand. The angels wouldn't take him up to heaven like he planned, because they couldn't pry the gun from his cold dead hand," Carrey sings in the video, which was posted Monday on the comedy website Funny or Die.

Heston, who died in 2008, rose to fame as an actor in movies like "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur." Later in life, however, he turned his attention to political advocacy, eventually becoming the president of the National Rifle Association from 1998-2003.

He famously used the line mocked in Carrey's video during a 2000 speech to NRA members, going specifically after then-Vice President Al Gore, who was running for president at the time.

"As we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!" Heston declared.

Carrey starred in movies like "Ace Ventura Pet Detective" and "The Mask." He actively argues his case for gun control on Twitter @JimCarrey.

Carrey said in a statement that he found America's rash of gun violence "frustrating" and the video was "my fun little way of expressing that frustration."

Filed under: Gun rights
  1. ronny

that's funny.

March 25, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. stevetall

Bravo, Mr. Carrey! You're acting is much better than Old Stiff Guy's ever was!

March 25, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. gg

There is a special place in Hell reserved for the NRA and anyone else who supports and enables baby killers.

March 25, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. toadstool

Dumb and Dumber vs The Ten Commandments?
    I'd rather laugh than yawn.

March 25, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Joe in Kalispell

No more Jim Carey moves for me or my family.

March 25, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Anonymous

not funny

March 25, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. anne

I wasn't a fan of Heston nor his stance on guns. However, I also don't like people mocking a dead person. Carrey tries too hard sometimes in his quest for humor. This is one of those times.

March 25, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. Vatsi

Wow... I guess this proves he is more of an idiot in real life than he is on on the screen. And that's saying something!

March 25, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  9. Boo

To all of the Carey bashers....think you can do better?

March 25, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. lexie1961

Have to wonder why a Canadian thinks anyone in the US cares what he thinks about gun control.

March 25, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  11. Clint Eastwood

Yes – that Carrey guy is a sissy! I'm gonna shoot him off of my lawn right now! OOPS – it was a ten year old, I must have been seeing things that aren't there!

March 25, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  12. SnappinTurtle

I agree with Carey's stance, but I am afraid I will have to agree with Abe's assessment on comparing the two bodies of work. Carey isn't doing us any favors.

March 25, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  13. Smarter than ewe

More guns, more Soylent Green.

March 25, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. Shamus

Jim Carrey is still alive? Hopefully someone mocks the corpse of his career soon.

March 25, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. muchthunder..little rain

..not many movies lately..musts need some help..on air time

March 25, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. Donna

Of course Hollywood actors and elite will always blame guns, but contimue to churn out their violent blood filled rampage movies that kid swatch over and over. All while they get filthy rich in the process and of course hire ARMED guards to protect them, while they would advocate we all be left defenseless.

I'll never pay to see this buffon in a movie theater ever again.

March 25, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. Wake up People!

First and foremost I absolutely ADORED Charlton Heston when I was young and dumb. I loved the Ten Commandments (I still watch it every year), Ben Hur and the Planet of the Apes. I also used to love Clint Eastwood, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is one of my all time favorites. I also loved all the Dirty Harry movies. But these two actors have turned me off with their right wing hatred.

While Jim may not have been in any big name, big budget box office smashes, the man is funny as heck.
    Go Fire Marshall Bill! Yeck, yeck, yeck yeck!!

March 25, 2013 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Tom Hunter

Carrey is a washed-up actor whose career has been over since the 90s. Who cares what that has-been thinks.

March 25, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  19. Kent

Well I used to like Jim Carey, not any more ..... In bad taste.

March 25, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. California Gary

Carey isn't funny? Oh yeah, and alligators don't have sharp teeth......and pitbulls have weak jaws. If you don't agree with his political point of view, so be it. But don't say he isn't funny, or creative.......the guy is one of the funniest people on the planet. As for Heston, he was great in Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments.......but let's not forget he also did the original Planet of the Apes (there's a serious role for you). I think his "cold dead hands" comment was ridiculous, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good actor. A person's craft and their political point of view are two separate things.

March 25, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  21. Carrie

Who cares. Who wants to listen to the opinion of someone who plays pretend for a living? But we should give Jim a break since he's had no type of schooling since High School and probably never learned that criminals are criminals because they don't follow laws.

March 25, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  22. Jax

Once again (after the break down after Man in the Moon and his ridiculous relationship with the blond bimbo) Carey proves himself as idiotic as the characters he plays....

March 25, 2013 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  23. Lil Wayne Peirre

Anything that brings attention to the NRA holding the balls of so many politicians is a good thing. over 80% of the country wants reduced Mag capacities so mass murderers have to reload and back ground checks so insane people can't buy guns. But the NRA wants no part of it and as a politician if you cross them its NRA=Never elected again. NRA is only for the Gun and Ammo manufactures selling more guns and ammo, not for sportsman or hunters. Ex-Lifetime NRA member

March 25, 2013 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  24. Txjack

He want's Gun Control, let him move back to Canada.

Better yet let him move to Russia wher ehe'll ahve his Gun Contorl.

If only he was a good actor or even a funny comedian, then he might be missed.

Then what he say could be taken seriously.

But he's not so it can't...

March 25, 2013 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  25. The_dude

I don't get it. Who is jimcarrey think he is to diss a legend like Heston?

Sure Jim Carey had a couple of funny movies and then he had that hit tv show based on Cleveland but he really hasn't done anything since. Jim Carey movies are not in demand anymore either.

March 25, 2013 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |