Poll: N.J. voters not sure about 2016 for Christie but don't mind his weight
March 26th, 2013

Poll: N.J. voters not sure about 2016 for Christie but don't mind his weight

(CNN) - New Jersey voters are fans of their Republican governor, Chris Christie, but they're not as keen on the idea of the state's outspoken chief potentially running for president in 2016, a new survey indicates.

According the poll released Tuesday, 70% of voters approve of the job Christie is doing in office, another high number for the first-term governor who's up for re-election this year.

He comes out far ahead of his likely Democratic opponent, state Sen. Barbara Buono, by a margin of 60% to 25% in the typically-blue state. The governor has received wide acclaim for his handling of the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, which slammed into New Jersey's coast last fall. And 66% of voters, including 44% of Democrats, believe the GOP governor deserves re-election.

On the question of how Christie would fare as president, however, voters are more divided. Forty-one percent favor the idea, while 44% disagree that he would succeed in the White House. Less than half of voters–46%–would like to see their governor throw his hat in the 2016 ring, an election that would come in the middle of his second term, while 47% prefer that he stay in the state's capitol.

"New Jersey voters rate Gov. Christopher Christie's performance in Trenton at his now- routine astronomical level," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. "Would he shine as brightly in Washington? New Jerseyans' views are mixed. Ditto on whether he should run for president in 2016."

Nationwide, GOP voters feel slightly different. Multiple recent polls indicate Christie would be either the leading choice or among the top picks for the Republican nomination for president in 2016.

Asked how New Jersey voters feel about having an overweight governor, nearly two-thirds–64%–are comfortable with overweight candidate, while 17% have some reservations and 4% are very uncomfortable, the poll shows. A tiny amount–4%–are enthusiastic about it.

The governor is known for poking fun at his own weight, though he's acknowledged that he needs to make some changes. At a press conference in February, the 50-year-old said that he and his doctors did have a plan for his health, and "whether it'll be successful or not, you'll all be able to notice."

For the poll, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,129 registered New Jersey voters by telephone from March 19 through 24, with a sampling error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.

Filed under: 2013 • 2016 • Chris Christie • New Jersey • Polls
  1. Rudy NYC

Apparently a large percentage of that 70% do not know what Gov. Christie has really done for, or should I say to, New Jersey. His first year in office was as controversial as you can get. It was riddled with accusations of scandals and incompetence.

March 26, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  2. ST

64% of NJ are comfortable with Christopher's weight!! Really!
    I think you do not like him. With the weight he carries , he is at big risk of becoming diabetic, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke PLUS the heavy work being President. All these are killer diseases.

March 26, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. Wake up People!

Can't say anything about this dude that's not supportive huh Fox lite?

March 26, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

"The Quinnipiac University poll also shows that the governor's weight is of little concern to Garden State voters, despite the strong attention surrounding his size and his possible bid for the White House."

So which is more attention grabbing nationally, CNN? His size or his possible bid for the White House? In other words, will we be spending the next 3 years talking about his size ... or his policies?

March 26, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  5. Randy, San Francisco

New Jersey voters should not worry. Gov Christie won't be the Republican Party presidential nominee. He is not an acceptable candidate to Tea Partiers and extreme conservative purists.

March 26, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. John in Brooklyn

Fine...let him eat what he wants. But the man is downright dangerous if he allows conversion therapy for gay people to continue to be part of medical treatment in NJ, despite legislation passed by the legilature. Governor Christie, suicides of gay youth will be on YOUR watch!

March 26, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  7. Wake up People!

I guess we know who Foxlite is promoting for 2016.......

March 26, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota
    -------------------------------------------------
    As per the article:
    "My doctor continues to warn me that my luck is going to run out relatively soon, so believe me it's something I'm very conscious of," he said."

March 26, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Self-control, barring a glandular problem, that is what his weight speaks to: lack of self-control.
    The fact that he states that his doctor "continues" to warn him clearly says that we have a problem that's been brewing for Christies for some itme. A problem that only he can address but has hitherto failed to do so.
    A distinct lack of self-control and self-discipline, not leadership qualities, yet they are qualities typically found in a bully.
    And yes, the President quit smoking.

March 26, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. Wake up People!

I have a neighbor who has a grandson who is about 13. He is the sweetest young man you could ever meet but he is very overweight. I'm talking maybe 5" and 300 lbs. He kind of reminds me of the boy in the Nutty Professor movies. Last summer we were talking and I suggested he and I start walking once a day. That it would be good for both of us. (I sit down all day at work)He then told me his doctor said there is nothing wrong with him, that he's healthy. I'm sorry but I don't believe that. Just like I don't believe one word out of Christy's mouth. Any doctor that considers either of them healthy should have his license revoked.

I remember when I was a child and my best friends'brother was slightly overweight, he was placed on a strict diet and told he had too much fat around his heart and could die. He dropped the weight and hasn't looked back.

March 26, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. Rick McDaniel

The NJ Dems should be happy to have him as governor.......he is, after all, clearly a Dem, wearing a GOP label.

March 26, 2013 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

"If he continues on his current weight/poor diet trajectory we will more than likely be discussing burial plans for him."

Absolutely. His stubborness is what I most distrust about him. He is cognizant of his weight. But. [ end of story ]

March 26, 2013 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  13. Richard Long

Looks like everyone is looking forward to 2016.
    Obama hasn't even finished one year of term two :(

March 26, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  14. Al-NY,NY

well anyone considering voting for the all you can eat buffet CC had BETTER consider his weight. In 2008, John McCain added possibly the dumbest politician in the history of the US to his ticket. She was a heart beat away from running this country if Old Man McC died for some reason. What if CC picks Santorum, or Rand Psul? Who wants either of those numbskulls even close to the oval office??

March 26, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |