O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics
March 27th, 2013
1 year ago

O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics

(CNN) - Bill O'Reilly, the conservative Fox News host, believes same-sex marriage advocates have a more convincing argument than opponents, who do nothing but rehash scripture to make their point.

"The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals," O'Reilly said Tuesday on Fox. "That's where the compelling argument is. 'We're Americans. We just want to be treated like everybody else.' That's a compelling argument, and to deny that, you have got to have a very strong argument on the other side. The argument on the other side hasn't been able to do anything but thump the Bible."

O'Reilly has previously stated he takes a libertarian view on the issue, and repeated Tuesday night that it's a decision that should be left up to the states. "I support civil unions. I always have. The gay marriage thing, I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another."

Both sides of the debate clashed this week in Washington as the Supreme Court hears challenges to two cases dealing with the issue.

O'Reilly has been less critical of so-called Bible thumpers in the past. In a May 2009 column on his website, he again argued the matter should be decided by states but also said he understands that "most Americans believe heterosexual marriage deserves a special place in our society."

"Our Judeo-Christian traditions, which have made the United States the most prosperous and just society the world has ever known, speak to a family built around a responsible mother and a father-certainly the optimum when it comes to raising children," he wrote.

But, he argued, people who feel strongly about traditional marriage "have allowed themselves to be intimidated" and have refused to stand up for what they believe in.

"When was the last time you saw a Catholic cardinal or archbishop speak against gay marriage on television? I know–I've invited some of them. They all turned me down," he wrote.

His comments Tuesday weren't the first time he's taken on his own party. Last week, O'Reilly sharply criticized Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann for making "trivial attacks" and unsubstantiated claims of President Barack Obama's so-called perks in the White House.

Filed under: Fox News • Same-sex marriage
  1. rs

Cracks in the foundation.....

March 27, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. jinx9to88

Wow!!! First he blast Michelle Bachman over her comments at CPAC now this, is Bill changing?

March 27, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

-------------------------------------------------
    My sentiments exactly. I'm aligned with Chief Justice Robert's questioning about this being all about "labeling."

March 27, 2013 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

----------------
    Let's give Bill some more time to evolve on this issue. Civil unions are unconsitutional on the grounds that "separate but equal" has already been ruled as unconstitutional.

March 27, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  5. Rob

Wait a minute – what do you mean Bill "broke with his party?" Over and over again he has said he is independent – NOT A REPUBLICAN!

March 27, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. MaryM

Times, they are a changing. And rapidly

March 27, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. Bilbo

Why is government in the marriage business anyway?

March 27, 2013 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. geladius

Bit skeptical about his recent turn around.

March 27, 2013 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  9. geladius

Have to say I'm a bit skeptical about him doing this. He's always been about deception, don't see him doing other wise unless it's just to get ratings. Does seem like it's working though, shock enough people and they come to watch the freak show.

March 27, 2013 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. SkyKing169

How about that?! I actually agree with him.

March 27, 2013 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Scout

Wow! What happened to the "War on Christianity"?

March 27, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  12. Sean

In Canada we made same-sex marriage legal some years ago and, initially, I was against it. However, my attitudes have changed some what to look at it from a legal standpoint. Why shouldn't two consenting adults living in a, what appears to be, mutual and loving relationship not be entitled to the same rights and benefits given to married couples? As long as the union, marriage etc. isn't fraudulent then what is the big deal?

I still have issues with the Gay communities political stance on a number of issues, however, in this instance I believe they are bang on! You can't legislate relationships; nor can you deny benefits to people living in a communal relationship and raising children simply because the both of them are of the same sex.

March 27, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. sww

the government should only recognize "civil unions." "Marriage" is a label put on civil unions by traditon/religion. Anyone can get "married," we don't need the governemnt telling us who we can or can't love. we should be discussing what constitutes a relationship reaching the the threshold of being a "union" under the law to grant all these benefits people want.

March 27, 2013 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  14. Patty

Let's be clear on this...the only reason staunch republicans are "reaching out" is for votes. You don't change your mind overnight. Be wary people, be wary...

March 27, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  15. CTYank

I still can't understand why many people watch Bill spout, when there are commentary programs available with real content. Really, what does it matter what one person believes? (Except to her.)

March 27, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  16. Truth

I disagree with leaving it up to the states. No government should interfere with anyone's freedoms, regardless. I do, however agree with Bill. I do not feel strongly about it one way or the other. If I had to decide, I'd choose to just give the people what they want.

March 27, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. CB

Let's not get all excited about O'Reilly changing his spots. He says he doesn't feel strongly about Gay Marriage, one way or the other. He's still a pompous blow-hard. Ruppert Murdoch may have his head for this. But he won't be hosting on MSNBC any time soon.

March 27, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  18. politics are for the weak minded

Not shocking at all. Bill O'Reilly has always taken the stance of popular or growing opinions. He's the biggest flip flopper out there. He stands for nothing.

March 27, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  19. DenverCityBoy

Goes to show a true "ideologue" can have a moment of clarity.

March 27, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  20. robert Jay

Yeah and lets get past this absurdity about marraige and procreation – so what if a infertile woman wants to marry or an an impotent man wnats to marry – should that be against the law – or as one justice asked – how about twopeople over 55? The evangelical ideologists should try using common sense before speaking and promoting thier ideals!

March 27, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. Matt

O'Reilly has almost always been the best person of Fox. Now that's not saying much I'll grant you but his own show is the only one on Fox that ever has an opposing viewpoint on it. On any other program on Fox if there is someone with a liberal view point they are usually there simply to be made fun of. Bill lets his gets speak, listens to their arguments, and more often than not debates them with logical arguments. Now I rarely agree with him, but on Fox that is an amazing thing.

March 27, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. elka

very poor report. he always emphasizes that he is an independant. CNN shame on you.

March 27, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. wes

The problem is that we blended christian/pagen practices with government many many years ago when the first state-issued mariage license was issued. Civil unions do make sense, but legally you are subjecting a certain portion of society to differnt standards than others. It is essentially the "Blacks only" water fountains of the john crow days. Sure there is a means to get water by the other group, but is this really equality?

March 27, 2013 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  24. Nereida

I have a problem when children are involved. A child should have a man as a father and a woman as a mother. Other then that let have a civil union. Marriage I don't think so.

March 27, 2013 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  25. Steve R

Don't let him dupe you. This is O'Reilly doing best for O'Reilly. Expanding his sales base for book and TV deals. And when someone says: I was for Civil Unions but the gay marriage thing? I don't feel that strongly about it either way." Beware of the Flim Flam man.

March 27, 2013 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |