O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics
March 27th, 2013
1 year ago

O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics

(CNN) - Bill O'Reilly, the conservative Fox News host, believes same-sex marriage advocates have a more convincing argument than opponents, who do nothing but rehash scripture to make their point.

"The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals," O'Reilly said Tuesday on Fox. "That's where the compelling argument is. 'We're Americans. We just want to be treated like everybody else.' That's a compelling argument, and to deny that, you have got to have a very strong argument on the other side. The argument on the other side hasn't been able to do anything but thump the Bible."

O'Reilly has previously stated he takes a libertarian view on the issue, and repeated Tuesday night that it's a decision that should be left up to the states. "I support civil unions. I always have. The gay marriage thing, I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another."

Both sides of the debate clashed this week in Washington as the Supreme Court hears challenges to two cases dealing with the issue.

O'Reilly has been less critical of so-called Bible thumpers in the past. In a May 2009 column on his website, he again argued the matter should be decided by states but also said he understands that "most Americans believe heterosexual marriage deserves a special place in our society."

"Our Judeo-Christian traditions, which have made the United States the most prosperous and just society the world has ever known, speak to a family built around a responsible mother and a father-certainly the optimum when it comes to raising children," he wrote.

But, he argued, people who feel strongly about traditional marriage "have allowed themselves to be intimidated" and have refused to stand up for what they believe in.

"When was the last time you saw a Catholic cardinal or archbishop speak against gay marriage on television? I know–I've invited some of them. They all turned me down," he wrote.

His comments Tuesday weren't the first time he's taken on his own party. Last week, O'Reilly sharply criticized Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann for making "trivial attacks" and unsubstantiated claims of President Barack Obama's so-called perks in the White House.

Filed under: Fox News • Same-sex marriage
  1. Carl, Secaucus, NJ

If you're straight and get married by a justice of the peace with no religious ceremony, it's still considered marriage in the eyes of the law. On the other hand, there are some churches that have no religious objection to marrying gays. So I don't think its fair to say "marriage is defined by religion, and therefore gays can't get married, or they can't call it marriage." It's not true for straight people, and it's not true for all churches.

March 27, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  2. cheech

that's crap. greed and slavery, in it's many forms, have made us big

March 27, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Wake up People!

The funny thing is, I turned to Fox Noise yesterday evening. I do it from time to time just to see how long I can listen to it. O'Reilly just happened to be on. He was praising some young college kid for a school having to apologize to him because he refused to stomp on the Bible after being told to by a teacher. I thought to myself, where do they get their news? And now here he is today making a modicum of sense. Will wonders never cease?

Modicum (small amount) that's for you GOPers with your 3rd grade educations.

March 27, 2013 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. Rob-Texas

Government shouldn't be in the marriage business. Prior to the late 1800's it wasn't in the marriage business. The goverment should recognize civil unions reguardless of persuasion and leave marriage to the persons church of worship.

March 27, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. elvis costanza

Wow, I guess Hell just froze over, huh?

March 27, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. Tim

I take the libertarian position on this issue. Government should not be involved in, or recognize marriage at all. It's a religious ceremony.. What the gov't should do, is to recognize civil unions between people, of same or different gender, and if benefits are to be bestowed on those people enjoined in a civil union, then everyone should get them, regardless of the genders of the couples involved. I think the whole gay marriage issue is just a ploy to start down the road to force churches to marry same-sex couples.

March 27, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  7. Mark

It should not be left to the states to decide. There is nothing to decide in my opinion. Two citizens who want to get married should be able to get married. If it goes against others religious beliefs, tough. Not everybody has the same religion, not everybody has religion. Rights and laws should not be written by any religious belief, but of the belief of the people's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

March 27, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. Bill

"it's a decision that should be left up to the states"

You cannot leave federal civil rights issues up to the state. My goodness this man is dumb.

March 27, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. DumbasRocks [R]s

@God Bless Jesus, The NRA and Glen Beck! - You know, I agree with you, "It ain't right to stand by and let people live in Sin". Where do you want yours, in the back of the head?

March 27, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. Koheleth

I have never been a fan of O'Reilly, but he is right on with this issue. I am a retired clergy and I am fed up with the Bible thumpers trying to tell everyone else how to live. In this country we have for too long let one form of faith or another control our lives. Have we somehow forgotten that this nation was founded on freedom FROM religion! Accepting the idea of a God or his son, a Christ is an INDIVIDUAL thing and should never be a part of our political or social structures.

March 27, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. Wake up People!

If I'm not mistaken for a long time black marriages were not considered "real" either. I remember reading that a while back.

March 27, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. predicta

I;'m guessing the Supreme Court will back away from this issue and throw it back to the states, as the states are the ones regulating marriage by issuing licenses.

March 27, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. Nicholas Smith

SSM is an abomination.

March 27, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. Mr. Moderate

Cheech, ever reach the Old Testament, the foundation of "Judeo-Christian traditions", that thing is full of slavery. :)

March 27, 2013 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  15. SonnyRey, Maryland

"Gay" marriage is NOT a matter of equal rights! It is B.S. to state otherwise. We may not marry our children, our chldren may not marry their parents, etc., etc. Almost any gay can marry almost any lesbian and vice versa in any U.S. state, withing certain boundaries. That may change if the 'gay" marriage supporters get their way.

March 27, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  16. blf83

Jeez, I hate to agree with O'Reilly about anything, but here I do.

March 27, 2013 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. Too Much

Uh oh. Trouble in paradise.

March 27, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. SonnyRey, Maryland

MSNBC and CNN have pushed me to tune to FoxNews just to get away from them pushing "gay" marriage on us. I was Democrat turned Independent who is now flirting with Conservative ideals.

March 27, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. SonnyRey, Maryland

So what does "one country under God mean?"

March 27, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. Brian

" Granted, this country was founded on Christian principles" ...

Is that why we had slavery for 90 years. I get nauseated when I see that term "Christian principle."

March 27, 2013 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. knklhead

Could this be proof that the GOP and Fox News have the same marching orders? Try to broaden your base a bit or else continue to be crushed?

March 27, 2013 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Matt

Government should not be involved in marriage at all. It is a religious rite. To the extent that a union is contract, it should be governed under contract law – call it a civil union or whatever you want.

March 27, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Martin

Government has always has a role in marriage in this country. It's always been possible to get married at city hall, by a justice of the peace, a judge... And government has always enforced the obligations of marriage, and ONLY government can undo a marriage. The Catholic Church can annual a marriage, but it's not dissolved legally unless the government grants a divorce. Get your facts straight people!

March 27, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Do my ears deceive me?

O'Reilly is right?!

You can't explain that!!

March 27, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Mario

Man it must be a cold day in hell, because for once I agree with O'Reilly

March 27, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |