O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics
March 27th, 2013
1 year ago

O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics

(CNN) - Bill O'Reilly, the conservative Fox News host, believes same-sex marriage advocates have a more convincing argument than opponents, who do nothing but rehash scripture to make their point.

"The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals," O'Reilly said Tuesday on Fox. "That's where the compelling argument is. 'We're Americans. We just want to be treated like everybody else.' That's a compelling argument, and to deny that, you have got to have a very strong argument on the other side. The argument on the other side hasn't been able to do anything but thump the Bible."

O'Reilly has previously stated he takes a libertarian view on the issue, and repeated Tuesday night that it's a decision that should be left up to the states. "I support civil unions. I always have. The gay marriage thing, I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another."

Both sides of the debate clashed this week in Washington as the Supreme Court hears challenges to two cases dealing with the issue.

O'Reilly has been less critical of so-called Bible thumpers in the past. In a May 2009 column on his website, he again argued the matter should be decided by states but also said he understands that "most Americans believe heterosexual marriage deserves a special place in our society."

"Our Judeo-Christian traditions, which have made the United States the most prosperous and just society the world has ever known, speak to a family built around a responsible mother and a father-certainly the optimum when it comes to raising children," he wrote.

But, he argued, people who feel strongly about traditional marriage "have allowed themselves to be intimidated" and have refused to stand up for what they believe in.

"When was the last time you saw a Catholic cardinal or archbishop speak against gay marriage on television? I know–I've invited some of them. They all turned me down," he wrote.

His comments Tuesday weren't the first time he's taken on his own party. Last week, O'Reilly sharply criticized Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann for making "trivial attacks" and unsubstantiated claims of President Barack Obama's so-called perks in the White House.

Filed under: Fox News • Same-sex marriage
  1. robertholt

God has not left us without His Word. He has given us His Word – the Bible. I don’t see anything wrong with people quoting from the Bible. “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” 2 Timothy 3:16. Mr. O’ Reilly seems to show a lack of respect for God’s Word. “But I say to you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.” Matthew 12:36.

March 27, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  2. southernwonder

oreilly might change his poisition on condoms too. i think he may be planning to run for an office.

March 27, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  3. Cam Paine

It's odd that O'Reilly has chosen this moment to grow up.

March 27, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  4. cbp

Wow! Bill O'Reilly surprises us again.

March 27, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. DumbasRocks [R]s

liberalcat says "i'm a liberal who is tired of my democrats bologna." Sounds like you are ready to be a Rand Paul acolyte.

The average-IQ gap between [D]s and [R]s is already large. And the gap will grow even larger when the remaining low-performers like yourself finally leave the [D] party. The rightwing slackjaws on the other side have been calling out to you mental hillbillys for years now - I'm glad to see that you agree to finally answer their call - and don't the the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

March 27, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. jen

REMEBER....The Bible was written BY MEN!

March 27, 2013 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  7. Hepzibah

I'm an ordained minister and in full time ministry and agree with bill .. Finally fox goes against hate speech and speaks truth, Jesus loves homosexual just as He does straight, bi, or asexuals. His focus isn't on sex like most people are, His focus is on eternity. Jesus loves everybody and wills none to perish

March 27, 2013 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  8. Jeb

robertholt

The Bible was written by men, not God. It represents nothing more than the primitive world view of the bronze age goat herders who wrote it. When I listen to the backward, irrational statements made by people who live their life by the Bible, it makes me grateful that there is a separation between church and state.

March 27, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  9. JeffreyRO5

If only the conservatives could come up with a reason why gay people should be treated differently than straight people. That would be a big help on this issue.

March 27, 2013 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  10. Rock

I don't often agree with O'reilly, but I agree with him here... Why should we care who marries who? If you don't like the idea of gay marriage, don't get gay married!!

It makes sense to me if a particular religion may not allow or support gay marriage in their organization, but why should two people who Love each other not be able to make it legal on paper with the state \ government, And have the same rights and benefits that a heterosexual couple has?

Is our society really still that ignorant to continue these prejudices?

Shouldn't we concern ourselves with our own issues and not our neighbors?

March 27, 2013 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. ACE

Love is not the same as support. As a believer I love every person no matter what. People need to carefully analyze what the Bible describes as love. It is not necessarily a "feeling", it is an action. Now, that does not mean that a practice that is against my principles should be supported. I will teach the truth in love. If the person accepts, great, if not, move along. What is wrong is wrong in the eyes of God. He loves the sinner, but hates the sin. Ultimately if you practice what separates you from him, you will be lost forever. If you repent and seek him in truth and in spirit you will have eternal life with him. The only way to salvation is through Jesus Christ. Does the practice of homosexuality separates from God? According to the Bible (the word of God) it does. Does God love homosexuals? yes he does. does he love the act? no he does not. Ultimately, it is up to the individual. What is going to happen is unavoidable. It is written.

March 27, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  12. JP

Come on, Ashley. Is it too much for you to check your facts? You wrote, "His comments Tuesday weren't the first time he's taken on his own party." Check your facts, O'Reilly isn't a Republican.

March 27, 2013 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. really?

robert,

You are what O'Reilly is talking about. I don't like O'Reilly much, but for once, at least, I freakin agree with him. You can't just thump a book. I could pull meaningful and relevant quotations out of anything. Harry Potter, Hunger Games, they just aren't valid arguments. I get that you have an opinion, but base it in actual observation. Not some interpretation of words that have been translated millions of times over thousands of years. They've lost some meaning in the interim, and it's sad that you can just pull vaguely relevant quotes from the Bible and assume you're right because "It's the Bible!". It honestly doesn't matter. The Bible is lost in this world, and it isn't relevant any more.

When people perpetrate violence against each other, and are vile to each other, there is no relevant place for a three thousand year old text. We need to find peace with one another, as fellow people, not just hate someone because the Bible says so. If you're uncomfortable with someone's orientation or beliefs, don't interact with them. If you don't like them, be civil, but avoid them. I don't care who hates me and for why, just let me have the rights you have and leave me alone. I don't care what the Bible says, you can't dictate that someone is less equal than you because they don't live under your strict interpretation of the Bible.

You've probably met and dealt with many gay people without even knowing it. It's hard to find an intolerant gay person. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't met any. I have, on the other hand, met a lot of intolerant straight people.

I'm not going to say I'm better than a gay man or woman because I'm not gay. They better have the same rights that I do. They deserve everything that I deserve. They don't deserve more than I do, or less than I do.

Keep your Bible, it won't help any of us living in the real world.

March 27, 2013 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  14. George

He's trying to put his finger in the dyke and stop the bleeding

March 27, 2013 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  15. me

@robertholt... God left his words... as jen pointed out, man wrote it as well as translated it into several languages. If you rely on that as the word of God, I think you're in for a big surprise! Man has a hard enough time repeating a sentence correctly, much less documenting the word of God!

March 27, 2013 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  16. Dav

Honestly, what is wrong with having secular morality? Why is the only argument in favor of banning same sex marriage the bible? How does this not totally obliterate any distinction between church and state when the state is legislating based on biblical principles? The SCOTUS should strike down the marriage act, it is unconstitutional and flies in the face of one of the founding principles of this nation.

March 27, 2013 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. Miller

Apparently Mr. Reilly has not listened to the arguments.

March 27, 2013 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  18. Me

He realizes that his party has bigger fish to fry.

March 27, 2013 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  19. DavidInNC

People who want to engage in same sex marriage just want to be treated like everyone else. This is O'Reilly's argument for same sex marriage. Pretty weak argument. Murderers and rapist might say the same thing. Why not just spit in GOD's eye. I also take a libertarian view on the subject, but I don't condone it and do not believe that it should be allowed under the law. Moral decay has been the cause of destruction in every great society in history. It is one thing to believe in something, it is quite another to force your beliefs on others. Animals have more sense than humans and certainly more sense than O'Reilly.

March 27, 2013 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  20. seaann

It does not really matter what O'Reilly are any of the rest of them say.

What the Creator says trumps all of them. He is clear what His standards are for mankind.2 Timothy 3:16,17

What He had recorder in Romans 15:4" All things were written aforetime were written for our instruction,that through our endurance and through the comfort of the Scriptures we might have hope.

What was demonstrated at Sodom & Gomorrah is very clear on His feelings of marriage
    (they were destroyed)Genesis 19 chapter
    HE set the standards for relationship between man and women.Genesis 2:23-25.

The twisted minds of man with man and woman with is clear in what happened at those cities.Romans 1:26,27.

His Laws are set two men cannot have children nor can two women.

No matter what the Supreme Court in City or State. God's Perfect Laws trumps man's mess he has made.

March 27, 2013 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  21. matt houston

The Bible lost me at the Old Testament...and for the New Testament it lost me at:

Colossians 1:16
    and John 1:3
    and Revelations 4:11

God has a lot of explaining to do if the Bible is true.

If I created a group of living things with particular traits and then threatened them with Hellfire for following those traits I put in them...you'd call me psychopathic. This includes homosexuals, lucifer, demons, and all manner of "evil" things. Remember when shellfish, owls and eagles were an abominations in the eyes of The Big Guy? Talk about one crazy set of beliefs.

March 27, 2013 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  22. marilyn crawford

There have been many Bible believers who have supported O'reilly, I ne!!ver understood why. Satan is prince of the air waves and therefor the media. They have pressured one polititian after another with the gay rights issue. They are not of the Kingdom of God, and never were. Jesus warned of the persecutions Believers in Him would face. It is time to wake up because now we need to take the church into our living rooms and away from the liberal public who defile it. Time to start looking up!

March 27, 2013 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  23. Thoughtful

There are over six hundred Old Testament "laws" which were the Old Covenant, or Old Testament.
    Under those, many sins are punishable by death, including any form of adultery, eating shellfish, eating pork, wearing wool and linen blends, and hundreds more. These "Laws of Kosher Behavior" are clearly written to protect ancient societies from disease. Many of these laws came from Egyptian ideas about what was healthy, including laws about sodomy.

Now, when the Catholics eat pork, or Baptists eat crawdads or shrimp, we no longer enforce these Old Testament laws. The same is true of the laws regarding homosexuality. The New Testament is based on the grace of God's forgiveness, "all have sinned" yet "all are redeemed".

If we no longer stone people to death for having a pork sandwich, then maybe we should consider all the Old Testament laws as obsolete.

Face it, the evidence indicates that Jesus was friendly with homosexuals, he lived for years with a entourage of men, he never condemned homosexuals (who were, at that time in history, quite common!) and he even said a few things that would indicate an acceptance of non-traditional sexual practices.

Let's leave the whole judgement thing to God. There is no reason that men should usurp God's right to decide these things. Trust God to be able to affect human lives in any way he wants. Insisting that man's laws should prohibit homosexuality cuts God out of the equation entirely. Let God decide who is condemned, not humans.

March 27, 2013 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  24. mediafail2012

The tired and insulting comments of some of you liberals is pathetic. Your arrogance is incredible. As a conservative, I don't walk around thinking every liberal is mind-numbed repeater of democrat talking points because they are too lazy to think for themselves, even when I see it regularly. Yet somehow, liberals think they are just better than everyone else. Here's a clue for you...you are just as prejudice or more so than the people you look down your nose upon. Just because someone disagrees with your point of view doesn't make them an idiot or evil, and it also doesn't mean that you are smarter or more enlightened.

More likely is that you were fed a particularly leftist point of view all through college and you accepted it as true. There are plenty of idiots that agree with you as a liberal. So don't act like you are better than others.

O'Reilly has not "gone against his party" as the article implies he's a Republican. He has conservative views and some libertarian views. He can't stand Big Oil and wants more government intervention over them...does that sound like a conservative or Republican?

March 27, 2013 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  25. Mark

Strange. I browsed through a few pages of comments – and oddly most comments are either defending him or deriding him – and few are even debating his actual argument. His argument is that evangelists have not not or cannot formulate a compelling argument. Even today the Court just chewed through the procreation argument. In fairness, I think they need to rethink their language. If I am agnostic, Hindu, or atheist and your only argument is yelling scripture then there is not even a common language and if there is no language there is no discussion, It requires a return to reason – reason and religion were not always mutually exclusive – think of Spinoza or Berkeley. Evangelists are in the 4th quarter and need a new game plan.

March 27, 2013 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |