O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics
March 27th, 2013
1 year ago

O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics

(CNN) - Bill O'Reilly, the conservative Fox News host, believes same-sex marriage advocates have a more convincing argument than opponents, who do nothing but rehash scripture to make their point.

"The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals," O'Reilly said Tuesday on Fox. "That's where the compelling argument is. 'We're Americans. We just want to be treated like everybody else.' That's a compelling argument, and to deny that, you have got to have a very strong argument on the other side. The argument on the other side hasn't been able to do anything but thump the Bible."

O'Reilly has previously stated he takes a libertarian view on the issue, and repeated Tuesday night that it's a decision that should be left up to the states. "I support civil unions. I always have. The gay marriage thing, I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another."

Both sides of the debate clashed this week in Washington as the Supreme Court hears challenges to two cases dealing with the issue.

O'Reilly has been less critical of so-called Bible thumpers in the past. In a May 2009 column on his website, he again argued the matter should be decided by states but also said he understands that "most Americans believe heterosexual marriage deserves a special place in our society."

"Our Judeo-Christian traditions, which have made the United States the most prosperous and just society the world has ever known, speak to a family built around a responsible mother and a father-certainly the optimum when it comes to raising children," he wrote.

But, he argued, people who feel strongly about traditional marriage "have allowed themselves to be intimidated" and have refused to stand up for what they believe in.

"When was the last time you saw a Catholic cardinal or archbishop speak against gay marriage on television? I know–I've invited some of them. They all turned me down," he wrote.

His comments Tuesday weren't the first time he's taken on his own party. Last week, O'Reilly sharply criticized Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann for making "trivial attacks" and unsubstantiated claims of President Barack Obama's so-called perks in the White House.

Filed under: Fox News • Same-sex marriage
  1. Maleficent

@robertholt: You have a book made of up 66 smaller books, written thousands of years ago. The people who wrote them claim that God inspired them. You believe these people without question. Jesus was right when he called you people "sheep".

March 27, 2013 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  2. UrAverageJoe

What a liar O'Reilly is! No, he didn't do a show where he said that since Finland allowed gay marriage heterosexual marriage had fallen 50%. When the guest said she wasn't gamiliar with the study he said 'this is irrefuatable fact.' Turned out, at the time, Norway didn't even have gay marriage, so there wasn't a study. HE MADE THE WHOLE THING UP to advocate against same sex marriage. His statement that he's always been for civil unions and indifferent to gay marriage is just an absolute bald faced LIE!

March 27, 2013 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  3. Craig

Which side of history do you want to be on? Not everyone in the 1960's was in favor of civil rights.

March 27, 2013 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  4. JBK

I like Bill, but he is anything but conservative. It's all about ratings – the Spin!

March 27, 2013 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  5. motionlessinpink

The Bible does not say the being gay or gay relationships or gay marriage is a sin. The only reference that can be twisted into even getting close to condeming gay relatioships is a passage on Civilization Laws that were intended only for the Jews after their captivity and while they were rebuilding their civilization. Also listed in that same passage is a ban against cutting your hair, eating shellfish, marrying your brother's widow, and having sexual relations for any reason other than procreation.The Ten Commandments ban adultery and marrying for money or power. The Church says gay marriage is wrong because it is an afront to the family. Straight folks have done one heck of of job destroying what I think God wants a family to be. Two people who love each other, are commited to each other, and if they chose to have children raising them in a loving environment. So why are we encouraging and applauding thriteen year old girls having babies by the dozens, married couples cheating on each other like it was nothing and people living together without getting married because they want to keep their options open; while denying gays the right to marry. I 'm just so happy to see two people who really love each other and want to get married I don't give a flip if they happen to be the same sex.

March 27, 2013 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  6. retphxfire

Wow, O'Reilly must really be making the right and Tea Party members nervous. First, he blasts Bachmann, not its same-sex unions. I have to wonder where to pod is....

March 27, 2013 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. right wing hypocrisy

He who is w/o sin let him throw the 1st stone (at a gay person).

March 27, 2013 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  8. TLo

Bill O'Reilly... I AM Impressed! You're full of surprises. And you're brave to speak some common-sense. I'm sure you'll get heat from some on the Far >>>> Right. Keep it up!

March 27, 2013 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  9. James

@higgs boson Part of the explanation is that God isn't like that. "Christianity" today is a mashup of pagan religions and philosophy. The bible doesn't teach the torturer God, or that humans possess any kind of immortality (in body, soul, spirit, anything), or the existence of an eternally burning place called hell, or especially that God is some kind of sadist who pre-selects people for it. That stuff all came in from the outside. (The only eternal fire in the bible is God Himself, before whom evil is reduced to ashes. Thus, He keeps His distance from us, for our protection. Look it up and prove me wrong).

On the topic immediately at hand, christians have this tendency to reach to the arm of government any time it looks like they will gain an advantage, while never seeming to learn that it always comes with a steep price. If nobody had campaigned to make christian marriage a legal, civil, government-controlled issue in the first place, we wouldn't be here today, with christians arguing out both sides of their mouths.

March 27, 2013 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  10. Bob

Sorry but the "it's up to the States to decide" is the last desperate argument for someone on the losing side of history. It was used for slavery, segregation, interracial marriage, and abortion. The same tired arguments are nothing more than stalling tactics to keep people in the dark ages. "More study is needed!", "We have more important things to deal with right now. We should wait until there are no more (economic, political, international, cosmic) problems". The Supreme Court has already ruled (more than 14 times) that marriage is a fundamental right. The 14th amendment says you can't discriminate a fundamental class of people (and the Supreme Court has already ruled gays fits that definition). Therefore, you can't disallow gays to marry. And States can't vote on whether any group gets to have that right. NO ONE gets to vote on rights- THAT'S WHY THEY'RE CALLED RIGHTS. Otherwise, for example, Californians could vote that Mormons can't have access to cars or the Internet (and you know a majority of Californians would happily vote for that if it would stop them from coming to your door trying to convert you or those stupid Youtube "I am a Mormon" propaganda ads). BTW, does anybody find it ironic that the Utah Mormons created Prop 8 and got it to pass by making people scared of the "homosexual agenda" and scaring stupid people into thinking gays would "recruit" their children? Funny how I've never had a homosexual come to my door to try to convert me but over the years I've had HUNDREDS of Mormons interrupt my dinner to try to lure me into their cult.

March 27, 2013 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  11. Bob

Anybody think it is ironic that the Mormon Church created Prop 8 and used tons of scare ads claiming that without Prop 8, gays would try to recruit schools and children into "turning gay"? I've never had a gay person try to recruit me (or even heard of such a thing) but over the years I've had HUNDREDS of Mormons bang on my door during dinner and try to lure me into their cult.

March 27, 2013 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  12. Pope Benedict

Why is the marriage argument always about raising children? Can't people get married without having children?

March 27, 2013 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  13. The King

Translation: O'reilly has a gay child. The only time the right wing nuts show empathy is when it affect them or their families.

March 27, 2013 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  14. BelladonnaCove

The only person who can rightfully be called a 'Bible Thumper' -a derogatory term - would be this southern Baptist pastor (from the Philippines) who beat his wife until she had a severe concussion and her eardrums were ruptured. I hate "Bible Thumpers". He actually grabbed her by the hair in front of me , and I haven't forgotten what he said to her.
    Just something about those Baptists.

March 27, 2013 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  15. Gregg

God does not consign people to Hell; people have the choice. it is their desire (or in most cases their unbelief) that causes people to select Hell. Most of man will not bend their knee to the God who sacrificed himself for us. The Bible was written by those led by God as it says and as most evidence verifies. Bill O'Reilly does not really believe in the Bible; he believes in his own version of God but he like all will have to answer to God.

March 27, 2013 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  16. da

I don't listen to this clown. Why would I start now?

March 27, 2013 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  17. snowdog

Traditional God created marriage all the way. O'reilly is wishy washy. The Bible is God's word and never changes. Mans rules are evil.

March 27, 2013 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  18. snowdog

One day we will all be judged by God-the true and righteous judge.

March 27, 2013 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  19. Bebe

Bill O'Reilly is not as smart as I thought he was. I guess he never noticed that Animals do not mate with their same sex. That is more intelligent than humans these days. Anyway, I want to see these Same sex couples replenish the Earth together with No help from anyone else. That is not just Bible, that is Human Nature.

March 27, 2013 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  20. gary

god is pretend. Atheism is myth understood. Ancient myth and folklore has got to go.

March 27, 2013 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  21. jeff

This is simply another example of a hackneyed and very thinly disguised O'Reilly "good-cop-vs-bad-cop" role playing technique in order to make it seem to some that he is open-minded about at least some things. A tactic so well-worn that it should embarrass even the O'Reilly diehards if they were able to view such role-playing events objectively.

March 27, 2013 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  22. ReadThe Article

@robertholt

Even Bill O'Reilly admits you bible thumpers have no logical argument. And yet you bring the same garbage rhetoric.

March 27, 2013 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  23. foxxstory

@Robert Holt how can anyone know for sure is Gods words.. the bible was written oohh so long ago by MAN... No one knows for sure.. this is why you have FAITH!.......all you did was prove O'reillys point with your bible thumping

Here is another Matthew verse for you.... "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full." Matthew 6:5

March 27, 2013 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  24. Nodack

A high ranking FOX guy going against the Republican stance on FOX? What's he up to? He is threatening my I age of FOX. They are the anti Democrat station. I would have never guessed he would take a moderate stance on anything, let alone gay rights. Maybe FOX is trying to go center a little instead of wacko right. Perhaps the last election made them rethink things. Who knows?

March 27, 2013 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  25. Kathy

I am very disappointed in O'Reilly's comment about "Bible thumpers." I for one believe in what is said in our Holy Bible, and no where in it does it say God is okay with gay marriage. Now, what people do in privacy is their own business and they will answer for it upon their death, but I refuse to give in to the liberal view that gays should have the right to marriage!

March 27, 2013 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |