O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics
March 27th, 2013

O'Reilly blasts same-sex marriage critics

(CNN) - Bill O'Reilly, the conservative Fox News host, believes same-sex marriage advocates have a more convincing argument than opponents, who do nothing but rehash scripture to make their point.

"The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals," O'Reilly said Tuesday on Fox. "That's where the compelling argument is. 'We're Americans. We just want to be treated like everybody else.' That's a compelling argument, and to deny that, you have got to have a very strong argument on the other side. The argument on the other side hasn't been able to do anything but thump the Bible."

O'Reilly has previously stated he takes a libertarian view on the issue, and repeated Tuesday night that it's a decision that should be left up to the states. "I support civil unions. I always have. The gay marriage thing, I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another."

Both sides of the debate clashed this week in Washington as the Supreme Court hears challenges to two cases dealing with the issue.

O'Reilly has been less critical of so-called Bible thumpers in the past. In a May 2009 column on his website, he again argued the matter should be decided by states but also said he understands that "most Americans believe heterosexual marriage deserves a special place in our society."

"Our Judeo-Christian traditions, which have made the United States the most prosperous and just society the world has ever known, speak to a family built around a responsible mother and a father-certainly the optimum when it comes to raising children," he wrote.

But, he argued, people who feel strongly about traditional marriage "have allowed themselves to be intimidated" and have refused to stand up for what they believe in.

"When was the last time you saw a Catholic cardinal or archbishop speak against gay marriage on television? I know–I've invited some of them. They all turned me down," he wrote.

His comments Tuesday weren't the first time he's taken on his own party. Last week, O'Reilly sharply criticized Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann for making "trivial attacks" and unsubstantiated claims of President Barack Obama's so-called perks in the White House.

Filed under: Fox News • Same-sex marriage
  1. Ethan

Mr. O'Riley has not shared many of my views over the years–but it's nice to know that he's using logic for this argument, and standing up to the overly-religious right wing. Kudos Bill, kudos!

March 27, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. SPF

Even O'Reilly knows which way the wind blows. Too bad the crazy religious folks don't.

March 27, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. joe

Why is the government involved in marriage at all??? Is it not a religious institution and should be allowed or disallowed by ones church?

March 27, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  4. Vicky

Bill you missed the boat altogether. Its NOT about gays marrying... it about redefining marriage. And that my friend is worth fighting for.

March 27, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  5. ChcgoRlst

I love the complete dismissal of anything Fox News. It's almost as if I share the same sentiment, but with every one-sided liberal blogger. A guy takes a strong position for human rights, and the biased spew toxic venom continually dismissing rational thought from their opposition.

The greatest thing I've read today came to me in a private message, "Don't worry about them. They are nothing but toxic, vicious people who like to hate. Taking their hate away leaves them with no purpose." This came after I made a statement claiming I was a Republican that stood for gay rights. A gay man attacked me saying he didn't need our help because I was a Republican. It becomes difficult to shed any support for any group that harbors this mentality, but like an open minded human being, I dismissed the assault and received very kind support.

Anyhow, Bill is a solid guy with a great view on life. Everyone has the ability to change their views as everyone has the ability to learn. To disregard positive behavior because of being a party person only further proves there are some people who hate just to hate.

March 27, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  6. br

@Laguna_Greg, I didn't say fertility is not a valid concern, I said it is not a reasonable one. One reason I say this is that fertility can change over time. You can't really change gender.

March 27, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. freedom

Rehash scripture ? This is not the way to describe turning to Holy Scripture for guidance and through faith. And the argument of gay marriage as a law of the land goes beyond scripture. Where will it ever stop? There will be possibilities for polygamy, beastiality, and who knows what else. Civil unions are legal, and give partners legal rights. That's already in place. Let the states decide on the marriage issue – we have a culturally diverse nation – we should all have a voice in this. It affects all of our children – not just the chuildren of gay couples.

March 27, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  8. souljacker

@Told You So

So um, how do you explain all these gay people who were brought up by straight parents? Let's pray about this...

March 27, 2013 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. george cook

KEEP after them BILL...great job

March 27, 2013 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. M-W-T

Who even BELIEVES or watches fox news?????
    fox news or what ever you want to call it,........STILL SUCKS!!!!!!

March 27, 2013 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  11. Bill Richardson

Mr. O'Reilly also pointed out, most correctly, that this is a state's rights matter.

March 27, 2013 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. jsg

br, it does not mean that men and women are going to stop getting married if we allow gays to marry. Not everyone is going to turn gay and stop reproduction. That having been said, do you have any other arguments that may a tad more compelling?

March 27, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  13. muchthunder..little rain

so many infidels....my my

March 27, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  14. 49er

Extreme christians and extreme muslims...both have one thing in common beside their hate filled stands,

March 27, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. Reagan Jones

Bill O'Reilly is not a Republican - this writer should have done her homework.

March 27, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Thank GOD my mom or dad was not gay. How hard it would have been for me not to kill them if they were.

March 27, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. fbysea

Vicky – Actually no, it is NOT about redefining marriage but rather ensuring that equal civil rights are granted ALL citizens of this country. I'm guessing that your definition of marriage is precisely that of a Bible thumper.

March 27, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. Erik

I want to marry my dad.

March 27, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  19. Michael

If they want to be treated like every one else then the male should take a female and the female should take a male and marry.
    Other then that – you have a right to be
    Dum .

March 27, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  20. Odo

Marriage has been "redefined" and altered many times throughout human history...this is just another example of that and also an excellent example of why chuch and state need to be separate!!!

March 27, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  21. Bob

Broken clocks and all that.... It doesn't make the Faloofa Man a decent person.

March 27, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  22. Warren

freedom,

You are what is wrong with this country. Really "There will be possibilities for polygamy, beastiality, and who knows what else"

Do you really think that is what could happen? I think people are a little more intelligent than that.

March 27, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. eff_bush

Bill O'Reilly is not a conservative. He's a wingnut.

March 27, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  24. Ancient Texan

O'Reilly stresses he is an Independent, not a Republican, so the writer got that part wrong. He, and most folks, think that there should absolutely be equal legal rights for gay couples. The question is does it have to be called "marraige"?

March 27, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Moscue

I must admit, Bill's comments caught me by surprise. Maybe his common sense view on this subject can help translate to a more bi-partisan approach to other contentious issues

March 27, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |