March 27th, 2013
1 year ago

Petraeus apologizes for affair, says 'it was my own doing'

(CNN) – In a rare public appearance since admitting to an extramarital affair, David Petraeus apologized Tuesday night for the scandal that led to his resignation as head of the CIA last year.

Petraeus, a retired four-star general, has stayed out of the limelight since the affair was revealed in November.

FULL STORY

Filed under: David Petraeus
  1. GonzoinHouston

Something doesn't quite add up here. After all he's done, and given the important job he was doing, is an extra-marital affair really grounds for early retirement? His tactics were the main reason that, as conservatives love to claim, "ths surge in Iraq worked". Maybe if you're entrusted with the CIA's deepest secrets you are expected to be especially pure, or maybe the guy just feels tremendous guilt for what he did. Or, and I hope I'm wrong, there's another reason. Whatever, I still have a lot of respect for the man.

March 27, 2013 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

I know what he can do for redemption. Fix the backlog in veteran's benefits.

March 27, 2013 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Thanks for your service. That's all.

March 27, 2013 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  4. KevinInAtlanta

I never understood why politicans have to resign and apologize for having an affair. This is none of the publics' business. This should be between the person, his/her significant other, and whatever god they happen to pray to. After his many many years of faithful service to his country, this is how he is to be remembered. Society has its priorities screwed up.

March 27, 2013 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

Patraeus didn't resign for having an affair as much as he resigned over the gathering storm of questions concerning national security secrets that he may or may not have revealed. As long as he remained in office, it would have been difficult to hash it out behind closed doors.

March 27, 2013 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  6. missingmick

His affair signifies his lack of judgement, morals, and integrity - all of which are important to his job as a leader to our country and armed forces. As a leader of his standing, representing America in other countries, it is pertinent he conduct himself with honor. Also, where were his thoughts while commanding over so many lives? On his next hook-up, covering up what he was doing i.e. secret e-mails and e-mail names, living the lie toward his own family...lots to think about, lots of conniving to juggle.

March 27, 2013 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  7. Wake up People!

Thank you for your service General.

That said, who cares that he had an affair?? That's between him, his wife and the other woman. People need to stop being the moral police like their lives are perfect. There's an old saying and it seems to apply here.

"If you take time to clean your own backyard, you wouldn't have time to worry about others."

I'm sick and tired of people frontin' (pretending) like they're perfect.

March 27, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  8. Peace

There is nothing to apologise for General. You performed perfectly the job you were assigned for. If it is about apologising, you just do it or you have already done it to your your wife and should not be to the nation. I can understand why you are doing so. We have a huge problem of mixing up work, politics, with religion together.

March 27, 2013 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  9. Len

He was in charge of the CIA during Bengazi. He got off scott free. Everyone else was blamed. He was protected..Two of his men were killed Disney attend the service when bodies were flown back to US. He is not clean of this matter. Protected by HOP senators.

March 27, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. James Bond

I think it best he did retire, he would of been accused of being incapable of doing his job while juggling relentless questioning, better to seperate himself from the position, imo

March 27, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  11. James Bond

If he stayed, every major decision would be scrutinized, beyond reason im sure, dont give either party a reason to obstruct, and demonize.. i appreciate your service, and your ability to know when to exit, a rare quality amongst the powerful.

March 27, 2013 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  12. Babyboomer

I think an apology to his wife was all that was needed. He never left his post like South Carolina's former Governor Sandford. To me that was different because Sanford went MIA for a couple of days and left nobody in charge of the state. There was no evidence that the General did anything like that.

March 27, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  13. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

-------
    Is that a fact or is it your opinion.... I mean you're stating it as fact, so cite your source.

March 27, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Vaclav Nikdo

Don't apologize to me for having an affair. That is none of my business. But I do need an apology for your conduct because of the affair. You abandoned your office and left a job uncompleted when we needed you. You let public opinion influence your judgement. Men have affairs. Women have afffairs. But please don't let those moments of exposed human indulgence compromise the work you have agreed to perform. Apologize to your wife and children for the affair, but not to me or the American people. .

March 27, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. JGNY

If it was his own doing there would be nothing to apologize for. She clearly was there, (I guess), but who cares? I fail to see what he needed to apologize for to US or the Media? Who cares. His apology to his wife is all that matters and that is private.

March 27, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  16. BillC

Another federal employee who didn't fit with Obama's agenda taking one for the team and taking the pink slip over a fabricated scandal. Millions of mindless drones lap it up like the government's inner-circle is incapable of lying.

March 27, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair asked:

--------------
    Fox News Channel. :) O'Reilly and Hannity to be exact.

March 27, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  18. Gary Trenton

Yeah, no spit !

March 27, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  19. TJ

"It was my own doing". Of course; who else did it? Does he usually have an Aide do these things for him. It takes two, him and her and he was not smart enough to not fall for it. If anyone is going to invite him to speak, he would do better by not dragging this all out there, again. Unless he wants to be a "born again" and preach absolution for man's failings and we've had enough of those.

March 27, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. integrity

he put himself in the position of being able to be blackmailed while being the head of the CIA. Are you kidding me? You don't have a problem with that?! Even the most immoral people in Washington set up a rule against his behavior.

March 27, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  21. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair asked:

----–
    Fox News Channel. O'Reilly and Hannity to be exact.
    ----------–
    I see. So you're "regurgitating Fox News soundbites"... exactly what you accuse everyone who opines differently that you... lame, Rudy... really lame.

March 27, 2013 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  22. lottie

well now that that's all cleared up I guess he should run for office. Everyone else does.

March 27, 2013 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  23. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

------------------
    Not me. I don't make a habit of blasting the media. I only go as far to point out that it was created 30 days out from a presidential election in 1996, and all they ran 24/7 ads were mostly right wing political ads, which I'm sure were sold at very low rates.

Therefore, I exercise my freedom of speech to quote Fox News as I see deem appropriate. Beware of my sarcasm.

March 27, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  24. Name Uche Agonsi

what is it that American Constitution say on freedom of association & right of self expression .

March 27, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  25. becca

He, and he alone, opened that door back up. He did not have to include any apology in his speech. Already did that. Got him a lot of media face time, though.

March 27, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |