Romney still 'very concerned about the country'
March 27th, 2013
1 year ago

Romney still 'very concerned about the country'

(CNN) – His loss last November hasn't quelled Mitt Romney's worries the country is headed in the wrong direction, the former presidential candidate said in a radio interview Wednesday.

"I'm very concerned about the country," Romney told radio host and comedian Dennis Miller. "I wouldn't have gotten into this if I thought everything was going swimmingly. And I'm still concerned about the country."

Since losing to President Barack Obama in last year's presidential vote, Romney has kept a low profile. He emerged for his first public remarks this month at a gathering of conservative activists in Washington, and also joined the board of his son's private equity firm. In June he'll host a policy retreat in Park City, Utah.

In his speech, Romney hinted he would remain a part of the Republican Party's efforts going forward, saying, "I am sorry that I will not be your president, but I will be your co-worker and I will work shoulder to shoulder alongside you."

He reiterated that point in his interview Wednesday.

"I keep looking for the most effective way to get the country on the course of remaining strong and powerful in terms of our values, our military, our soft power, our economy," Romney said, admitting he felt a certain "frustration" at his diminished role.

"Obviously I don't have the influence I would have had if I had won that election," he said.

But in other ways, Romney said life as the loser of a presidential election suited him.

"I have to admit, being able to go back to our own life, going to the grocery store, shopping on my own, is kind of nice to do by myself, without a bunch of people hanging around with me. So I like the life of being an American citizen. It's good to live a normal life again," he said.

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Jean

BTW according to this very news organization that liberals so looove, Romney's federal tax rate is still higher than that of 80% of Americans. Wake up everybody.

March 27, 2013 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. freedom

@nothing new here

And you actually believe Obama is thinking about anyone but himself??? All he wanted to do was get re-elected to push his destructive agenda through. He let four Americans die in order to do that – and then lied to the American people. Thinking about others? NO WAY !

March 27, 2013 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. John the Historian

Romney was wrong for the country and the majority of Republicans saw that. Anyone who believes his mormon cult religion is not quite normal. Jesus Christ was not a polygmaist. Joseph Smith receive no 200 pound gold tablets from the archangel moroni and Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were both rapists and con men who only wanted power and money. DNA proves American-Indians are not descendants of Jews. No proof Jesus Christ preached to the American-Indians, Romney or Willard who were wrong for the USA.

March 27, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  4. fernace

If Romney is concerned then he needs to have a serious talk w/his party! They are what has been & continues to be the 'misplaced' wrench in the cogs! Clang, clang, all day long from the right! Let's continue to question the Benghazi situation, ad nauseum & fight about peoples const.iutional rights instead of getting to work on the economy! If they want less government that's it right there: The Economy! If they do nothing else all year, but get that problem under control, they will have done their jobs, but if they keep being sidetracked by 'pet projects' & social issues, then we get what we have! A GOT-Party more willing to continue as they have been than step up & do some "heavy lifting"! Romney, like his party, seems perfectly happy to pass this of as President Obama's fault!!

March 27, 2013 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  5. jummai yahya

i can't stop laughing

March 27, 2013 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  6. Wake up People!

Well if you're so concerned Willard, why don't you tell that klan of traitors of yours to WORK WITH THE DULY ELECTED POTUS NOT AGAINST HIM!

If you're not going to do that, sit the hell down and shut the hell up!

And ANYONE that thinks this Cayman Islands money hiding liar cares about anyone that's not a millionaire, think again.

March 27, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Peggy

Jean,

You must be well in your 90's. Hateful and miserable!!
    Also, you must be chillingly sad and wringled to the hard stiff bones of yours.

March 27, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. PJ

Now we are regurgitating guests of Dennis Miller??????????
    If I cared about Romney, or Dennis Miller, I would listen. I don't
    If I cared about anybody on, from or in any way related to Fox News, I would listen. I don't.
    If, as rumored, CNN is "chasing" Elisabeth Hasselbeck and they hire her, and if I cared, I would listen. I don't and
    won't.

March 27, 2013 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  9. 2012liberal

@wake up ppl i couldnt agree with u more. He is part of americas problem not the solution. U and all yr buddies bring yr $ back 2 the states from yr tax havens and invest it n this country tax dodger.

March 27, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  10. don in albuquerque

Yeah, he's real concerned. Concerned they may close loopholes on jets, horseys, owning more homes then Jebus had followers, what a fraud.

March 27, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"it is very telling that in the 2 years Obama had the House and the Senate democratic majorities he did absolutely NOTHING to change any of these laws so sit down and shut-up about how its all the repubs fault."

Except the Dems didn't have 2 years of "free rein" as you Teatroll talking point parrots like to claim. Ted Kennedy passed away in August 2009, which meant there couldn't be 60 to break the filibuster. Moreover, Al Franken was embroiled in an election lawsuit and couldn't be sworn in yet. Then, Scott Brown was sowrn in in early Feb 2010, giving the GOP 41 Senators and the ability to filibuster everything for certain.. There was, in fact, only a tiny tiny window of time during which the Dems were able to break a filibuster and get things done...and they focused on the economy by enacting the Stimulus as any Keynesian economist would tell you was 100% necessary. So yeah, yawn yawn yawn at the tired broken talking point about "2 years to do whatever they wanted."

March 27, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |