Romney still 'very concerned about the country'
March 27th, 2013
1 year ago

Romney still 'very concerned about the country'

(CNN) – His loss last November hasn't quelled Mitt Romney's worries the country is headed in the wrong direction, the former presidential candidate said in a radio interview Wednesday.

"I'm very concerned about the country," Romney told radio host and comedian Dennis Miller. "I wouldn't have gotten into this if I thought everything was going swimmingly. And I'm still concerned about the country."

Since losing to President Barack Obama in last year's presidential vote, Romney has kept a low profile. He emerged for his first public remarks this month at a gathering of conservative activists in Washington, and also joined the board of his son's private equity firm. In June he'll host a policy retreat in Park City, Utah.

In his speech, Romney hinted he would remain a part of the Republican Party's efforts going forward, saying, "I am sorry that I will not be your president, but I will be your co-worker and I will work shoulder to shoulder alongside you."

He reiterated that point in his interview Wednesday.

"I keep looking for the most effective way to get the country on the course of remaining strong and powerful in terms of our values, our military, our soft power, our economy," Romney said, admitting he felt a certain "frustration" at his diminished role.

"Obviously I don't have the influence I would have had if I had won that election," he said.

But in other ways, Romney said life as the loser of a presidential election suited him.

"I have to admit, being able to go back to our own life, going to the grocery store, shopping on my own, is kind of nice to do by myself, without a bunch of people hanging around with me. So I like the life of being an American citizen. It's good to live a normal life again," he said.

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Sniffit

"Romney still 'very concerned about the country'"

And nobody's concerned what Mittens thinks. See how that works?

March 27, 2013 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. Sniffit

""Obviously I don't have the influence I would have had if I had won that election," "

An almost tautalogical explanation of why he lost (pssst: we didn't want you to have such influence).

March 27, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    But it HAS quelled our worries.

March 27, 2013 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

If you're a rich guy, paying little to no federal taxes at all, then you should be very concerned that there is a new sheriff in town.

March 27, 2013 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. John in Brooklyn

Lot's of are still concerned.....that there are more politicians cut from the same cloth as Romney up for election in 2014 and beyond. Heaven help us!

March 27, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. Bill

Except the country is not concerned about Romney. Get lost loser.

March 27, 2013 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. NEVER to VOTE REPUBLICAN again

Who cares!?

March 27, 2013 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. John in Brooklyn

Lot's of us are still concerned.....that there are more politicians cut from the same cloth as Romney up for election in 2014 and beyond. Heaven help us!

March 27, 2013 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

Jesus would label Romney a heretic and a sinner becasue of his immense wealth. But, I don't think Romney believes in him.

March 27, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  10. Cathy

Stay back in your old life please,thats the best way to help.Oh,and take a crap load of congress with you.

March 27, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. The Real Tom Paine

But the trees are taller now.....

March 27, 2013 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. Name lynn

Rommey cant remember what color is obama is, an hes concern about the country roomey talks about 49% of the people whats that meant does roomey thats why he lost the president seat.

March 27, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. The NRA is a T e r r o r i st organisation....and do you know why Rush Limbaugh doesn't have guest in his show? Because he's a Blowhard who can't debate the issue

Hey Mitt Robme, if everything is NOT going swimmingly WELL in America...you & your 5 sons have the choice to join the military to fight our wars or better yet, feel free to go live with your millions in the Caymen Island or Swiss Bank accounts or you can get a way ticket to France and NEVER COME BACK!!!!

Stop with your little whinning or else I'll order a truck load of cheese to your California muliti-million dollar$ car-elevator fitted home!!!!

March 27, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. The NRA is a T e r r o r i st organisation....and do you know why Rush Limbaugh doesn't have guest in his show? Because he's a Blowhard who can't debate the issue

Hey Mitt Robme, if everything is NOT going swimmingly WELL in America...you & your 5 sons have the choice to join the military to fight our wars or better yet, feel free to go live with your millions in the Caymen Island or Swiss Bank accounts or you can get a ONE WAY TICKET to the south of France and NEVER COME BACK!!!!

March 27, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  15. nothing new here

What, are you kidding me?
    Romney is only concerned about one thing – Romney.

March 27, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. freedom

He would have not accepted a salary for being president, and would have paid for his own vacations. He also would have NEVER closed the White House doors to Americans. He also would have revamped Obamacare to not strangle businesses and degrade our healthcare system. Oh – how things would have been better now.

March 27, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Jean

You and me both Mitt, this guy Obama is chillingly clueless, frighteningly ignorant or just a plain old traitor – hard to tell which especially when he surrounds himslef with such people who are mediocre at best.

March 27, 2013 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. The NRA is a T e r r o r i st organisation....and do you know why Rush Limbaugh doesn't have guest in his show? Because he's a Blowhard who can't debate the issue

This guy is still smarting from his loss!...what a hard life to live off of your millions while paying zero (o) to no taxes compared to average American....you sure must be ranking top 5 amongst the 47% of Americans who do not pay any taxes!!!!

suck on wood loser!!!

March 27, 2013 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  19. Boo

Enough of this Romney garbage!!!! The election IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 27, 2013 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  20. Jules

The majority of Americans rejected everything Romney had in mind to do for this country – I mean to this country. I heard everything Romney had to offer during the campaign – not interested in what he has to say any longer. He can't even be a leader in his own party.

March 27, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

He's only worried about 53% of country.

March 27, 2013 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  22. Expat American

So who exactly is this Mitt Romney fellow [?]

March 27, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Sniffit

"It's good to live a normal life again"

He gave away all his money and houses and other assets and now lives on $33K per year in a rented 2br apartment, fervently hoping that Social Security and Medicare are not completely gutted by the GOP/Teatrolls' ideological vendetta against the middle-class and poor because his employers have, all his life, paid him as little as possible and effectively prevented him from saving for retirement while they pocketed 100% of any increased profits that resulted from his blood, sweat and tears?

March 27, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. Jean

If paying over 4 million to charity and not taking close to 40% of it as a deduction and paying approximately another 2.2 million in federal taxes qualilfies as little to nothing than I must be missing something . . . BTW Romney filed in accordance with the law on dividends and capital gains. Change the tax laws and fo rthose that "blame" republicans for blocking the change to tax laws, it is very telling that in the 2 years Obama had the House and the Senate democratic majorities he did absolutely NOTHING to change any of these laws so sit down and shut-up about how its all the repubs fault. If the dems really cared, and had serious bone in their bodies, about changing these laws they would have had a field day in that 2 year period making all the changes they claim to be so passionate about that the repubs are blocking. Wake up everybody.

March 27, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. Sniffit

""I wouldn't have gotten into this if I thought everything was going swimmingly."

"...and, as everyone knows, black POTUSes can't swim"

haha...I kid I kid...he didn't say that (he just thought it)...

March 27, 2013 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |