March 28th, 2013
1 year ago

Rush Limbaugh concedes conservatives 'lost' marriage debate

(CNN) - Conservatives who oppose same-sex marriage must accept that they’ve “lost the issue,” radio host Rush Limbaugh argued Thursday.

“This issue is lost,” the conservative firebrand said. “I don't care what the Supreme Court does, this is now inevitable - and it's inevitable because we lost the language on this. “

Limbaugh went on to assert conservatives “lost the issue when we started allowing the word ‘marriage’ to be bastardized and redefined by simply adding words to it.”

“Marriage is one thing, and it was not established on the basis of discrimination,” he continued. “It wasn't established on the basis of denying people anything. ‘Marriage’ is not a tradition that a bunch of people concocted to be mean to other people with. But we allowed the left to have people believe that it was structured that way. “

The Supreme Court heard oral arguments on the legality of same-sex marriage earlier this week.

Another notable conservative, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly, said on Tuesday that same-sex marriage advocates have a more convincing argument than opponents, who do nothing but rehash scripture to make their point.

"The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals," O'Reilly said Tuesday on Fox. "That's where the compelling argument is. 'We're Americans. We just want to be treated like everybody else.' That's a compelling argument, and to deny that, you have got to have a very strong argument on the other side. The argument on the other side hasn't been able to do anything but thump the Bible."

O'Reilly has previously stated he takes a libertarian view on the issue, and repeated Tuesday night that it's a decision that should be left up to the states. "I support civil unions. I always have. The gay marriage thing, I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another."

Filed under: Rush Limbaugh • Same-sex marriage
  1. Jeb

How many times has this conservative hypocrite been married? 6 times? And he's in a position to tell other people not to get married?

March 29, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Anonymous

This nutjob still doesn't get it, as usual.

They didn't "lose" because of a change in the meaning of the word. They lost because the federal government gives benefits for it.

March 29, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. Bill

You didn't "lost the debate" because the term was changed, idiots. You "lost the debate" because marriage was given legal blessing.

Get marriage out of the law, and you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

March 29, 2013 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. Wally

What the H is he talking about?

March 29, 2013 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. dzerres

Well Rush ought to know – he's on his fourth marriage AND he's never had children so there's goes that procreation nonsense too.

March 29, 2013 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. bombastus

What is strange about O'Reilly and Limbaugh's current positions is how upset "conservatives" will be. A true conservative wants to keep the government out of your business and the government should not interfere with who marries who. The same thing with abortion. None of your business, Uncle Sam. The only thing the government should do is equal rights under the law. These should be classic conservative positions. What we may be seeing is the GOP moving away from the social issues which they cannot win. Wow. We might then have two parties arguing about stuff that really matters.

March 29, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. The Real Tom Paine

-treblemaker

Back for one last comment...I would like to extend my heartiest congratulations to the LGBT community for somehow convincing the mainstream American public that behavior once considered to be one of the most immoral and amoral of sins is now considered totally normal and acceptable by the majority. One more thing...it's OK by me if you wish to reject the existence of God Almighty; I'm done trying to argue my point. Just remember, God Almighty gave us the free will choice of which path to choose in our life, and to face the consequences of our choice when our time is up. If by the end of your life your choice is still to reject the Lord, that's fine by me, also...just don't be surprised if the Lord returns the favor and rejects you. Your body goes back to the dust from which it came, but your spirit belongs to HIM!

Here's an idea. Think of your life as like the spinning wheel on the "Wheel of Fortune" game show. As long as it keeps spinning, you're alive, and you still have the free will choice to choose His way. When the wheel slows down, you know your time is near an end, and if you are having remorse over your choices, you still have the chance to reconsider, as long as you admit to the Lord from your heart that you were wrong, strip yourself of all self-pride and self-righteousness, and that you ask for His forgiveness. But there's one catch-the Lord can grab the wheel if he wishes at any time, stopping the spinning abruptly without warning, giving you no chance to reconsider any choice while the wheel spins. BTW, my idea goes for EVERYONE, not just the LGBT community. WE ALL FALL SHORT!!
    ******************
    You proved Bill O'Reilly correct. You make it about scripture, the rest of us accept that people have rights regardless of orientation or lifestyle, which is what makes this country great. A person's relationship with God is their business, not yours. Its nice that you realize you won't win, but have you considered the possiblity that your interpreation is wrong? None of us have all the answers. Go your own way.

March 29, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. Seriously

Never thought I'd see the day when I would agree with Bill Oreilly... WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

March 29, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. Jim

Fair is Fair

"Creationism is not science. Evolution is."
    -––
    Both require faith.

------

No. Evolution specifically requires skepticism. The scientific method is based on skepticism.

March 29, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  10. iwannatalk2

I do not support gay marriage. You can call me all the names that you want. That is my opinion and I have EVERY RIGHT TO IT. I do not think that the Supreme Court will rule to affirm it and alter what is a core of civilization across the planet. I believe in balance. I believe that it goes against the life order of the human race. Darwin's survival of the fittest and all that stuff. Any conscious decision that if carried out to it's fullest realization will cancel the continuation of the species is against the natural order of continuation. If you don't want to put a biblical spin on it then don't. I fully understand that there may be laws passed to allow anyone to marry anyone. But GENETICALLY we we are designed to continue the life cycle only ONE WAY. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY that is not artificial. We cannot change this fact. Is the only reason that gays want to be married to to get financial benefits? That is one point I do not understand. If you are gay and you become ill, if you want your partner to make decisions why not just give them power of attorney over you and leave all that you own to them in your will. But if you only want recognition of your relationship, well, hell, I may not approve of who my son or daughter brings home- for no other reason than I just don't like them. I don't have to recognize their spouse or respect their opinion, ever. So I need someone gay to explain that part to me- is it about insurance benefits and end of life choice?

March 29, 2013 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. Sandra LeVin

Gays SHOULD be allowed to marry – then they can be as miserable as everyone else.

March 29, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. griff-griff

I am a Democrat, a liberal, and I voted for Obama. But I do not believe that a man should be able to marry a man, nor a woman a woman. I never thoght in my wildest dreams that this would be a conversation in my lifetime. Scripture should be justification enough for my point of view. I should not have to need a compelling argument. There are some things that just doesn't look right. Before you jump on me, I know what you are thinking..You are about to say that interracially mixed couples does not look right either. Well, back to Scripture..Moses, a Hebrew married an Egyptian woman. It didn't seem to bother God. He never said that it was an abomination to Him. But when man sleeps with a man as he would a woman, that's an abomination... But either way you want to see it, I respect everyone's opinion on the subject. What I don't respect is everyone's facts.. It kills me to say this, but I agree with the Bible, Rush, and O'Reilley on this one. Marriage is between one man and one woman.

March 29, 2013 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  13. Florida Atheist

The definition is expanded as are Civil Rights for Americans. I love to hear the 6 time married blow hard whine.

March 29, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  14. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

I hate to bust your bubble liberals, but Rush is correct. Marriage is define and should only be define as a sacred bond between a conservative man or woman and his or her ASSAULT WEAPON. There you have it.

March 29, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  15. brian

Who is Rush Limbaugh?

March 29, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  16. Jeb

They've lost the debate because they are wrong. Conservatives are always on the wrong side of history. They fought against the end of slavery, the right of women to vote, the civil rights act, desegregation, interracial marriage, and now gay marriage. Their greatest fear is change and that guarantees that they will got the way of the dinosaurs.

March 29, 2013 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. BSmith

Ok it has gotten to the point of stupidity. This comes down to a WORD one simple WORD. Christians believe the Word MARRIAGE is a God given word. Gay/Lesbians want what Christians have. So let's get over the WORD. How about a new WORD? How about GARRIAGE? LERRIAGE? or GLARRIAGE? Quit fighting over a WORD. Most of us really don't care what you do in your bedrooms (and everyone gay or straight should keep it out of public displays) but why fight over the word. You are differen,t give yourselves a different name. I personally like GARRIAGE.
    GARRIAGE, GARRIAGE GARRIAGE GARRIAGE has a nice ring to it doesn't it.

March 29, 2013 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. It Existed

How many knew that gay marriage was a rite conducted by Christians up until the 11th Century or so? Prof. John Boswell who was on faculty at Yale University and Chairman of the History Department elaborates on this https://anthropologist.livejournal.com/1314574.html so that there is rich history behind this matter!

March 29, 2013 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  19. jamison

Only the ignorant bigots listen to Limbarf any longer.

March 29, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. MrCredik

Marriage is not "one thing", contrary to the scholar Rush.
    For religions, it's a sacrament.
    For most governments, it's a means of regulation of property rights and inheritance between individuals who cohabit. And of course in the U. S. A. a proscription of compelled testimony against a spouse.
    For tribes and nations in history it's been a way forging alliances or settling debts.
    But it's not one thing.

March 29, 2013 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  21. Skarphace

iwannatalk2: "I do not support gay marriage. You can call me all the names that you want. That is my opinion and I have EVERY RIGHT TO IT."

Absolutely correct. The problem occurs when people like you try and get our civil laws based on your opinion. You don't support gay marriage? Then don't get married to a person of the same gender. Simple. What you should not be allowed to do is prevent others from doing what, in their opinion, they should be allowed to do. It is their opinion and they have EVERY RIGHT TO IT. Just like you do.

March 29, 2013 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  22. Who Cares

There is a quote that I will reference here...

Render unto Ceaser that which is Ceasar's
    render unto God that which is God's

Let them do what they want... I have my own life to worry about

March 29, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  23. Who Cares

So I wonder.. what it takes to break through the moderation...

March 29, 2013 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  24. Jocho Johnson

Where's the moron that compares gay marriage to marrying a dog?

March 29, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. Who Cares

Nothing I say here is worse than anything that anyone else says .. in fact my posts are not personal insults

March 29, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |