March 29th, 2013
1 year ago

Carson apologizes for homosexuality comment

(CNN) - Neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who rose to GOP fame in recent months, apologized Friday for appearing to equate homosexuality with the criminal acts of pedophilia and bestiality.

"I love gay people. I love straight people. So this was really, I think, on my behalf, somewhat insensitive and I certainly apologize if I offended anyone, because I was not in any way comparing gays with people who engage in bestiality or sexual child abuse," Carson said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

Carson won conservative acclaim last month when he criticized Democratic policies on taxes and health care while giving the keynote address at the National Prayer Breakfast. President Obama was sitting just feet away as the renowned neurosurgeon openly chided some of Obama's positions. He has since been the center of speculation over a potential entry into politics.

As the Supreme Court heard oral arguments on same-sex marriage cases this week, Carson weighed in on the issue.

"My thoughts are that marriage is between a man and a woman," he said Tuesday on Fox News "It's a well-established, fundamental pillar of society and no group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA [pedophilia], be they people who believe in bestiality. It doesn't matter what they are. They don't get to change the definition."

"It's not something that is against gays, it's against anybody who wants to come along and change the fundamental definitions of pillars of society," he continued. "It has significant ramifications."

Carson maintained Friday his opposition to same-sex marriage, but said the rights that come along with being married should be granted to gay and lesbian couples.

"I'm not sure that it's necessary for it to be called marriage for them to have equal rights. Nobody should have more rights than anybody else," Carson said.

Students at Johns Hopkins University medical school are petitioning to replace Carson as their commencement speaker, saying his "expressed values are incongruous with the values of Johns Hopkins and deeply offensive to a large proportion our student body."

He said on CNN Friday he would adhere to what students at the university want.

"If the students want me to give it, I will give it," he said of the commencement address. "If they don't want me to, if it's going to cause problems for them, I will be happy to withdraw."

Filed under: Ben Carson • Same-sex marriage
  1. Donna

A Kickin` Donkey
    @ Donna , . .
    1) it was FoxNews, not the "leftist media" that asked him the question and he revealed himself.
    ---

I wasn't referring to where he said it, I was referring to the current media attack.

And what is this "revealed himself" BS? Just what do you think he "revealed"? He simply stated that nobody has a right to re-define a fundamental pillar of our society, namely marriage. I know this is heresy among the gays and leftists that now wish to use this baloney to smear people. I just wonder where all of your hate and vitriol for Obama when he had this very same viewppoint less than a year ago and for many years before that? Why did you all vote for this hate filled gay bigot in 2008?

March 29, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

This just feeds into the whole GOP mentality that they are victims. The big, bad media is going to make their latest pet attack dog look like the moral and ethical pauper he is, so, naturally, its the media's fault. Its interesting that they keep referring to the Democratic Party plantation, when these are the same people who demand total loyalty to their ideas, and punish those who stray ( Chris Christie). Just like the any other group with an increasingly totalitarian bent, the GOP will lash out, blacklist people, and cannonize those who disrespect duly elected officials they fear will force them to evolve.

March 29, 2013 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. wwf

Some pillar of our society with a 50% divorce rate. Quite the pillar is it not?

March 29, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

-Donna

A Kickin` Donkey
    @ Donna , . .

*************
    Semantics, Donna, semantics. Obama never used the kind of hateful, loaded language Dr. Carson used in his interview with FOX. Plain and simple, he never expressed the level of distaste by invoking words like " beastiality" when discussing gays. Sorry, no sale. You lose, again.

March 29, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Datruth

Well if he's black and a neurosurgeon, he must be an expert in everything!!!

March 29, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. Randy

The biblical reference that marriage is between a man and a woman is not the point. The problem is that the government affords certain rights and privileges to married persons that are not afforded to two people who enter into a contract to combine their lives together. I do not care what it is called, but legally it should be treated as the biblical marriage for the purpose of lawfully granted rights and privileges.

March 29, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Doc1

I agree with the meaning of what he said. I just think he worded very poorly.

March 29, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Sniffit

Back under the rock with this one. The GOP/Teatrolls are now taking applications for their next favorite token who shares their twisted, warped and bigotted view of the world.

March 29, 2013 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"The big, bad media is going to make their latest pet attack dog look like the moral and ethical pauper he is"

The "media" doesn't need to do that. Carson's own words did that for him. Simply reporting what he said and letting it speak for itself is not an attack.

March 29, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"I agree with the meaning of what he said. "

You agree that being gay is the same as pederasty and beastiality? Congrats on winning a bigot label too then.

March 29, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"He simply stated that nobody has a right to re-define a fundamental pillar of our society"

No he didn't. He equated being gay with pedophilia/pederasty and beastiality. That's what Santorum did that earned him universal shame via Google. Maybe we should santorum Carson's name as well.

March 29, 2013 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  12. 1twinsfan

I swear, they handed out shovels at CPAC just to help everyone dig the holes deeper.

March 29, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hey Donna you're working yourself up into a self-righteous hissy fit based on fallacies and self-created facts and "I know we are, but what about yous".
    Sit down, shut up and take your blood pressure medication.

March 29, 2013 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. Sniffit

The only pillar of our 'Murkin society I'm seeing here is bigotry.

March 29, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. GI Joe

I've got news for some of you - God didn't write the bible - MEN did, as a way to set rules to control other people.

March 29, 2013 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |