Obama hosts Easter Egg Roll, falters on the basketball court
April 1st, 2013

Obama hosts Easter Egg Roll, falters on the basketball court

(CNN) - With viral-video star "Kid President," American Idol's Jessica Sanchez, and the Easter Bunny at their side, the first family kicked off the 135th Easter Egg Roll at the White House Monday.

"It's great to have everyone here this morning. We are so excited," first lady Michelle Obama said from the White House balcony. "The Easter Egg Roll is the biggest event that we have here on the South Lawn of the White House each year."

The White House said more than 30,000 people were expected to flood the South Lawn, mostly young children. Various performers and celebrities were also on hand, including Jordan Sparks, Austin Mahone, and Coco Jones. Athletes in attendance included players from the Washington Wizards, several NFL teams, and NASCAR star Danica Patrick. A White House official said families of the Newtown, Connecticut elementary school shooting victims also attended.

The president hit several activities along the South Lawn, though he may have wished he skipped the basketball court. There, the hoopster-in-chief missed more than a dozen shots before one finally sunk. In all, he went 2-22 on the day.

“Oh, man," a frustrated Obama said as his shots kept hitting the rim. "Come on. Come on. Did you see that?"

After several missed attempts, the president handed the ball to a boy who promptly made a layup.

"He couldn't make one. I had to help him out," the 10-year old later said.

At Monday's White House press briefing, Obama's press secretary Jay Carney said the president "doesn’t get to practice probably as much as he’d like to."

Obama also made stops at the nearby tennis court, where he had better luck returning serves from lucky children who were chosen to participate.

"See how you can handle the lob," the president said as he returned one shot (the opposing child missed the return).

The president also stopped at the Easter egg roll itself, where he tried to console one young child who had tripped during the race.

"Shake it off," he told five year old Donovan as he gave him a hug.

The first lady and daughters Sasha and Malia also joined in the fun. Mrs. Obama first stopped at a cooking station with Chef Anne Burrell and NBC's Al Roker. Burell demonstrated how to make several healthy dishes, the recipes of which can be found on the first lady's website, LetsMove.gov.

Later Sasha and Malia read "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" as Mrs. Obama looked on. That was followed by the first lady's own reading of "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.”

The first family returned to the White House about an hour after they appeared. The event will continue all day.

– CNN's Alex Mooney and Becky Brittain contributed to this report

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

There goes the President once again indoctrinating our youth. I can't wait to read the radical right's comments on this.

April 1, 2013 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@Dutch Neport Newz Va
    The President did indeed look fabulous in his gray suit this Easter Sunday.
    Always thought that the Easter Egg Roll was a hilarious and unnecessary "tradition" but it looks as if everyone is having a good time. I do believe that if only because of the Hobble-like microscope that they've placed this President's acitivities under there is a more even representation of everyday children participating as well as the children of our military personnel.
    Either way I hope everyone had a happy and safe Easter with our without the bunny.

April 1, 2013 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Marita

It's refreshing to read about something positive once in awhile! – @Marita.

April 1, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

I loved egg rolls when I was a little kid. The first time I heard about an Easter Egg Roll, I imagined an egg roll stuffed with chocolate.

April 1, 2013 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. Paul

The Obama's apparently chose the most hateful, anti-right Episcopalian minister they could find, too!

Obama has a way with invoking hate, division and mean-spiritedness, doesn't he?

April 1, 2013 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  6. Bessy

Looks like fun ! I'm glad that they were able to have it and that the weather cooperated.

April 1, 2013 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. Tea Party Thomas

Now much did this little do cost us? Obama doesn't get it WE ARE BROKE.

April 1, 2013 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rudy NYC

-------------------------------------------------
    Rudy your posts often put me on an unintended trip down memory lane (I've been in this country since I was 9).
    I just wanted to thank you for that.

April 1, 2013 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Catmandew

Well at least the kids had a decent day. Obama can't shoot hoops and it looks like it all worked out.

April 1, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"You know, if I recall correctly, when Brown was running against Coakley, your comment was, quote, "the dude has about as much chance as a fart against a tornado".

It's certainly possible I may have said it at the beginning...not 100% sure...but I didn't insist on it for very long. Coakley was polling very well at the beginning, but Coakley's campaign fairly quickly distinguished itself as a singular disaster that even appeared to be disinterested in its own existence. I did recognize it...was sortof hard to miss. It was hers to lose and she managed to do everything she needed to do to lose it. Situation with Markey is very different. He's an experienced campaigner and quite popular.

April 1, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  11. Catmandew

I know technically we are broke but was good time for the kids so we should let it slide this time.

April 1, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |