Congresswoman receives death threats over gun bill
April 3rd, 2013
1 year ago

Congresswoman receives death threats over gun bill

(CNN) - Death threats have been called into the office of a Democratic congresswoman after she proposed legislation requiring gun owners obtain liability insurance.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-New York, said in a statement the calls were received in her New York office Tuesday "by young interns, who were understandably shaken by this experience."

"Given all the acts of gun violence we have seen in the past two years, the shootings in Aurora and Newtown, the attack on my friend and colleague Gabby Gifford, I take the threat of more gun violence very seriously. But it is not something that I will allow to stop me from doing my work," Maloney continued, adding that members of law enforcement were investigating the calls.

The New York Democrat introduced a bill in March requiring Americans to obtain liability insurance before purchasing firearms. A fine of $10,000 would be charged if gun owners do not purchase the required coverage. Maloney's bill exempts military service members and law enforcement officers.

"I am proud of my work to help curb gun violence," Maloney wrote Wednesday. "I strongly support the comprehensive package of gun reforms proposed by the Obama Administration and I have authored two common sense pieces of legislation aimed at keeping our communities safer."

CNN's Alan Silverleib and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Filed under: Carolyn Maloney
  1. John in Brooklyn

Just gotta say. Left wing folks call for peace and non-violence. Right-wingers call for...well....need I say more?

April 3, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  2. Wake up People!

I can hear it now.

Everybody knows the corrupt democrats are trying to take our guns away from us and it's actually them that are phoning the threats in.
    I'll have to check back in a few just to read all the illiterate comments from the right.

Can't wait....

April 3, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I'm all for this proposal. We have to get insurance for everything else in this country, why not for guns? These gun nuts no they can't win this battle, so they'll stoop to these levels to try instill fear.

April 3, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. sonny chapman

Just exercising their 1st & 2nd Amendment Rights.

April 3, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. plain&simple

How bright can one be to make death threats over having to buy insurance? We can all be reasonably assured that the death threats didn't use cars or knives as their weapons of choice!!! If these people own guns already how did these sane law abiding citizens obtain them? Gee maybe we should look into stricter gun laws!!!

April 3, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. mwhyt

Domestic Terrorism. Regardless of your political views, threatening violence because of them is TERRORISM.
    This country is great because we can discuss ideas without fearing violent repercussions. These individuals must be brought to justice.

April 3, 2013 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

Not good. And ugly, too. Is this what "take out country back" means? I've always wondered.

April 3, 2013 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. Malory Archer

Hope local law enforcement takes it seriously enough to investigate & prosecute, and if caller ID proves the calls came from outside the state, involve the FBI. The gun nuts are completely out of control.

April 3, 2013 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  9. Gurgyl

Gun-ban law is direly needed.

April 3, 2013 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  10. Al-NY,NY

Wake up People!

I can hear it now.

----------

here you go......."unamurkin to be takin' way ar gunz"" "diktator Obama wants to round us up"

April 3, 2013 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  11. Scott

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

April 3, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
    ____________________________________
    That that include you Dutch of Newport News, Being from Newport news you most likely have a gun or two, after all Newport News has a high murder rate.

Insurance on guns I think not, just another way for the Democrats to screw over the American Citizen. So are the bad guys going to buy insurance, and how are they going to enforce it. Another wasteful spending goverment program. Insurance is just another way for sneaky Obama to try to get everyone's gun registered, so when the time comes the Goverment can take ours guns. I think not, protect our right to own and bear arms without Goverment infringment.

April 3, 2013 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  12. MrBeenThere

I've been asking the same question for two years now...... Why not Liability insurance for gun owners. We have Auto, Motor cycle, Motor Home, Plane, Home Owners, Renters, Health etc............... It's only logical to insure your weapon from theft and accidents................

April 3, 2013 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  13. MADINTEXAS

Now – no matter what side of the fence you are on – this is insane – nothing more than lawyers making the laws we must abide by. I by no means support the threats and feel the perps should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, just as all criminals – which if that was happening – many of the issues surrounding gun control would be a non-issue. I am an avid outdoorsman, own many guns, and shoot regularly with my wife and kids – it is a respect and culture that we know and love. I ask – where is the logic in this – maintain insurance so that when someone invades your home and you wound them rather than take their life – so that they or their family can then sue you for using your weapon to protect yourself. Does this also mean that we will require the criminals to maintain insurance so that we can receive monetary compensation for damages incurred when they invade our personal property or inflict damage upon our property or person. Insurance for the liability of your weapon – another comedy act by our useless congressional leaders (both sides).

April 3, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  14. rs

Even more justification to knock down the NRA and their ilk. Just more of their "2nd Amendment" solutions. The NRA is just another home-grown terrorist organization. It should be treated as such.

April 3, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  15. Scott

MrBeenThere

_____________________________
    Becasue most guns are covered under homeowners insurance seen they are considered property. So what you are saying if someone breaks into my home and steals my safe which contain my guns and they get used in a crime, then i should have to pay??? Even thou I am responsible gun owner.

April 3, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  16. Malory Archer

We need to reapeatedly remind people like Scott that all guns and close range weapons of mass destruction were originally purchased by "responsible" "good guys", yet so many of them ended up in the hands of the "bad guys" and mentally ill people. If the "good guys" were really "responsible", those guns wouldn't have ended up in the hands of "bad guys" and the mentally ill, so yeah, they should have to purchase liability insurance.

April 3, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  17. 82ndABNVET

For those that say, "We have to have insurance for our cars, houses, etc....."

Do you also have to have insurance for your home computer? I mean you are excersing your 1st Amendment rights.

Should you also maintain insurance to excersise your rights against illegal search and seizure and right to a fair trial?

Owning a car is not covered under the Bill of Rights. Owning a computer is also not covered.

But, owning a gun is.

April 3, 2013 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  18. Anthony in California

What will be the knee-jerk reaction to this proposal?
    That it infringes on their Rights? No.
    That it will take away their guns? No.
    Oh.. That Homeowners insurance covers it?
    I say raise the insurance rate for guns then. If you want your gun freedom that badly, you should be willing to pay for it.
    Or we just go ahead and let you keep your guns, but raise the price of ammo x1000.

But but but...

April 3, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

----------------------------------------------–
    I don't own any guns. I used to own a gloc .40 and a AR-15 when I was in the Army, but I turned them in when I got out. And yes, Newport News does have a high murder rate. All the more reason why their needs to be stronger gun laws. If you're a law abiding citizen, tougher gun measures shouldn't effect too adversely. These laws need to be in place to deter those who intend on doing illegal activity. I'm not against the 2nd Amendment, however, I am against being bullied & extorted by the gun lobby. There is no reason for a civilian to have a 100 round drum, a 32 round magazine or an assault rifle. Period!

April 3, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. MADINTEXAS

rs -– You need to be careful of your accusations. I agree the NRA is harsh and takes a sometimes unrespectable stance on gun control issues, but you need to look a little deeper. Go through all of the reasons we are looking at gun control – every high profile case is centered around politically liberal persons. I would be willing to bet that these phone call threats, although not endorsed by the liberal powers in the government, are being conducted by some other derainged liberal thinking individual. The NRA is not going to publicly place threats – their threats are the livelihood of career politicians when they force them out of office.

April 3, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. Romney is Still NOT My Hero

Try to take away our guns or impose more laws – we'll shoot you. Give us more guns – we'll shoot you. We should just forget about the gun laws and ban these people from the US.

April 3, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. Malory Archer

82ndABNVET

For those that say, "We have to have insurance for our cars, houses, etc....."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My computer isn't capable of ending the life of another living thing, and I'll get rid of it if it starts firing lethal projectiles. Now be a good boy and take your little strawman home and put him away.

April 3, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  23. rs

82ndABNVET

For those that say, "We have to have insurance for our cars, houses, etc....."

Do you also have to have insurance for your home computer?
    _____________________
    Yeah, thousands are dead because of illicit uses of home computers... oh, wait.

So much for THAT logic.

April 3, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. Peoples State of Illinois

Sounds like a "made up" story to frighten people and try to convince more sheeple to support her bill.

April 3, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  25. j

All the gun control freaks want anything they can get to take away guns. If you want to live were you can not buy guns move to Chicago.

April 3, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |