Obama likes the look of California's attorney general
April 4th, 2013
1 year ago

Obama likes the look of California's attorney general

(CNN) – The crowds are apparently getting better looking at President Barack Obama's California fundraisers.

Singling out the Golden State's Attorney General Kamala Harris at a Democratic National Committee event in Atherton, Obama noted, "She's brilliant and she's dedicated, she's tough… She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general."

"It's true! C'mon," he continued, according to a pool report. Harris is considered a rising star within the Democratic Party.

Obama is in the Bay Area on a fundraising swing for fellow Democrats. He attended two events for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee on Wednesday night which raked in $3.25 million for the organization.

While no one argued with Obama about Harris' status as the "best looking attorney general" Thursday, a colleague back home might take issue: Vice President Joe Biden's son Beau is Delaware's attorney general, and his name means "beautiful" in French.

On social media, reaction was mixed - some though Obama's remarks were inappropriate, particularly for the commander-in-chief.

But others simply though Obama was offering a compliment - and the truth.

Was Obama being inappropriate in his remark? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. R1983

I don't think his comment were inappropriate, I voted for the President twice and think he is good looking and smart. It nothing

April 5, 2013 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. stambo

So that's the 'presidential' way of saying he'd tap that. Keeping it classy, eh barry?

April 5, 2013 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  3. chris

This is silly. When did we become so politically correct that a compliment is so blown out of proportion? I am not the biggest Obama fan, I am a Republican and often dont agree with him. But cmon!!! Give the guy a break here. He did absolutely nothing wrong here and we shouldnt be so THIN SKINNED.

April 5, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  4. R1983

wrong with calling someone good looking. I have always said how good looking Mitt Romney is.

April 5, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  5. sgs

Good thing a Conservative didn't say it! You liberals would have torn him apart – we would never hear the end of it!

April 5, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  6. AF Wife

So it is okay for the President to make the comment about a beautiful lady, but when the sportscaster from ESPN did it; he almost lost his job, Everyone at ESPN were falling over themselves apologizing for his comment. And if I remember right, that women was a model or something, but she earned her living using her beautiful face. But then again, I forget, anything Dems do is okay, because they are trying to "help" me, because I am to stupid to know what is best for me. No matter what the Repubs do, it is wrong, because they are the boogie man.
    Before anyone jumps all over me, I do not know the party affiliation of the sportscaster, and he could be a dem. Just for the record, I am an independant, and I am sick of both parties.

April 5, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  7. michael p fink

if i had a son he would look like trayvon, if i had an affair the woman she would look like kamala harris? guess we all have priorities, moral fiber is non existing in the political ranks of illinois,(chicago) obama is from illinois(chicago) ergo...??? Not his fault ,must be God's fault as He is the one that created her and blessed her with good looks. I wonder if she responded with " I have a mind too you know". .

April 5, 2013 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  8. Fred

I despise Obamas policys with a passion and wrestle with him on practically every turn (theology speaking strictly).

but for real? would it have been any different if a woman called a man "the most handsome"?

April 5, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  9. lord toronaga

I'm sure more than just her "Star" is rising. Ha !! My rocket launched. Maybe someone else's also. Sometimes I really like President Obama....he's kinda more in touch with the male-female world reality than conservatives.

April 5, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  10. Da

People are so narrow minded! They really try to turn everything Obama say or do around to fit negativity. Obama was simply talking about her credentials and accomplishments in the political stand point...smh at these foolish people.

April 5, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. KWozz

I am a huge Obama supporter, but find his comments out of line. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Obama (or any CEO, Manager, etc.) commenting that a male is "the best looking" when he is talking about his qualifications. Sexist. Inapproprate. Bad.

April 5, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. Steve B

He will get a pass because he's a Democrat. If it had been a Republican saying it, there would be outrage from the left. I personally could care less either way. We've got way, way, WAY more important things to worry about than this. But, for some, it's a nice distraction.

April 5, 2013 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. Mike

This is the same thing Brent Musberger had to deal with when he complimented the girlfriend of Alabama's quarterback on air. He didn't say anything inappropriate, just that she was gorgeous. He didn't make a sexually explicit joke or anything. It's a non-issue. Move on.

April 5, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Joe

I think he may be right, though I haven't seen all the other AG's to know for sure.

April 5, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  15. Altmetalpunk

How is that inappropriate? i remember conservatives talking about how attractive palin was when she was running for VP, which compared to most politicians she is. I don't remember any dems complaining about that. I mean i'm sure it happened. Either way what's inappropriate about calling a woman good looking if you are attracted to women? Sure he's married but he can at least go to the end of his chain and bark.

April 5, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. lord toronaga

I guess someone else has a binder.... :)

April 5, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  17. Anonymous

It's not that serious! Why should we care if he comments on her beauty.. Let Michelle worry about that. There are more important things to discuss then his comments about women's beauty. It was a compliment.

April 5, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  18. Miriam

President Obama is an American citizen and for such he exercised his right to "freedom of speech." Grow up people and dont be so rigid. President Obama is a different kind of president. He is very down to earth and very humble.

April 5, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  19. Michael Campbell

The quote: "She's brilliant and she's dedicated, she's tough… She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general. I didnt interpret that as her physical appearance, I interpreted as her overall status as AG. When he said best looking how do we know he didnt mean best looking as in best looking FOR THE JOB. Meaning, has the best looking resume. Now I could be be wrong because I didnt hear the context of his speech but from reading the quote above is an overall compliment to her skills, not her attractiveness.

April 5, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. Matt

I think it's much adieu about nothing. He paid a compliment, and if our society cannot accept that it says more about our culture than President Obama.

April 5, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. Anne Marie Wells

His comment was totally inappropriate. He is our leader, a role model for how men should act. So many women are not taken seriously because of their appearance. Why do men take it upon themselves to comment on women's looks saying it's complimentary? Objectifying women, taking away from their intelligence, creativity, and hard work, is not complimentary, it's insulting. He just invited the entire nation to ogle her, to value the person's outside beauty more than the inside. Is it somehow surprising that a good looking woman can be an Attorney General? Women's values should not be on how pleasing they are visually to men. As a woman who loves Obama, I am severely disappointed. I lost a lot of respect for him after reading this.

April 5, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. lkk158

Think we have bigger fish to fry! Hmmmm KOREA!

April 5, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  23. lkk158

Think we have bigger fish to fry...Like Korea...hmmmmm!

April 5, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  24. Majav

Is this why Michele Obama is a single mom now? Something's up Freudian's slip for this couple.

April 5, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Sam

I think she looks like a man...

April 5, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |