April 5th, 2013

Michelle Obama slips up, calls herself ‘single mother’

(CNN) – Her husband is one of the most powerful men in the world, but his wife seemed to forget about him for a split second during an interview Thursday.

Speaking with CNN’s Burlington, Vermont-based affiliate WCAX, Michelle Obama was describing the challenges of eating healthy for busy parents when she said, “Believe me, as a busy single mother - or I shouldn’t say single - as a busy mother, sometimes when you’ve got a husband who is president it can feel a little single. But he’s there,” the first lady said.

The first lady joined school children Thursday in the White House kitchen garden, planting lettuce and other vegetables. She’s made combatting childhood obesity a central issue during her time in the White House, and has spoken frequently about the challenges parents face in providing their children with healthy food.

“As a busy working mom, and before I was in the White House, I was in that position as well. Working, driving kids to practice, not having enough time to shop or cook. Not having the energy. Resources weren’t the issue, but time and energy is key,” she said in the interview with WCAX.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Pk duster

Oh my goodness i made a mistake im human

April 5, 2013 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

Meanwhile, her husband is describing how beautiful a politician is. Stay tuned.

April 5, 2013 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  3. Malory Archer

My husband was career military and spent many a long periods deployed so I totally get that.

That being said, let the feigned reichwing indignation begin....

April 5, 2013 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Here we go with the media made drama.

April 5, 2013 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  5. Rodney

Just shows you how self centered she is!

April 5, 2013 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  6. ST

That programme of "Brain Research" should be put in use in identifying each individual IQ of understanding. Michelle was quite right. Being single mom doesn't mean that you don't have a husband around where kids can call "Daddy", it means also you can have a husband in the house still every work regarding the family is done by the woman. Michelle can not ask the President to go shopping for the family or go to her garden and check how the plants are growing; or ask the President to clean up in the room when it doesn't look good while waiting for the cleaners to do their job. I do get her point.

April 5, 2013 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  7. Gurgyl

No big deal–we all err, come to fast conclusion–do wrong–human nature. Obama the best president.

April 5, 2013 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  8. Wake up People!

Oh the horror!!

Get a grip. I'm sure she does feel like a single mom sometimes. Her husband is the most powerful man in the world, so I'm pretty sure his time is limited.

April 5, 2013 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  9. Nash

This clearly can only mean one thing. She's a spy

April 5, 2013 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  10. dixie

What is she talking about? Single parents choose wheather to buy their own medication or shoes for their kid. They choose wheather to get clothing for themselves or for their kids who outgrow thiers evey three months. My kids don't get vacations. We have bills to pay. Single parent PLEASE!!!

April 5, 2013 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  11. uutech

I'm not even an Obama supporter, but this is SUCH a non-story. What the heck??

April 5, 2013 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  12. Rick in OP

We got hit by the one-two punch of the 2% increase in payroll taxes and the realization of businesses of the impacts of Obamacare. Don't even try to blame this on sequester cuts, government payrolls were only down very slightly.

April 5, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  13. Name DMan

oh please! Michelle Obama a single parent? Not close. There are countless families with husbands working away from home for days or weeks at a time but the spouse is supporting the family. She has countless assistants and aides to help. Nowhere near the single parent situation many families hsve with an absent or deadbeat husbsnd. Maybe BO should spend lrss time away golfing and

April 5, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  14. DMan

Oh please with all her assistants she can hardly call herself a single parent.

April 5, 2013 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  15. puparoo

Sorry Sweetie..but most single Moms don't get to send their children to private schools, have a full time housekeeping staff, chefs, whole military installations as their playgrounds, and get to say My Husband is the President of the United States what you feel is Lonely, maybe neglected, BUT you have NO idea what it feels like to be a single Mom I understand it was a slip up comment.. but that's like saying America Sucks when what I ment to say is American economy sucks BIG DIFFERENCE

April 5, 2013 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. kat

I'm generally a Michelle fan, but calling herself a single mom?? I am a single mom, and she wouldn't have the first clue what its really like to be a single parent, barely making ends meet, crying yourself to sleep at night because you had to choose between paying for food and paying bills. Just saying ...

April 5, 2013 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  17. Candace

For any wife whose husband travels and works long days for weeks on end, yes, it feels like being a single mother. The time spent together is PRECIOUS, and most conversations update the, thankfully, working husband, about the children, family, household, etc. Mrs. Obama is a hands on mom, even with her mother there, or sny of us, we can't expect someone else to raise our kids. To call out this "flub" is just a way to invite senseless criticism to FLOTUS. Our country has a whole lot more to be concerned about. Americans, wake up, and don't let the so-called news distract us from what's really going on.

April 5, 2013 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  18. diane

She is so self-absorbed. Personally, I am sooooooo sick of wealthy politicians and celebrities trying to "pretend" they know what the average American does 24/7.

April 5, 2013 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  19. Reality

Does Michelle receive extra welfare benefits by such a claim?
    My heart bleeds for her 'single" situation given her personal wealth and the full WH staff at hand.

April 5, 2013 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  20. TiminAL

Freudian slip, eh?

April 5, 2013 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  21. Mark

I didn't vote for Obama and I think this is ridiculous.

However, I'm looking forward to the Fox News and other spins on this. Michelle Obama: I'm a single mother. Barack Obama: California's AG is gorgeous. Analysis: Divorce in the White House? White House divided?

If and when that one shows up I'm going to enjoy the popcorn. The media and their spins and their reporting on absolutely nothing can be extremely entertaining sometimes ...

April 5, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  22. Marc

She probably is like a single mother. Her husband is the President. I don't suspect he is there very much. If you want to be a CEO of anything, then your family comes last. He's the CEO of American and leader of the free world. He's never home, and he ain't dropping the kids off at school or soccer practice. They are well taken care of, but I doubt he does any actual parenting tasks.

April 5, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  23. Jane

Don't we have enough problems in the world without CNN focusing on this non-story? If I wanted garbage like this I'd watch Fox.

April 5, 2013 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  24. Molly

Wow. I guess her saying that, even though its a lie, makes idiots think she can relate. Please, they have gardeners, cooks, assistants and im sure a slew of other people that us tax payes are paying for.

April 5, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  25. Lynn

@Dixie – being a single parent does NOT necessarily mean they have to "choose wheather to buy their own medication or shoes for their kid. They choose wheather to get clothing for themselves or for their kids who outgrow thiers evey three months." Maybe that's true for you, but it wasn't for me. I had a good education and a good job so when I became a single parent when my child was 2, we did fine financially. Energy-wise, that's another story...parenting alone, even with sufficient resources, is exhausting.

April 5, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |