April 5th, 2013

Michelle Obama slips up, calls herself ‘single mother’

(CNN) – Her husband is one of the most powerful men in the world, but his wife seemed to forget about him for a split second during an interview Thursday.

Speaking with CNN’s Burlington, Vermont-based affiliate WCAX, Michelle Obama was describing the challenges of eating healthy for busy parents when she said, “Believe me, as a busy single mother - or I shouldn’t say single - as a busy mother, sometimes when you’ve got a husband who is president it can feel a little single. But he’s there,” the first lady said.

The first lady joined school children Thursday in the White House kitchen garden, planting lettuce and other vegetables. She’s made combatting childhood obesity a central issue during her time in the White House, and has spoken frequently about the challenges parents face in providing their children with healthy food.

“As a busy working mom, and before I was in the White House, I was in that position as well. Working, driving kids to practice, not having enough time to shop or cook. Not having the energy. Resources weren’t the issue, but time and energy is key,” she said in the interview with WCAX.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. stopdumbness

How do you forget you have a husband.. I not saying this is a big deal or anything. but , if i were to say that I was a Single dad and in the same breath I go , I didn't mean "single Dad, I meant a Really busy Husband".. Again, How do you mistake yourself as a single Mom, especially when you probably do not do the same daily task as a Single Mom would be doing? you know with all her Assistance and all.. She is the Polar opposite of a single Mom. Not even Close..

April 6, 2013 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Catmandew

Michelle Obama the proud First Lady who was ashamed of our country till Obama got elected! Another slip up during an interview. Why not just tell the taxpayers the truth? You and your husband intend to milk the country for every penny you can and hang with the damage to our country.

April 6, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  3. Linda

don't forget that besides the possibilities/facts of single moms having it tougher financially and physically, there's also the emotional support of knowing someone is in it with you,......

April 6, 2013 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. tykl

Why not make it up like all of the O administration? Pretend O is poor. Pretend he knows what the common man goes through. Pretend he has any clue about the economy (don't look at the facts over the past over 4 years – OR just make up a litany of excuses as that is the only defense of O).

April 6, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  5. Dave

After what he said about the attorney general I am surprised that she has not filed for a divorce. What a complete lack of respect for his wife and his girls. Incredible.

April 6, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Michael

Aww damn! I can't believe she would do that! The nerve of her to have a slip of the tongue! Thank God for CNN's coverage of this!!!

April 6, 2013 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. Lyn Hopkins

Oh puh-lease!! Obviously the journalists were having a dead boring day.

April 6, 2013 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Jansen

Well he called another woman 'pretty', so his wife called herself 'single'. LOL

Yeah, the tabloids should be able to make something out of that for a few days,
    until the President and First Lady are seen out and about together looking very happy. This story dies in 78 hours.

April 6, 2013 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  9. SaggitariusGuy

It was just a Freudian slip.

April 6, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  10. msadr

that was weird.

April 6, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  11. Orville

With that type of slip, likely one of 2 things is true: she is very dissatisfied in her marriage and just admitted it for the first time in public (doesn't see her mate enough for it to be a solid bond, and why is that shocking what kind if couple spends all those vacations APART from each other as they do!!?), or, she hasn't been in a relationship with the president for quite some while now (putting on a show for public perception purposes). Frankly, either scenario is just as likely as the other.

April 6, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  12. Ammo80

From the heart a man/woman mouth speaks. It could be trouble brewing in the White House, and a slip of the tongue probably gave us a peek.

April 6, 2013 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  13. Woman In California

I must admit, I was quite surprised she said this since we all know the only way you can become FLOTUS is to have a husband who is the POTUS but she is human.

April 6, 2013 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  14. Chipster

Can anybody say anything anymore without having it picked apart like roadkill at a vulture picnic? What a stupid load of garbage over nothing!

April 6, 2013 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  15. Me

When the desire to identify too much....goes wrong! I'm sure she meant "stay at home mom!"

April 6, 2013 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  16. Dumber Dumb

This is not news. There is real science and real news happening out there that we are craving to hear about and we are fed this rubbish. We are not all morons.

April 6, 2013 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  17. Gwenbors

I knew it! Barack and Michelle Obama aren't really married, and this entire presidency is a scam to steal the Hope Diamond from the Smithsonian! South Park was right!

Or then again, maybe she's just super busy and made a single misstatement in an interview. 1) Why is this news? 2) Why don't we all cut the First Lady some slack?

April 6, 2013 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  18. Beefburger

How can she be counted as a "busy mother" period? The kids are on their 4th "vacation" already this year!

April 7, 2013 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  19. jayp

This is not news.

That said, I forgive her slip of the tongue. I say it too, even though I am married. My husband is in the military, and altogether has been home with us less than 1 year out of the last 4 years. It is extremely tough. At least I have a good job to take care of us in that way, but it means my son is without me a lot too.

I feel like, because I live like, a single parent.

April 7, 2013 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  20. Victor Eno

Definitely,this is not news and nobody is above mistakes. At one point In life we all make mistakes either in our statements,in our actions or in our decisions. The ability to correct our mistakes defines the very essence of our living. Please let's talk of more pressing issues.

April 7, 2013 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  21. Married single mothers

I was married to a man to worked hard and in doing so was gone for weeks at a time. I felt like a single mother but without the normal financial constraints that go along with that title. I understand the slip up. As far as taking care of her children are concerned, she is a single mother.

April 7, 2013 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  22. hoopla

Ms Obama has never known what it is like to be a single mom, with a single income, taking on all family responsibilities singly, and having nobody to lean on when times get tough. It's a bit insulting to us real single parents that she disregards her husband and comfortable home, and thinks for even a second she can relate to single parents.

April 7, 2013 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  23. Gilles

What's the fuss about? Do you have any idea of the President daily schedule?

April 7, 2013 05:26 am at 5:26 am |
  24. gerard

If I had to listen to Obama's ideas all day and knew deep in my heart that history will identify him as our worst modern day president I may also have a fantasy bubble up to the surface and announce that I am single

April 7, 2013 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  25. Emmanuel

She just made an open and unbiased statement. Press should feed us with better things than making something out of nothing!

April 7, 2013 08:40 am at 8:40 am |