April 5th, 2013

Michelle Obama slips up, calls herself ‘single mother’

(CNN) – Her husband is one of the most powerful men in the world, but his wife seemed to forget about him for a split second during an interview Thursday.

Speaking with CNN’s Burlington, Vermont-based affiliate WCAX, Michelle Obama was describing the challenges of eating healthy for busy parents when she said, “Believe me, as a busy single mother - or I shouldn’t say single - as a busy mother, sometimes when you’ve got a husband who is president it can feel a little single. But he’s there,” the first lady said.

The first lady joined school children Thursday in the White House kitchen garden, planting lettuce and other vegetables. She’s made combatting childhood obesity a central issue during her time in the White House, and has spoken frequently about the challenges parents face in providing their children with healthy food.

“As a busy working mom, and before I was in the White House, I was in that position as well. Working, driving kids to practice, not having enough time to shop or cook. Not having the energy. Resources weren’t the issue, but time and energy is key,” she said in the interview with WCAX.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Jen

Diane ... she was once an "average" american. Cut it out.

April 5, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  2. Borderless

Somehow this article accidentally landed in the Politics section of a news site.

April 5, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  3. us1000

most presidents' wives are kind of single mother, because husbands do not give them enough time together except appearances in public together. may be that is michelle thinks that she is a single mother.

April 5, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  4. bobroberts

wow, imagine if Ann Romney had said that. The lefties would be blowing up the internet with statements about how she never raised her children anyway

April 5, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  5. liberal disease

she has 40 assistants, she has no clue and tries to hard to make us think she is like us, she is a Rich social climber worth millions

April 5, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  6. Wake up People!

@bobroberts.

Well thank God, Ann Romney will never have to worry about it because SHE will NEVER be the FLOTUS!!!

April 5, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  7. Joi Gibson

@Malory Archer
    My husband was career military and spent many a long periods deployed so I totally get that.
    That being said, let the feigned reichwing indignation begin....
    ---------------------------------------
    My friend, it did not take long at all – they are out in full venom mode. There are times when my mother felt like a single parent because my father was in school, the military, working – she had to do it all. Just because Mrs. Obama is the First Lady does not mean she is not a hands-on mom – her children are just that, her children, First Lady or not.

April 5, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  8. Truth

I love how people are tripping over themselves to make excuses for her and explaining that somehow she really "is" (it depends on what your definition of "is" is) a single mother. She is not. A single mother is not married to a man or another woman. Typical left-weiners setting standards for all other groups while blowing off anything that their 1%ers do.

April 5, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  9. T

So, democrats are allowed "slips of the tongue" because they are humans, but if a republican makes a slip, they are automatically sexist, racist, intolerant or whatever. . .

I also love how democrats "evolve" on issues, but if a republican changes their stance, they are flip-floppers.

Okay, just making sure that the double standard is still there.

April 5, 2013 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  10. Babyboomer

I've heard other married women call themselves "Single Mothers" when there spouse is away alot. Being a single mom myself for many years, I have often corrected them for saying that. I get what they are trying to say but honestly, they don't have a clue what being a "Single Mom" really is. I suspect she is a bit frustrated from years and years and years of her husband being away and that's all. Even with a ton of help, I suspect she just misses her husband. That's typically what the women I know have actually meant by that statement. While I am a hugh supporter of our First Family, I also see a bit of overexposure for the First Lady at this point. I suggest she drop back from the spotlight for awhile.

April 5, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  11. Sniffit

Haha...I bet it sometimes feels like that for her or any FLOTUS given the hours the POTUS must work.

April 5, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  12. Ghostonefour

She is just trying to relate to the 80%+ of Democrat voting women who are single moms.

April 5, 2013 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  13. Sniffit

Hey, GOPers/Teatrolls, don't you have something better to be obsessing over than a meaningless verbal slipup...like oh, I dunno, domestic drone attacks and UN black helicopters coming to take all your guns, inject you with melanin and waterboard you into subservience to the new world order?

April 5, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  14. Sniffit

"I love how people are tripping over themselves to make excuses for her"

No excuses even needed. Ergo, your entire premise is faulty

April 5, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  15. jc

Just a Freudian slip. Single motherhood is the most honored familial condition in certain political circles.

April 5, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  16. Bianca

As a single mother I take offense to her "feeling" like she is one. She has a staff full of others to take care of both her and her children's needs. And no, I am not a right-wing crazy, just a real democrat.

April 5, 2013 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  17. enuff

I once accidentally said "Rusty Biscuits" instead of "Risky Business". SO WHAT? Everyone has moments when their tongues do not do what the brain says.

April 5, 2013 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  18. Mike

A slip up reported by CNN? The 57 states in the contiguous United States don't care...

April 5, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  19. Rick McDaniel

This was a political statement, in support of welfare hand outs. In order to do that, the Obamas, feel perfectly OK, to allow seniors to go without needed care, and die.

April 5, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  20. CalDude

Busy? with what?
    House full of servants and maids and she's too busy....lavish vacations every six months....oh please... give us a break.

April 5, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  21. Thinkergal

I am 60+ years old, and Mrs. Obama is the most fantastic First Lady in my memory (which is as sharp as a tack, thank you). Her children appear to be well-adjusted darlings. This is a first family of which this nation may be proud!

April 5, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. CalDude

When the Obamas slips up it's just an honest mistake.

April 5, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  23. rad666

Babyboomer you are right on the money there!

April 5, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. They both did

Freudian pay back for his [Kamala Harris] "best -looking" coment??... Seems like they both "slipped" recently.

April 5, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. Canes

@Thinkergal...I'm sure the Obama's are a great model for a good hearted family. Unfortunately can't say the samething about Obama being a good President.

April 5, 2013 10:09 am at 10:09 am |