April 5th, 2013

Michelle Obama slips up, calls herself ‘single mother’

(CNN) – Her husband is one of the most powerful men in the world, but his wife seemed to forget about him for a split second during an interview Thursday.

Speaking with CNN’s Burlington, Vermont-based affiliate WCAX, Michelle Obama was describing the challenges of eating healthy for busy parents when she said, “Believe me, as a busy single mother - or I shouldn’t say single - as a busy mother, sometimes when you’ve got a husband who is president it can feel a little single. But he’s there,” the first lady said.

The first lady joined school children Thursday in the White House kitchen garden, planting lettuce and other vegetables. She’s made combatting childhood obesity a central issue during her time in the White House, and has spoken frequently about the challenges parents face in providing their children with healthy food.

“As a busy working mom, and before I was in the White House, I was in that position as well. Working, driving kids to practice, not having enough time to shop or cook. Not having the energy. Resources weren’t the issue, but time and energy is key,” she said in the interview with WCAX.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Doushus

The puppets of TPTB are short-circuiting! Take them back in the lab for reprogramming.

April 5, 2013 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. Malory Archer

Canes

@Thinkergal...I'm sure the Obama's are a great model for a good hearted family. Unfortunately can't say the samething about Obama being a good President.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He's head & shoulders above any POTUS hailing from the rethug camp for the last 60 years.

April 5, 2013 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

@Malory Archer
    My husband was career military and spent many a long periods deployed so I totally get that.
    That being said, let the feigned reichwing indignation begin....
    --------------–

As was mine (10 years), so I'm with you 100%. I also get it.

April 5, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  4. Stepasidesue

None of us could stand up to the scrutiny of having every word we said being analyzed and judged. This article has nothing to do with politics but you repubs can't stop being haters. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

April 5, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  5. rick

Forget the birth certificate. Let's see the marriage certificate.

April 5, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  6. NotYoDaddy

So many groups to Pander to, so confusing.

April 5, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It isn't totally without foundation. Her husband was a legislator for sometime. Obama spent time DC and away from home for long periods of time. Now as president, how often is he home to help with homework?

April 5, 2013 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  8. Just Me

I imagine that she does feel like a 'single mom,' but even if her husband is the President and she's alone, she's not really alone as she has a small army of help. But, what upsets me is that if this had been a Republican slip up, CNN would have attacked with the full fury of the press.

April 5, 2013 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  9. JimBob

@Malory Archer

Canes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*********************************************************************************************************************

Come on, He's not THAT tall.

April 5, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. Name

Yes, because her plight is similiar to a single mothers. Comparing a busy father to one that doesn't exist is an absolute joke. You people will make excuses for anything.

April 5, 2013 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. MaryM

yep, she made a mistake. She is human. Which is more than I can say for the people making insinuations about their marriage

April 5, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. Guy Smiley

Ha, the slip up. All part of an act for the public? Barry not into women much?

April 5, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  13. Anonymous

yeah, having no job and 1000 secret service servants, life is so tough michele.

April 5, 2013 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. cgs

Can you imagine if Ann Romney had said that? I'm sure her husband worked long hours to run successful businesses and a state. She would not get the sweet excuses that Michelle is getting from the left.

April 5, 2013 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. Dean

Malory Archer

Canes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---------------------'He may be tall, but as doing the job of president, he is a total failure.

April 5, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  16. Deandra

My husband is a shift worker. Works 12 hour shifts, sometimes at night, and two weekends per month. That equals a lot of missed kid's activities, bath time, homework, etc. Yes, even working, married women can feel like single moms and I have actually said that to my friends so I totally understand. This is our lives and please don't mistake it for complaining, but I understand the slip up.

April 5, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  17. Amy

Well at least she wasn't reading books nervously to Schoolchildren on the same morning she planned an attacks on the WTCs.

April 5, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  18. A Kickin` Donkey

I`ll leave any judgement of her "single mom" 3 NANOSECOND mis-speak to a select group of experts. There names are: Roselyn, Nancy, Barbara, Hillary, etc.

Only that subset of women has any idea how lonely it may be to be married to the President of the US. "Single mom" was certainly not what Michelle meant but make no mistake about it, emotionally & parentally she is in a special circumstance.

April 5, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  19. edmundburkeson

Maybe she should stick to being a cheerleader for television celebrities!

April 5, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  20. Jerry

Duh! The question is not how many mistakes she and Barry have made, but how many more are on their waiting list. Doesn't this woman engage her brain before she speaks?! I think not! And this is someone Américans are ordered to follow and emulate?!

I don't think so...

April 5, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  21. BrianMemphis

I love seeing the left wet themselves by accusing the right of hate. Someone said it earlier so many groups to pander to, she forgot who she was.
    We'll I guess since the majority of black women with children are single in this country, she'll join a well-established group.

April 5, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Lilli

I'm married and oftentimes feel like I'm single....unfortunately, this is the NORM for
    so many married women, especially working outside of the home moms! You end up trying to do it all because of spouses in positions that take them away from family, especially our men and women serving in the military. And the FLOTUS being married to the most powerful man in the world, our POTUS, must really feel single at times while raising those beautiful girls!

April 5, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  23. PV

So what. We all make mistake. We are human being.

April 5, 2013 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. Peace

I have got another thought and this time I have to go against Michelle. Michelle, how can you have both? You are not called first lady by accident. It has a lot of meaning. How many of your fellow women are called first ladies? You can not accept that title at the same you want to pretend you do not accept it and put yourself in the same category like any other normal women. The title of your husband put you where you are now and you have to carry all baggage which come along with it.

April 5, 2013 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  25. w l jones

That is no different than a production worker working twelve on twelve off which make a husband and wife feel single.

April 5, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |