April 5th, 2013

Michelle Obama slips up, calls herself ‘single mother’

(CNN) – Her husband is one of the most powerful men in the world, but his wife seemed to forget about him for a split second during an interview Thursday.

Speaking with CNN’s Burlington, Vermont-based affiliate WCAX, Michelle Obama was describing the challenges of eating healthy for busy parents when she said, “Believe me, as a busy single mother - or I shouldn’t say single - as a busy mother, sometimes when you’ve got a husband who is president it can feel a little single. But he’s there,” the first lady said.

The first lady joined school children Thursday in the White House kitchen garden, planting lettuce and other vegetables. She’s made combatting childhood obesity a central issue during her time in the White House, and has spoken frequently about the challenges parents face in providing their children with healthy food.

“As a busy working mom, and before I was in the White House, I was in that position as well. Working, driving kids to practice, not having enough time to shop or cook. Not having the energy. Resources weren’t the issue, but time and energy is key,” she said in the interview with WCAX.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. ThinkAgain

@Anonymous: I see you've swallowed hook, line and sinker the GOP's lie about everyone receiving federal aid is lazy and unwilling to work (a "taker").

The majority of food stamp and other aid recipients are the working (WORKING) poor, the elderly, students and people with disabilities (who would probably give their eye teeth to be able to work).

Turn off Fox, pull your head out, and start thinking for a change.

April 5, 2013 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. Bill D

In a way, she is sort of single. Her husband is too busy flying around all over the country campaigning his socialist agenda.

April 5, 2013 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain

@werthrough: "What a waste of flesh and taxpayers money that "so-called" woman is..."

When I first saw your screen name, I thought it said "wethrough" as in you'd soiled yourself again.

Then I realized you were trying to spell "we're through", but being a low-wattage bulb, you blew that, too.

April 5, 2013 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. ThinkAgain

@Leroy: "Something that ugly SHOULD be single. hey moochelle, the piranhas just called and they want their teeth back."

Quite the inbred, aren't you?

April 5, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. ThinkAgain

@KevinDitka: "Single moms get so much support that it's become a glamorous thing. I've nothing against a widow or a divorced parent but there is no way America should praise women who choose not to vet the person they choose to provide access to their womb and end up a single parent."

Wow, where to begin with your post ... Glamorous? Vetting? Like the men in these scenarios have nothing to do with it ... If it's so great, why don't you do it?

BTW, did you give this advice to Quitta Palin's spawn when she got knocked up by Levi – or do you reserve your bile for just the darker folks?

April 5, 2013 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. ThinkAgain

I admire and greatly respect our FLOTUS – and I don't have a problem with her making this minor slip.

BTW, if the "lame-stream" media is always "conspiring" to present the Obamas in a "positive light", then why this story?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

April 5, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  7. JJ

Poor michele, she has it so rough almost like the many millions of other mothers in the USA.

April 5, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  8. Jokesterer

She obviously needs another $4,000,000 vacation.

April 5, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. Justin Garcia

I'm more concerned with the idea of you people thinking Obummer is one of the most powerful men in the world... BIG FAIL and apparently so is his "marriage"

April 5, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Babyboomer

Wow, the haters are out in full force today. This mistake was just what ya'll were looking for. Kinda like attack dogs. Honestly, while I love her (and her husband) I hope Mrs. Obama takes a step back out of the lime light for awhile. The hatred is palpable and it's actually waring some of us out.

April 5, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. pjusa

Life can get so confusing at the top!

April 5, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. ThinkAgain

@Laughable: "Just laughable... how can someone make that mistake. It speaks to all of the lies about The President. Who is he?"

Beats the heck out of:
    "I'm telling you there's an enemy that would like to attack America, Americans, again. There just is. That's the reality of the world. And I wish him all the very best." –George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 12, 2009

"In terms of the economy, look, I inherited a recession, I am ending on a recession." –George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 12, 2009

"And they have no disregard for human life." –George W. Bush, on the brutality of Afghan fighters, Washington, D.C., July 15, 2008

"I can press when there needs to be pressed; I can hold hands when there needs to be - hold hands." –George W. Bush, on how he can contribute to the Middle East peace process, Washington, D.C., Jan. 4, 2008

The list goes on and on and on and on ...

April 5, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. Susan

I'm willing to bet that Mrs. Robinson, Mrs. Obama's live-in grandmother-in-chief, is feeling kind of offended right now.

April 5, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. P G Williams

America has billions of dollars. Do not let Satan tell you to rob the poor of Social Security and Medicare to pay back
    the money in other people's bank books.

April 5, 2013 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

The First Lady sat down and had breakfast with her kids this morning. I wonder when she's going to be impeached? The First Lady kissed her kids and sent them off to school this morning. I wonder when she's going to be impeached? The First lady waved to the White House Press crew this morning. Gee, I wonder when she's going to be impeached? The First Lady wears pants from time to time. I wonder when she's going to be impeached. Its an overcast day in the nation's capitol, gee I wonder when the First Lady is going to be impeached?

April 5, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. Marita

So what about the remark? I'm sure, it feels like that at times, being the wife of the President! I'm not in love with either one of them, but, I'm sure there was nothing malicious intended with her comment! – @Marita.

April 5, 2013 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. Poor Thing

It must be tough spending millions on multiple vacations while your husband plays golf. At least she doesn't have to work like the starving out of work folk...oops I slipped

April 5, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. Richard

Justin Garcia: You said "Obummer" instead of Obama. That is SO funny. I have NEVER heard any one call our President "Obummer". How did YOU ever think of that???? You must be the smartest guy in the world. Obummer, wow, that is so clever. I bet you got straight A's in school and can do advanced trig and physics in your head....without even using a pencil! Obummer..... man, I am SO impressed. Obummer, it just sounds good to say it. You should write a song called "Obummer is Dumber" or "Obummer in the Summer". I know YOU can come up with a much better rhyme than I can! I think they should start a church, "The First Church of Obummer" and make YOU the pastor. Then you could preach about his birth certificate and how he is a Muslim and a Socialist, and did cocaine when he young, and used to smoke cigarettes. I need to go take an Advil and lay down for 20 minutes. Your brilliance has made my head hurt because I'm trying so hard to think of ANYTHING more clever than "Obummer"
    What an idiot.

April 5, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. Poor Thing...

It must be tough spending millions of taxpayer dollars on multiple vacations while your husband plays golf. At least she doesn't have to work like the starving out of work folk...oops I slipped

April 5, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. kirby

So what! She oops in conversation. The right "oops" in every line that spew from their freaking mouth. And for the fool that said she is a single mom because her husband flies around the world promoting his socialist agenda. With Obama as president or not; Get ready because History is Marching Forward whether you like it or NOT!

April 5, 2013 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. Kellee

The reason Michelle is the best looking FLOTUS is because black don't crack. She is the ONLY first lady ever to actually look her age or even better. The rest of the old dried up FLOTUS look like they were raised from the dead.

April 5, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Brillant – our first lady at her finest – SINGLE. Says a lot.

April 5, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. calypsoqueen

True dat.....the FLOTUS looks amazing and the haters cant stand it...but we dont care or gives a rats ass about them

April 5, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. jowl

This is news?

April 5, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Mike

How is she one of the most powerful women? What does she run? What authority does she have over what?

April 5, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |