April 5th, 2013

Michelle Obama slips up, calls herself ‘single mother’

(CNN) – Her husband is one of the most powerful men in the world, but his wife seemed to forget about him for a split second during an interview Thursday.

Speaking with CNN’s Burlington, Vermont-based affiliate WCAX, Michelle Obama was describing the challenges of eating healthy for busy parents when she said, “Believe me, as a busy single mother - or I shouldn’t say single - as a busy mother, sometimes when you’ve got a husband who is president it can feel a little single. But he’s there,” the first lady said.

The first lady joined school children Thursday in the White House kitchen garden, planting lettuce and other vegetables. She’s made combatting childhood obesity a central issue during her time in the White House, and has spoken frequently about the challenges parents face in providing their children with healthy food.

“As a busy working mom, and before I was in the White House, I was in that position as well. Working, driving kids to practice, not having enough time to shop or cook. Not having the energy. Resources weren’t the issue, but time and energy is key,” she said in the interview with WCAX.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Beast

It's ok Michelle, Freudian slips happen.

April 5, 2013 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  2. shawn l

She is a single mom, the president is busy being president.

April 5, 2013 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. ironwolf56

The Obamas are so deep into the "spin zone" re-election and polls doublespeak they aren't even sure of the truth anymore.

April 5, 2013 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  4. steve

She is a single mother. I don't think I think they like each other. He was going to run for President and she wanted to be First lady, simple as that. There is never any affection between either one, and what you do see is fake, anyone with a brain can see that.

April 5, 2013 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. Ruth

He is the manchurian candidate and I have no idea who she is or her children,no pictures of wedding,no baby pictures of the children,of them growing up anywhere in this country ....who are these people .....really??????....We know nothing of them.........or about them....too many blanks that are not filled in

April 5, 2013 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. jon

It isn't hard for her to make that slip. In campaign mode they are used to telling lies all the time to make you feel in touch with them.

April 5, 2013 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  7. Sunshine

I think what makes me mad the most is that okay, yes, she may feel like she is a single mother due to the fact that her husband is never home. But I AM a single mother I have no staff, no help. My job is where the income comes from... The only income. Single motherhood is more difficult than just raising or being around the children by yourself it is supporting those children on ONE income. It is a perpetual balancing act. She has no idea what being a single mother is all about. Having to make decisions based on the greater good of your family. What has to be sacrificed. I work, I am not on welfare but still having a tough time making it. So boo hoo to poor Michelle who feels like a single mother... I have no sympathy.

April 5, 2013 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  8. Anonymous

These people are not perfect. Nobody is. Give me a break.

April 5, 2013 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. Adam

I'm as critical of Obama as anyone, but come on. she slipped up and misspoke. Can we not give people a break anymore?

April 5, 2013 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  10. Laina

She does not know the half of what it is to be a single MOM!!!! When I was a Single mom with 2 kids I never got hand outs!!! I couldn't afford a lot of things my kids and I learned to do without which is what is wrong with people into todays world they all want a free hand out from us working people!!!

April 5, 2013 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  11. labman57

Fortunately for Michelle, it was merely a slip of the tongue, for had it been true, she would certainly have been attacked by social conservatives for contributing to the downfall of all that is good and wholesome in American society.

April 5, 2013 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  12. Anita Brooks

So sad, we are so deceived...I understand what Mrs. Obama meant, many wives of professionals, have voiced the same sentiment (doctors, pastors, athletes, etc.)......Oh such a far way to go we have ....

April 6, 2013 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  13. jalek

Even if she were, what other "single mother" has 24/7 childcare from the Secret Service? They'll even run the kids around for you. There are cooks, housekeepers, gardeners...
    It must be rough.

April 6, 2013 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  14. Kev

She will be a single mom after Barak hooks up with his hot new Attorney General.

April 6, 2013 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  15. Laura

Get over yourself everyone. You can't understand her comment unless you are a wife whose husband travels for work almost constantly. That's me. My husband has been gone most of this month and will be gone many weeks every year for his job. I am always joking that I'm a single mom, because it feels that way when you are the only one going to soccer practices, helping with homework, giving baths and doing the other thousand tasks on your own. Jeez, I'd love to pick apart your every off-hand comment because you are all so perfect in the comfortable glow of your basement computer.

April 6, 2013 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  16. Sam

Poor woman. Life is so hard. Have fun on the rest of your holidays.

April 6, 2013 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  17. LisaVt

Brings back the memory of Condi Rice slipping up and referring to Pres. Bush as "my husband." What was up with that? 2004. Google it.

April 6, 2013 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  18. RayM

It is hard being someone to everyone. It would be understandable to just forget who you really are.

April 6, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  19. Freddo

The arrogance of some women ... her "Freudian slip" speaks for itself.

April 6, 2013 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  20. David

I like the time she visited Kenya and said " It's my husbands home country".

April 6, 2013 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  21. Conrad

I'm not surprise because women as that kind of mentality today

April 6, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  22. Mark D

Note that this follows the president's comments on the hot attorney general

April 6, 2013 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. Dan A

Brilliant. The press has already forgotten about her husband's inappropriate comments. My dog has a longer attention span than a reporter does.

April 6, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  24. MasterPapo

Big deal!. I remembered Condi Rice calling G.W. Bush "my husband". What was that all about it?

April 6, 2013 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  25. Engineer

If Ann Romney is a "Working Mother", Michelle is a "single mom."

April 6, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |