April 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bill Clinton: 'America will have some very good choices for president'

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton may have stoked more speculation about his wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and her potential run for president.

Asked during a Q-and-A session on Saturday if he'd rather take eight more years as president or complete 16 projects at the Clinton Global Initiative, Clinton said - after a pause - "I would rather keep doing what I'm doing."

"Because I think America will have some very good choices for president," he continued, drawing applause from the audience as they presumably clapped and cheered for his wife.

His comments came in St. Louis at the annual meeting for the Clinton Global Initiative University, part of his nonprofit he runs that gets young people focused on innovations to improve poverty, development and medical care around the world.

The forum ended with Clinton being interviewed on stage by comedian Stephen Colbert, a conversation that will air on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" Monday evening. Clinton and Colbert took questions from the young audience after the interview.

"I think that, except in unusual circumstances, a two-term limit is a good thing," Clinton continued. He said he wouldn't oppose allowing future presidents to run for a third term not immediately after their second.

"But I would personally rather keep on doing what I'm doing for as long as I can possibly do it, because I think I have learned how to do it, and I'm not sure anybody else would be doing this - whereas I'm quite sure there are going to be lots of talented people who are dying to become president of the United States," he said.

Although recent polls show Hillary Clinton would come out strong against potential Republican rivals should she decide to make another bid for the White House, one Republican senator said Sunday that her supporters shouldn't get their hopes up.

"I think after eight years of Barack Obama, if things don't change, the next Democrat running for president will be in trouble," Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "She will be a formidable candidate. I think her time as secretary of state is mixed. Benghazi is yet to be told completely. Anybody underestimates her on the Republican side would do so at a peril. But yes, she can be beat; anybody can be beat in this country."

Filed under: 2016 • Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. buckeye

Five votes from my fam.....Hillary 2016

April 8, 2013 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  2. buckeye

Larry L. .....you hit the nail squarely on the head. Conservatives are AFRAID of the truth!

April 8, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. Yakobi

"yes, she can be beat; anybody can be beat in this country."
    She already WAS beat–by Obama!
    Let's not forget that Biden wants to run, too. It'll be curious who Obama will support–Hillary or Joe.

Oh, and in 2000 with the dozens of scandals Bill Clinton was dealing with, there would have been NO WAY he would have been re-elected to a 3rd term, if that were possible. Heck, Al Gore couldn't win Clinton's 3rd term!

April 8, 2013 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Grampa

I wonder if Jeb Bush is rooting for Hillary, reasoning that the last time a Clinton was president, a Bush followed.

April 8, 2013 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  5. Zack

Clinton Again??? Always the same old candidates. Dump the old wood and get some fresh stock. The US looks like it's controlled by the same group or family... Oh wait it is...

April 8, 2013 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  6. Papaw Nick

Hillary is no Margaret Thatcher. We had one woman that was close and her name was Jean Kirkpatrick. She would have made a great president.

April 8, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  7. LWJR

No surprise. However, she will need a face lift and a coverup on Benghazi.

April 8, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  8. Gonzo

We will have a non-stop drumbeat by the media for the next 4 years to get her elected. And anyone who gets in her (their) way will be destroyed as a public figure. Obama has been a media con job. Hillary is next.

April 8, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. Shawn

Hillary had to abandon her position as Secretary of State over health issues. I don't have confidence in her ability to function as President. The only benefit to having Hillary as President would to have Bill back in the White House, and hopefully pulling a Dick Cheney and keeping the President on puppet strings. Then maybe we'll have a surplus for once.

April 8, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  10. K from AZ

Hillary for Prez., Chelsea for VP! The real AmeriKA!

April 8, 2013 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  11. Katie

Good Lord, Raise your hand if you did NOT know this since 2008. You, sir there, with you hand raised......your village is missing ts idiot. The rest of us have always known that the Wicked Witch of the South (Arkansas)/North (NY) and Benghazi was ALWAYS going to make another run for it. God help us.

April 8, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  12. Rick

Anyone better qualified? I don't think so.

April 8, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. Disgusted

I hope the voters are not gonna vote her in. She couldn't manage her household when Slick Willie was Pres, she couldn't handle the Secretary of State job without getting her own folks killed, and she can't handle the Presidency.

America, if you want a woman in the Oval Office, put one there that will actually do something positive for all of us. Don't just vote for this shipwreck because you know her name.

April 8, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. liberals are just mouths with no teeth.

Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide commies.

April 8, 2013 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. Truth

@ buckeye

Hillary is the only one afraid of the truth...tell her to come clean on Benghazi!!!!!

April 8, 2013 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. Roger

Hillary is as ugly as a beast, she's as decitful as the devil and she's as evil as him too.

April 8, 2013 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  17. Roger

I would love to see Hillary run and then get thoroughly trounced to the point of utter humiliation.

April 8, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  18. Kennedy

After the country gets a full load of Obamacare in 2014, no democrat will be elected till the fury subsides (should be around 2036)

April 8, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  19. Larry in Houston

she needs to wait til the very last day to put her hat in the ring, so to speak . I mean the very last day – Hillary needs to have at Least 1 Billion – ( that's right, one billion) otherwise – the republicans are going to put out so many false ads about her, it's going to be pitiful. She will need thousands of people that will "man" the phone lines in every city /town / & county, in every state. It's going to be tough, for whomever wants the Job, but If they don't have a Billion within the last 6 months before the election, it's going to be difficult, ( to say the least) If I could give her a thousand votes, I would do it in a heartbeat. We need somebody that has the experience – especially the experience to get us to a "surplus" otherwise, by the time 2016 rolls around, our money won't be worth much. It may cost you a 20 dollar bill, to buy a pack of gum, by then.

April 8, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. Mark L.

I ♥ Hillary Clinton !!

And to the GOP: Once Hillary does announce her candidacy for the 2016 Presidential elections, we (Democrats) are going to, ♫♫ Rock and Roll All Night, and Party Every Day...♫♫

April 8, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. dookey

I'm so tired of this country being run BY FAMILIES! this is not an aristocracy under the guise of a republic. what I see is bloodlines running for office. father, son, grandson, wife, daughter ...it goes on and on. WE NEED NEW BLOOD>

April 8, 2013 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  22. Jane

SNL skit on Weekend update: The Devil: I created the internet.
    Seth Meyers (sarcastically); You created the internet?
    The Devil: Well...the comments section.

Nuff said. Haters-please get some help and leave the rest of us alone.

April 8, 2013 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |