April 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bill Clinton: 'America will have some very good choices for president'

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton may have stoked more speculation about his wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and her potential run for president.

Asked during a Q-and-A session on Saturday if he'd rather take eight more years as president or complete 16 projects at the Clinton Global Initiative, Clinton said - after a pause - "I would rather keep doing what I'm doing."

"Because I think America will have some very good choices for president," he continued, drawing applause from the audience as they presumably clapped and cheered for his wife.

His comments came in St. Louis at the annual meeting for the Clinton Global Initiative University, part of his nonprofit he runs that gets young people focused on innovations to improve poverty, development and medical care around the world.

The forum ended with Clinton being interviewed on stage by comedian Stephen Colbert, a conversation that will air on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" Monday evening. Clinton and Colbert took questions from the young audience after the interview.

"I think that, except in unusual circumstances, a two-term limit is a good thing," Clinton continued. He said he wouldn't oppose allowing future presidents to run for a third term not immediately after their second.

"But I would personally rather keep on doing what I'm doing for as long as I can possibly do it, because I think I have learned how to do it, and I'm not sure anybody else would be doing this - whereas I'm quite sure there are going to be lots of talented people who are dying to become president of the United States," he said.

Although recent polls show Hillary Clinton would come out strong against potential Republican rivals should she decide to make another bid for the White House, one Republican senator said Sunday that her supporters shouldn't get their hopes up.

"I think after eight years of Barack Obama, if things don't change, the next Democrat running for president will be in trouble," Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "She will be a formidable candidate. I think her time as secretary of state is mixed. Benghazi is yet to be told completely. Anybody underestimates her on the Republican side would do so at a peril. But yes, she can be beat; anybody can be beat in this country."

Filed under: 2016 • Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jeff Brown in Jersey

And none of them are Republicans!

April 7, 2013 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. Michelle Obama

I think Vince Foster will have something to say about that

April 7, 2013 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  3. joeinalabama

Hillary in the White House, Bill could watch over the inturns.

April 7, 2013 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. matt

It'll be Christie vs Hillary with Christie winning. I'm not a Dem or a Repub, but this is easy to see. There could be a darkhorse like Obama was, but I highly doubt it.

April 7, 2013 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. us_1776

Hillary will become the first woman American President.

April 7, 2013 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  6. TH001

"What difference does it make" .. Talk about a ruling class member that doesn't care about anyone but herself.

April 7, 2013 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. CRJ

Senator Graham is wrong. If Hillary Clinton run, she cannot be beat. The only Repub I know who could even come close is Condoleeza Rice, and she's said many times she's not interested. RUN, HILLARY, RUN!!

April 7, 2013 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. B

Senator Graham, I don't think people are as sour toward Obama as diehard Conservatives are. The rest of the country still remembers the unequivocally disastrous presidency of George W. Bush.

April 7, 2013 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  9. John john the pipers son

I'll take Hillary over any republican any day of any year of any life.

April 7, 2013 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. shaysite

Lindsey Graham:

"I think after eight years of Barack Obama being blocked and blamed for the result the GOP brought on, the next Democrat running for president will be in trouble. The American electorate is easily duped and has a short memory. They'll blame the person in charge no matter what the other party does while they're in office. So we think we can get away with sabotaging the recovery. Indeed we'll use the problems that we cause to help the party."

April 7, 2013 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. southernwonder

hillary wants to smell the roses. bill wants whitehouse.

April 7, 2013 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. are122

Well she failed at her health care reform. Failed as Secretary of State. Has no experience in business or the economy, has never done anything but live off taxpayers...so she's a good democrat. Maybe she can just sit on Bill's lap and move her lips as he talks.

April 7, 2013 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  13. James Guy

Yea Bill, but she is not one of them.

April 7, 2013 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  14. liberal disease

these two should just take their millions and go away! Please!

April 7, 2013 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I hope that Mrs. Clinton will run. I will vote for her without any further consideration.

April 7, 2013 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  16. brown

Hillary should run for office in Israel. Everything she did at the State Department was for the benefit of Israel,
    not the United States.

Hillary is nothing more than an AIPAC prostitute! She will never be elected!

April 7, 2013 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  17. Sam

It would be a surprise if the next democratic nominee was even White. lol

April 7, 2013 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  18. brown

AIPAC ring leader

April 7, 2013 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  19. Todd

If would be a surprise if the next Democratic nominee was even White. lol

April 7, 2013 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  20. Shane

Hillary would make an excellent president--it is her destiny. I will support her in any way I can.

April 7, 2013 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  21. Pete

Bill has the answer and open the envelope please,its Hillary Clinton president of these Unites States as of 2016 ..And quess what republicans you have absolutely no one viable to run against her.. Even your Pillsbury Doughboy Christie ain't got a chance and that's even if your party brings Nathan Sproul out of retirement to do his magical voter fraud like in the Bush years again!!Remember republicans voting laws are a changin and its gonna be harder to do what your republican governors try doing in this last years election because quess what Scott,Walker and the likes of Kasich will all be history and that's just the governors for starts when midterms devastate your party..And remember republicans don't say we didn't tell yah because I and others happily did!!

April 7, 2013 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  22. Ray

STOP

Think of a President that didnt bulldoze other parties and actually came to the table with a open ear and willingness to put party agendas aside.

Ya right....

Hillary For President

April 7, 2013 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. Candle

America hasn't had good choices for president in decades.

April 7, 2013 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  24. Gurgyl

She needs to rest for a while. Hillary16.
    PS: you remember I used to write obama12. Now Hillary16.

April 7, 2013 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  25. NooYawkah

Oh, cut the crap with "hinting". Are there any idiots out there who still don't think this witch is gonna run in 2016?

April 7, 2013 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |