April 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bill Clinton: 'America will have some very good choices for president'

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton may have stoked more speculation about his wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and her potential run for president.

Asked during a Q-and-A session on Saturday if he'd rather take eight more years as president or complete 16 projects at the Clinton Global Initiative, Clinton said - after a pause - "I would rather keep doing what I'm doing."

"Because I think America will have some very good choices for president," he continued, drawing applause from the audience as they presumably clapped and cheered for his wife.

His comments came in St. Louis at the annual meeting for the Clinton Global Initiative University, part of his nonprofit he runs that gets young people focused on innovations to improve poverty, development and medical care around the world.

The forum ended with Clinton being interviewed on stage by comedian Stephen Colbert, a conversation that will air on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" Monday evening. Clinton and Colbert took questions from the young audience after the interview.

"I think that, except in unusual circumstances, a two-term limit is a good thing," Clinton continued. He said he wouldn't oppose allowing future presidents to run for a third term not immediately after their second.

"But I would personally rather keep on doing what I'm doing for as long as I can possibly do it, because I think I have learned how to do it, and I'm not sure anybody else would be doing this - whereas I'm quite sure there are going to be lots of talented people who are dying to become president of the United States," he said.

Although recent polls show Hillary Clinton would come out strong against potential Republican rivals should she decide to make another bid for the White House, one Republican senator said Sunday that her supporters shouldn't get their hopes up.

"I think after eight years of Barack Obama, if things don't change, the next Democrat running for president will be in trouble," Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "She will be a formidable candidate. I think her time as secretary of state is mixed. Benghazi is yet to be told completely. Anybody underestimates her on the Republican side would do so at a peril. But yes, she can be beat; anybody can be beat in this country."

Filed under: 2016 • Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. PedroGonzalez

Bill is just looking for a way to get more interns. Maybe this time a male intern.

April 7, 2013 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Ryan

"I think after eight years of Barack Obama, if things don't change, the next Democrat running for president will be in trouble," Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

Really? 'Cause 8 years of baby Bush was great??

April 7, 2013 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. mdbill

Lindsey Graham has done nothing for anybody other than himself. He's a big part of the party on NO,and no one is interested in anything he has to say.

April 7, 2013 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  4. Kevin H

She's too old and panders to the conservatives. We don't need old white women to replace old white men. She also has serious health issues and those aren't going to get better with four years or eight years in the WH. The Dems are crazy if they run her. I don't dislike her – I just think she could do more good as the head of her own Foundation.

April 7, 2013 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. Catmandew

Hilary needs to go home and let just about anyone else run for president. She has shown how cold and calculating she can be. She is heartless and is only good for her cronies. Don't believe me ask Vince Foster how she can be. It is funny how the Clinton's foes just disappear never to be a problem for them again.

April 7, 2013 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  6. bigfoot

I think she would be an even better president than her husband though there are many, many Americans that absolutely DESPISE her.

April 7, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  7. Indyswimmer66

Realistically, name a prospective GOP candidate that could beat her.

April 7, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  8. B.

You thought that the Republicans were Nuts before, just wait..
    They are rapidly heading for extinction with all of their current laws being passed in Red states.

They are over the top now attempting to take the country back to the 50s
    Destroying voter rights, taking away Women’s health rights, taking away Red states Democracy with State Managers of townships!, they are walking on the Constitution and getting away with it -

April 7, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  9. Riley Johnson

The Clintons have left the world in chaos, one lie after another, the missing Haiti Money, the supposed snipers firing at Hillary and her daughter, etc. ....... Humbly, God help the world...

April 7, 2013 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  10. Jeebusss

He's right, she can be beat.......by another party who offers something resembling a sane candidate, something the GOP seems completely incapable of doing. They seem to be completely composed of extremist right-wing bible-thumping lunatics these days.

April 7, 2013 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  11. Loubies from S.C.

Run Hillary run!!!!

April 7, 2013 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  12. Jneuy

Don't care for her but she will be president.

April 7, 2013 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  13. Huper

I still can not believe that the people of New York elected her to the senate.
    She's was NON-New Yorker and a southerner to boot.
    In my opinion, her poltical career is simply a function of her name recognition,
    and the obvious political influence of her husband.
    I would seriously consider moving to another country if she were elected to be President.
    I have nothing against her personally, she'a a really nice and intelligent lady,
    but I just don't think she's qualified to lead our country.
    Any country that has a leadership vaccum at the top is in danger of
    electing a leader that will lead that country along a diastrous path.

April 7, 2013 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  14. Shark

Am I the only person who feels that coverage of the presidential election should be a once in every four years kind of thing and not a 24/7 kind of thing?

April 7, 2013 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  15. AR Queen

Can we please suffer through at least half of this miserable administration before we "assume" the next democratic candidate will automatically be elected?? Geez! Hopefully by then idiots will wake up!

April 7, 2013 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. TAMMY

The press is already in for Hillary Clinton. The 2016 election is more than 3 years away and already the press is crowing Hillary's king. The Clintons believe they were "cheated" out of the presidency in 2008. Give it a rest. Let us get thru 2013 and 2014 and all the other issues this country is facing before dealing with the silliness of Hilary 2016,

April 7, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  17. Wes

Anything would be better than the uhbama.

April 7, 2013 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  18. Greg

I think Lindsey Graham is in assumption that the perceptions of Obama supporters from 2008 have somehow comeinto line with the Right? What if the present perceptions of 2008 Obama supporters see him as doing what they elected him to do? Personally that is how I see Obama. He has feverishly addressed the issues I intended for him to pursue when I voted for him and proud of the job he has done vs. what I feel a Republican President (ROMNEY???) would have done.
    Now I also beleive Obama adn the Dems aren't addressing what is needed to save this nation. But at least their mentality is not to kick those in the teeth that are in crisis when we are in such decline. After what happened in 2008 there was NO WAY in my opnion a tthat time that there was going to be ANY President that would come along and clean it all up in 4 or even 8 years. So Obama's getting the country back to the ficitional life that got us to where we ended up in 2008 and continue to deal with the consequences of was never an option in my reasoning for voting for him.
    I also don't beleive we'll have this mess cleaned up by ANY President over the next 16 years! How many years of irresponsible behavior did it take us to arive at 2008 and the present? NOW....You show me a Republican candidate that intelligently delivers his/her explicit and detailed plans of how to save the country and it matches reason and logic while also caring for ALL Americans equally in their sacrifices, then I PROMISE!!!! I WILL vote Republican. But up to now I sure haven't seen ANYTHING like that! SO if I have to choose from two candidates that both don't have the answers, I will always choose the one who cares more for those in crisis.

April 7, 2013 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. PJoe

Give me a break! Are we stupid enough to vote in Hillary....umm NO! She wants to take away our rights just like that mongrel Obama does. It will be Rand Paul or Dr. Ben Carson in 2016 and the country will start to heal from all the damage that Obama has done.

April 7, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  20. mark

any reason why the clinton's are still in the spotlight. wish they would just disappear like past presidents do. sick of seeing either and both of them. YOU'RE RETIRED, GO DO RETIREMENT THINGS ALREADY.........

April 7, 2013 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  21. sj7896

not terribly surprising – she would have to be the dems' clear front-runner at this point. i wonder who will run for the gop?

April 7, 2013 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  22. LastLiberalRepulican

Tell us again, how old will she be in 2016.................?!

April 7, 2013 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  23. sj7896

i also have to say all of the benghazi conspiracy stuff is a little nutty. the fact is that stevens insisted on going to a city which the libyan government advised him against traveling to with light security and without a properly fortified building in place to which to retreat. you can't expect the secretary of state to micromanage every ambassador in every country.

April 7, 2013 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  24. Name lynn

Bill clinton you are right we are going to have good choices for president seats.

April 7, 2013 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  25. muffintop

Can these two please go away? They are like the Kardashians. They just have to keep their names in the news everyday. So you are going to run, so what! That is over three years away....get on with life until then. Oh, are you intending to show up the person who now occupies the White House? Shame, Clinton's, shame!

April 7, 2013 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |