April 7th, 2013

Bill Clinton: 'America will have some very good choices for president'

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton may have stoked more speculation about his wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and her potential run for president.

Asked during a Q-and-A session on Saturday if he'd rather take eight more years as president or complete 16 projects at the Clinton Global Initiative, Clinton said - after a pause - "I would rather keep doing what I'm doing."

"Because I think America will have some very good choices for president," he continued, drawing applause from the audience as they presumably clapped and cheered for his wife.

His comments came in St. Louis at the annual meeting for the Clinton Global Initiative University, part of his nonprofit he runs that gets young people focused on innovations to improve poverty, development and medical care around the world.

The forum ended with Clinton being interviewed on stage by comedian Stephen Colbert, a conversation that will air on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" Monday evening. Clinton and Colbert took questions from the young audience after the interview.

"I think that, except in unusual circumstances, a two-term limit is a good thing," Clinton continued. He said he wouldn't oppose allowing future presidents to run for a third term not immediately after their second.

"But I would personally rather keep on doing what I'm doing for as long as I can possibly do it, because I think I have learned how to do it, and I'm not sure anybody else would be doing this - whereas I'm quite sure there are going to be lots of talented people who are dying to become president of the United States," he said.

Although recent polls show Hillary Clinton would come out strong against potential Republican rivals should she decide to make another bid for the White House, one Republican senator said Sunday that her supporters shouldn't get their hopes up.

"I think after eight years of Barack Obama, if things don't change, the next Democrat running for president will be in trouble," Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "She will be a formidable candidate. I think her time as secretary of state is mixed. Benghazi is yet to be told completely. Anybody underestimates her on the Republican side would do so at a peril. But yes, she can be beat; anybody can be beat in this country."

Filed under: 2016 • Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Free thought

Bill said "very good choices for president" that means Hillary WON'T be running.

Hillary should be in prison.

April 7, 2013 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. Hammer Of The Gods

Sorry Senator Graham.
    She Runs, she wins.
    End of story.

April 7, 2013 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  3. Hoang

I know Secretary Clinton will share to the world– after her book tour– that she is in fact running for President of The United States of America.

April 7, 2013 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. Danny Lo

Not so fast Graham...this country is changing fast. You were right GRAHAM...anybody can be beat in this country. Though the economy is not in good shape...your ROMNEY was beaten really BAD

April 7, 2013 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  5. John

Enough already. Clintoff. Fresh ideas are needed, not the same old rehash.

April 7, 2013 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  6. Really

I am not sure Hillary could make it as President. I mean because of her health issues. If the excuse is good enough for her to use on the Republicans why doesn't it fit her.

April 7, 2013 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  7. Scot

I'd vote for her and did back in when Obama was first running.

April 7, 2013 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  8. Woman In California

Really Bill? Shouldn't you be with your buddies Ann and Willard Romney?

*****
    Please tell us exactly who in your party of "white/right" is able to go against ANY democrat running and win?

April 7, 2013 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  9. Marbas

Hillary forsake made a spectcle of herselfa in scrantan,pa. When she began rubning. Her husband acted asa if he were someplace elsae. I was inthat small towna.

April 7, 2013 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  10. D.L. Kisting

One Clinton in the presidecy is quite enough. Thank you!

April 7, 2013 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  11. strong Democrat

You wish and dream we will have republican president....after the bush family I think not!!!!!!!

April 7, 2013 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  12. Peter

I agreed with Sen. Lindsey Graham. It will be tough for the next democratic candidate if Obama failed to deliver economic recovery. In light of NK and Iran trouble ahead, Obama will have a tough time to balance the acts.

April 7, 2013 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. Jane Smith

Hillary would have been a better president than Obama, and will be way better than any republican.

April 7, 2013 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  14. IvotedforObama

She has my vote.

April 7, 2013 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  15. Dick Smegma

First class Gapers...both

April 7, 2013 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  16. michael p fink

headline states '"Bill Clinton hints at run for Hillary? " Are they on opposite sides of the field and playing Red Rover ,Red Rover let billy come over and he is going for the weak spot on the opposing team.........Hillary?

April 7, 2013 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  17. Zachary Gates

It's only 2013. President Obama just got rel-elected. Why is this even remotely important? Why should we care? How is this relevant to the information needs of your readers?

April 7, 2013 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  18. David

I wish she was the candidate before, I would have voted for her.

April 7, 2013 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  19. bankrupt1

she probably would have done just fine if she stayed away from him

April 7, 2013 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  20. davidintel

Hillary Clinton 2013!!! Got my Vote!

April 7, 2013 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  21. John

What do herpes and the Clintons have in common? You can't get rid of either.

April 7, 2013 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  22. Joe Johnson

There is LITERALLY nothing in this article hinting at Hillary running for office. Good TRY CNN

April 7, 2013 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  23. Jay

I consider myself independent, but I'd say that the Republicans have a lot more to worry about on their side than a negative legacy of Barack Obama on the left side... if anything I think that is going to help Clinton—a lot... especially if the dysfunction in Congress persists.

April 7, 2013 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  24. Liebster Welpe

Go Hillary Clinton Go

April 7, 2013 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  25. Xib

Please, oh Lord. Please no.

April 7, 2013 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |