April 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bill Clinton: 'America will have some very good choices for president'

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton may have stoked more speculation about his wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and her potential run for president.

Asked during a Q-and-A session on Saturday if he'd rather take eight more years as president or complete 16 projects at the Clinton Global Initiative, Clinton said - after a pause - "I would rather keep doing what I'm doing."

"Because I think America will have some very good choices for president," he continued, drawing applause from the audience as they presumably clapped and cheered for his wife.

His comments came in St. Louis at the annual meeting for the Clinton Global Initiative University, part of his nonprofit he runs that gets young people focused on innovations to improve poverty, development and medical care around the world.

The forum ended with Clinton being interviewed on stage by comedian Stephen Colbert, a conversation that will air on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" Monday evening. Clinton and Colbert took questions from the young audience after the interview.

"I think that, except in unusual circumstances, a two-term limit is a good thing," Clinton continued. He said he wouldn't oppose allowing future presidents to run for a third term not immediately after their second.

"But I would personally rather keep on doing what I'm doing for as long as I can possibly do it, because I think I have learned how to do it, and I'm not sure anybody else would be doing this - whereas I'm quite sure there are going to be lots of talented people who are dying to become president of the United States," he said.

Although recent polls show Hillary Clinton would come out strong against potential Republican rivals should she decide to make another bid for the White House, one Republican senator said Sunday that her supporters shouldn't get their hopes up.

"I think after eight years of Barack Obama, if things don't change, the next Democrat running for president will be in trouble," Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "She will be a formidable candidate. I think her time as secretary of state is mixed. Benghazi is yet to be told completely. Anybody underestimates her on the Republican side would do so at a peril. But yes, she can be beat; anybody can be beat in this country."

Filed under: 2016 • Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Henry

For the sake of this country, please don't run. American need time off for soul searching and to mend wounds.

April 8, 2013 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  2. Marie MD

Yes we will.
    I hear that the racist curly top from KY is going to speak at Howard University today. He's trying to reach out to minorities. I wonder if he, or someone, will bring up the no serve rule at a restaurant he mentioned if you don't like the "looks" of your patrons. I am sure the students at Howard will appreciate his pre civil rights beliefs.

April 8, 2013 06:34 am at 6:34 am |
  3. RAL

Right Willy you can be President Again the "TWO FOR ONE SLOGAN can be taken out brushed off and used again to fool the people like in Arkansasand tehn the WH... Once was enough I know having Hillary areound with out flying all over the World cramps your style but it's your turn keep her busy and out of politics for God Sake Enough of the Clintons already!!!

April 8, 2013 06:34 am at 6:34 am |
  4. Allan

Hillary is already too old for the job. It's time for her to retire – permanently.

April 8, 2013 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  5. j dedonato

HOOOOray! I want to be the first woman ever to win the whitehouse!!!
    She is qualified, but just why is she considering? I hope its for the right reasons...

April 8, 2013 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  6. albert

"America will have some very good choices for president" Wow, talk about reading too much into something! Nice going CNN.

April 8, 2013 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  7. Nick

I have yet to understand the liberal fascination with Hillary. Better choice than Obama? No question, but beyond that she is devoid of any real qualifications. She was a one-term so-so Senator, and she was a lousy Secretary of State. Her sole qualification appears to be that she was married to one of the more successful Presidents of the 20th century. Shouldn't we be looking for more than that?

April 8, 2013 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  8. T

Hillary, let the democrats have a chance to continue to win again please do not run. Thank you.

April 8, 2013 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  9. VBGUY

We need some fresh blood running the government not these people like Hillary Clinton. If Condoleezza Rice runs I would vote for her over Hillary Clinton.

April 8, 2013 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  10. bassman

Does anybody believe it was coincidence that in the same week The Daily Beast runs their hit piece on Gov. Palin and Tina Brown is out promoting Hillary Clinton. This was all set up over at The Daily Beast to marginalize Gov. Palin while promoting Hillary. Corrupt!

April 8, 2013 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  11. Rick McDaniel

America has had few good choices for President. No reason to expect it to improve, when the entire country continues to degenerate, week after week, after week.

April 8, 2013 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  12. csm_in_dc

Bubba knows what he can get in the Oval Office while Hillary is gone on an all expense paid vacation with her entourage.

April 8, 2013 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  13. Den-O

And her campaign slogan will be " What does it matter anyway". I cringe at the thought of having to endure her through another two years of campaigning.

April 8, 2013 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  14. Stormy

How does one just resign from the state department and decide they're good to go for presidency??

April 8, 2013 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  15. Duke5343

She could NOT handle Sec of State & she will be too old for office

April 8, 2013 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  16. Sue

I do not know one Democrat who listens to a word Lindsay Graham says! Go Hillary!!

April 8, 2013 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  17. Anonymous

when will theses vampires go away and leave us alone?

April 8, 2013 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  18. comeblowyourhorn

Can we please get these 2 out of our face and out of our political life. They are corruption personified. She is nothing but an Empty Pants Suit promoted by the liberal media !!!!

April 8, 2013 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  19. Johnny DC

If there is any sanity in the American voting populace, they will remember with the utmost clarity how she deflected the Benghazi inquiries in the name of saving face for the Obama administration and to promote her future agenda with political grandstanding and sound bytes rather than real answers.

She set women back decades with her acceptance of Bill's infidelity in exchange for political spotlight, and she will set our country back centuries with her progressive ideology that ruins the very people it pretends to defend.

April 8, 2013 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  20. Hyundsung

She should not again campaign for presidency. She had her chances, and was not performing well. America wants and deserves better presidency candidates. No, not Mrs. Hillary Clinton.

April 8, 2013 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  21. Steve B.

What makes any one think she would be a good President????

April 8, 2013 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  22. The GOP need to pack up and leave

If she runs for president, she'll get my vote. She had my vote the last time she ran. I would have loved to have seen a Clinton/Obama ticket.

April 8, 2013 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  23. John Jingle

If this murdering cheating liar runs for office and the 47% vote for her, I know this country is finished. It's almost finished now because of the morons who voted for the ace clown in office now.

April 8, 2013 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  24. Jaedong

Please no god , this would be worse than obama if that's even possible to say...

April 8, 2013 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  25. don ripley

BO is the most worthless person America ever elected president and some people actually think that HC can do better!!??

April 8, 2013 09:02 am at 9:02 am |