April 8th, 2013
1 year ago

Chelsea Clinton doesn't shoot down talk of political office

(CNN) – Chelsea Clinton, the only daughter of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former President Bill Clinton, is opening the possibility of her own political bid one day.

"Right now I'm grateful to live in a city, in a state and a country where I strongly support my mayor, my governor, my president, my senators and my representative," she told NBC's "Today" in an interview that aired Monday.

She continued: "If at some point that weren't true and I thought I could make a meaningful and measurably greater impact, I'd have to ask and answer that question."

Clinton, 33, serves as a special correspondent for NBC News. She appeared this weekend with her father at the annual meeting for college students at the Clinton Global Initiative University in St. Louis, where she led sessions and hosted panels. Her father founded CGI as a movement to seek innovative ways to improve poverty, development and health care around the world.

Also boosting her profile is her recent appearance on the cover of Parade Magazine, which features a story on her renewed steps to embrace a more public profile following her career in the private sector.

This isn't the first time Chelsea Clinton has tested the waters with political speculation. In an interview for Vogue Magazine's September issue, she started to lighten up on her refusal to enter politics.

"Before my mom's campaign I would have said no. Not because it was something I had thought a lot about but because people have been asking me that my whole life," said Clinton, speaking of her mother's historic yet unsuccessful 2008 presidential bid.

"And now I don't know. . . . I mean, I have voted in every election that I have been qualified to vote in since I turned eighteen," Clinton continued.

Rumors circulated in 2011 that she was considering a bid for Congress, but her team quickly shot down such speculation.

As for all the talk swirling around her mother's potential presidential bid in 2016, Clinton gave no hints in the Monday interview on Hillary Clinton's thinking but said she would support her decision no matter what.

"I deeply respect and appreciate all of the admiration and respect and gratitude for my mother's service," she said. "As a daughter I want her to make the right choice for herself. I know that will be the right choice for our country and I'll support her in whatever she chooses to do."

– CNN's Mark Preston contributed to this report.

READ MORE: President Bill Clinton: 'I think America will have some very good choices for president'

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Chelsea Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Tony in Maine

Republican heads exploded in a nationwide "BOOOM!" at the possibility of a Clinton doing what is okay for te Bush family.

MTP, otherwise known as the McCain/Graham News Hour, has booked Republican apparatchik for the next two years to bemoan the possibility of a new dynasty in American politics.

April 8, 2013 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  2. Chicago

So are the Clinton's, Bush's and Kennedy's are the only people qualified to lead this country? Give me a break, I think all of those families should be banned from politics. Enough already.

April 8, 2013 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  3. Thorbecke

They should send Chelsea to North Korea. Maybe Cartman can relate better to someone closer to his own age. Scary to think a kid younger than this bright youngster has an arsenal of nuclear weapons at his disposal.
    You have my vote, Chelsea.

April 8, 2013 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. mattski

Wow, Chelsea growing up. It seems like a long time since the Wayne's World "dog" comment. Go for it, Chelsea.

April 8, 2013 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  5. us_1776

Chelsea is a very intelligent young woman who maybe could help us fix our broken political system.

Repeal Citizens v. United and give our govt back to the people, the REAL people.

End shadow financing of political campaigns from unknown sources.

End the corrupting influences of lobbyists. In fact, outlaw lobbying altogether. Not necessary in this day of ubiquitous information.

And make politician beholden ONLY to the taxpayers through ONLY allowing public campaign financing and absolutely no private campaign contributions of any kind.

Maybe then we can once again have a government OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, and FOR THE PEOPLE.

April 8, 2013 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  6. mg

I'm sick and tired of the Clintons, I wish these hillbillys would move back to Arkansas!

April 8, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  7. RickV

I wonder which lucky state will get her to represent them. I sure hope that it isn't mine. The political class has turned out to be a really bad idea, that has truly harmed the US in so many ways, on so many levels. Re-elect nobody, ever.

April 8, 2013 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  8. Randy, San Francisco

Chelsea has the right credentials to be effective in politics: smart, talented, family history of political service, and a Stanford University graduate.

April 8, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  9. Grannyof11

She had got to kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2013 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  10. Anonymous

and where does she live? It would be nice to get that information considering it is a big part of the story . . .

April 8, 2013 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  11. Chris

Oh God. Please no.

It's bad enough we had Bill for 8 years, Pants-suit Hillary as my carpetbagging Senator but the last thing we need is some next generation over entitled little princess who thinks she has something to contribute.

It's time for the Clintons to head back to Arkansas and go away.

April 8, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  12. Tim

Among Liberals, being unqualified for public office seems to be a common characteristic.

April 8, 2013 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  13. william haehn

I hope she runs for office. She seems like someone who wants to make the world a better place !!

April 8, 2013 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. griff-griff

That is truly Bubba and Hillary's child!!! She is the spitting image of them both. If she is as smart as her dad and as tough as her mom, she has a great career in politics.. I say "GO FOR IT!"

April 8, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  15. matt

Yes some silver spoon fed wall street whore is just what the average citizen needs

April 8, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  16. John in Brooklyn

I have to admit, as a NY'er, I have to agree. I support my Rep, my senators, my governor, and my president. Pretty cool.

April 8, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  17. JetScreamer

Please, please, do yourself a favor and get some real-world business experience before becoming a career politician. So many Democratic politicians see the world solely through the prism of the public sector and government's controlling role in society. This is Barack Obama's greatest failing- his lack of fundamental business knowledge and the true drivers of economic growth. Get a real job- not one following your parents around (talented though they are). Roll-up your sleeves, start a business, manage an enterprise, make a payroll! Understand the impact of taxes, regulation, credit, competition, energy-material-labor costs on your balance sheet and income statement. Then you will have a practical understanding of the private sector to go with your prior experience and be far more qualified to serve in political office.

April 8, 2013 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. bobnc

Just what the US doesn't need.

April 8, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  19. Vittal Pyati

Chelsea should have one or two kids before any poltical career. This will make her parents very happy. Women are forgetting their main role, i.e., make babies before it is too late.

April 8, 2013 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  20. Peach

She's not the brightest bulb that's for sure........

April 8, 2013 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. guest

That's all we need, another Clinton. Stick to imitating a "journalist", Chelsea. You can't do much damage in that job.

April 8, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  22. Name lynn

Chelesea clinton knows about been in a house with presidents an governors an politicis, she knows when to talk an when not to talk.

April 8, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  23. Jay in NC

Remember during the 2008 campaign when Hillary would not let Chelsea answer questions. This is going to be fun.

April 8, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  24. jaron kadek

The grovelers at NBC News let her start at the top...why not nominate her for president in 2016?

April 8, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  25. Donna

I'd love to see her and John McCain's daughter run for political office.

April 8, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |