OFA releases first quarter numbers
April 12th, 2013
09:49 AM ET
1 year ago

OFA releases first quarter numbers

(CNN) – Organizing for Action, the nonprofit advocacy group that originated from President Barack Obama's re-election campaign, raised $4.8 million in the first quarter from 109,582 donors.

The average donation was $44, according to an email the group sent to supporters Friday morning. This is the first report on its financial viability, as the group officially launched in January.

"To anyone who thought we couldn't do this, these numbers send a pretty clear message. It's never been done before, but supporters like you are doing it," Jon Carson, the group's executive director, stated in the email.

OFA has taken heat from some Republicans who argue the group is simply a conduit for wealthy donors to buy access to the president. But the White House has sharply denied meetings with the president could be purchased.

A 501(c)(4) group, OFA is not required to disclose all of its donors, but officials released a list of people who contributed more than $250 on Friday afternoon. The largest donation came from Philip Munger, a philanthropist, who gave $250,000.

The group maintains its purpose is to promote the president's second-term agenda, though some critics have also said it's an avenue for the president to get involved in 2014 mid-term elections.

Group officials have denied that was the case, and President Obama reiterated that point at a dinner with OFA supporters last month.

"I think here in Washington this idea has been viewed … both with suspicion, and people have been puzzled with what we're trying to do," he said. "Because the usual idea is, well, this must be a mechanism to win the next election in 2014, and what we've tried to explain to people is actually, I just want to govern. At least for a couple years."

Gun control, immigration reform and the president's fiscal proposals are among the legislative issues for which OFA has actively worked to build grassroots support this year.

– CNN's Kevin Bohn, Jessica Yellin and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.


Filed under: Fundraising • Organizing for Action
soundoff (15 Responses)
  1. Gurgyl

    This president is THE BEST president in USA history–he knows as to what he is doing–knock on the wood. God bless, Obama.
    PS: You all know GOP and Bush ruined this nation.

    April 12, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  2. Anonymous

    So let's see if we get this. Democrats shoved an unpopular, expensive, ill-conceived and poorly written law (obamacare) down the country's throat with no Republican support, and without bothering to see whether states would want to take on the thankless and costly task of helping the feds implement it.

    And now that many of these states are rebelling, And according to Kathleen Sebelius, it's the Republicans' fault?

    April 12, 2013 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  3. Peoples State of Illinois

    So let's see if we get this. Democrats shoved an unpopular, expensive, ill-conceived and poorly written law down the country's throat with no Republican support, and without bothering to see whether states would want to take on the thankless and costly task of helping the feds implement it.

    And now that many of these states are rebelling, and according to Kathleen Sebelius, it's the Republicans' fault?

    April 12, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  4. Ray E. (Georgia)

    It is good for people to try to improve their lot in life. I was just discussing on another board the plight of the Irish, The Italians, the Chinese when they come to America. They all had a hard row to hoe before they were acclumated into the citizenery. And it didn't happen over night. All that hard work is what made the country great. Now our buddy in the White House wants to give it all away. Can't give any kuduos to Whats-His-Name for understanding what makes sucess. Some think it all should be handed to you on a Silver Platter. Tell that to the Irish, the Italians, the Chinese.

    April 12, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  5. Homer Simpson

    Just let the gop rule, we would all be better off, just ask them

    April 12, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

    Gurgyl

    This president is THE BEST president in USA history–he knows as to what he is doing–knock on the wood. God bless, Obama
    -------------------------------------------------
    Those many, many, millions of us that voted him in with the HOPE of CHANGE in 2008, and re-elected him in 2012 quite agree with you. And I suspect that even some of those that did NOT vote for him agree with you as well when faced with the alternative.
    May God continue to bless and walk with President Barack Hussein Obama.

    April 12, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

    It would be nice if there was less of a need for money in politics. Any and all donations to polical campaigns and organization need to be disclosed that should also include 504(c) groups that don't do anything than run ad about legislation.

    April 12, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. Jinx9to88

    Good job!!! The "American People" own this country not the stupid Lobbyist that were always allowed to buy the crooked politicians. About time the American People voice will be heard!

    April 12, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. Jinx9to88

    Adding to my previous post – Example, if 90% of Americans want background checks on all gun sales, then the other 10% is out of luck. 10% of the people should not dictate.

    April 12, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. Peoples State of Illinois

    "This president is THE BEST president in USA history..." Hahahahahaha, choke, splutter,,,,wait, you weren't trying to make us laugh? You are serious!! Wow, now I just feel sorry for you.

    April 12, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  11. Peoples State of Illinois

    "This president is THE BEST president in USA history..." Hahahahahaha, choke, splutter,,,,wait, you weren't trying to make us laugh?

    April 12, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  12. Peoples State of Illinois

    @Jinx9to88

    Adding to my previous post – Example, if 90% of Americans want background checks on all gun sales, then the other 10% is out of luck. 10% of the people should not dictate.
    ---------------------------------
    That "90%" number drops dramatically when "gun registration" is included. Background checks only,,,yes, I'm all for it. Gun registration, no.

    April 12, 2013 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  13. Wilson

    @Peoples State of Illinois

    "This president is THE BEST president in USA history..." Hahahahahaha, choke, splutter,,,,wait, you weren't trying to make us laugh? You are serious!! Wow, now I just feel sorry for you.
    ---------------------------------
    Funny

    April 12, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  14. Wilson

    @Peoples State of Illinois

    @Jinx9to88

    Adding to my previous post – Example, if 90% of Americans want background checks on all gun sales, then the other 10% is out of luck. 10% of the people should not dictate.
    -----------
    That "90%" number drops dramatically when "gun registration" is included. Background checks only,,,yes, I'm all for it. Gun registration, no.
    -----------------------------------
    That 90% number is an exaggeration perpetuated by the left.

    April 12, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  15. Fair is Fair

    Gurgyl

    This president is THE BEST president in USA history–he knows as to what he is doing–knock on the wood.
    ---------
    Good father... good husband. As President? Mediocre is a stretch.

    April 12, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |