On a call about guns, Biden reacts to Boston explosions
April 15th, 2013
1 year ago

On a call about guns, Biden reacts to Boston explosions

(CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden was on a conference call about legislation to combat gun violence Monday when he heard about the apparent bombings at the Boston Marathon.

"As I'm speaking here, they just turned on the television in my office and apparently there has been a bombing– I don't know any of the details of what caused it, who did it–I don't think it exists yet but our prayers are with those people in Boston who have suffered injuries," he said. "I don't know how many of them there are. I'm looking at it on television now."

Meanwhile, a White House official said the president has been notified of the explosions.

"His administration is in contact with state and local authorities. He directed his administration to provide whatever assistance is necessary in the investigation and response," the official said.

Filed under: Gun control • Gun rights • Joe Biden
  1. John

I thought blowing up innocent people in public was illegal. When are these criminals going to start obeying the law around here? I mean, you'd think they were planning on keeping illegal guns once we pass stricter laws or something.

April 15, 2013 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. Network

Bomb control laws are definitely needed.

April 15, 2013 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. j

Sorry but i dont want you praying for me. Anyone else is fine.

April 15, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. staged attack

This is a staged attack by the US government. They will blame on either Extremists or terrorists foreign or domestic.

April 15, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. RicRic

oh yeah, all you whiny liberals have to defend president do nothing but vacation and golf immediately.

April 15, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. Fine

can someone in the whitehouse tell this monron to zip his mouth. This is serious stuff ok.

April 15, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. Pat

Has Obama apologized yet?

April 15, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. bspurloc

bombs were placed in garbage cans....
    WONDERFUL the NRA clown just announced every garbage can needs to be guarded by a good guy with a gun

April 15, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. dbdy

We were all wondering how Un was going to celebrate. This bombing makes me suspect it was North Korea’s way of celebrating. With all their belligerence going on in North Korea, you can’t help suspect them as having agents done this act of terrorism. I just hope that our national security doesn’t over look this aspect.

April 15, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

Anyone who wants to engage in Obama-bashing or GOP-bashing, get off. This is a tragedy, and we need to put the partisan nonsense aside. Grow up, and act the way Americans and human beings are supposed to act.

April 15, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. Mike

This should take care of the gun story now. Ooops, sorry Pierce Morgan and CNN's this sorry will take care of your crusade on guns.

April 15, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. BJoyce

"Since Obama is not running for president at least this time we might find out why the explosions happened instead of the bogus reasons the Democrats came up with for benghazi.."

Not likely, since Bush and Cheney still haven't come out with the truth about why they decided to invade Iraq, other than the bogus WMD reason they came up with.

April 15, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  13. Jokesterer

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a bomb is a good guy with a bomb.

April 15, 2013 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  14. Fetah

This is what Syrians face on a daily basis because of your govt's rats. This is what happens in other countries because of your evil govt's policies!

April 15, 2013 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  15. RICK

Sickening. My prayers go out to the victims of this tragedy. P.S. I don't think this has anything to do with gun control so why is the article being filed as such.

April 15, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. Brian

Going to keep blaming firearms Biden? Or you ready to start realizing we need to focus on evil PEOPLE!?!?!

April 15, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. Alan Page

We have a Good news and a Bad news........ The bad news is it Indeed was a NK missile......The good news is that Pentagon report was sort of correct with their capability.....

April 15, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  18. Just Me

Since some of you are missing the point, let me spell it out for you. Obama and Biden have been standing on the bodies of the kids in Newtown calling for stricter gun control so "keep us safe". This incident proves that, if someone wants to kill/maim a bunch of people, they don't need a gun to do it. What's racist about saying that?
    Now I remember why I haven't been on the CNN website in a while. Any time you say anything about the President, you're obviously a toothless, inbred racist. It couldn't possibly be because you merely DISAGREE, could it? CNN, this is why your ratings are tanking. See ya

April 15, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  19. Donkey Party

You right-wing filth are showing your true colors today. Hell is too nice a place for your miserable souls. I wish the worst upon all of you.

April 15, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. Roger

Biden says "our prayers are with them." One thing I have little tolerance for is hypocracy. Biden has taken so many steps to remove god from our nation and he has the audacity to say that "our prayers are with them?" He says that because he knows that it's good for his image and politics but carries absolutely no policy implications or comittments. In other words, Biden's talk is so cheap that is evacuated of any value whatsoever. And one more thing. In the Psalms, King David of ancient Israel said, "if I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear my prayer." Based on his life and his stands, I would be very supprised if Joe Biden's prayers are getting past the ceiling of his office.

April 15, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  21. JDalco

Joe please shut up, You are not helping and we need to wait to see what really happened before you start up.

April 15, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. jorge

This has to be a terrorist attack. They bombs went off when the largest group of runners were passing by. The bombs went off in a coordinated fashion. There was a lot of planning involved here so it has to be the work of al qaeda.

April 15, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  23. BarryG

So Hawk In Texas, you admonish those using racial bias by using your own vile stereotype bias of them. "In bred tea party"? Give me a break you weak minded liberal. Your statement revealed a lot about you and the high horse you live on.

April 15, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  24. Brian

Still going to keep blaming guns? Or you ready to start realizing we need to focus on evil PEOPLE!?!?!

April 15, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  25. wondering

what if the person responsible has Mohammed in his name?

April 15, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |