Breaking: Bombing suspect won't be charged as 'enemy combatant'
April 22nd, 2013
1 year ago

Breaking: Bombing suspect won't be charged as 'enemy combatant'

(CNN) - The surviving suspect in last week's Boston Marathon bombings, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, "will not be treated as an enemy combatant," but rather will be prosecuted "through our civilian system of justice," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters Monday afternoon.

"Under U.S. law, United States citizens cannot be tried in military commissions," he said.

1. Guest

Video placing bomb at scene – check, evasion and fire fight with police – check, best defense tax payers can fund – check, or in light of the overwhelming facts – public execution in Boston – check!

April 22, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. Name Maureen Simkins

April 22, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Fair is Fair

basedonfact

Fair is Fair: Please take note that most of the opposition to the drone program is from the left. I do not support it and most of the people I know do not either
    -------
    I really don't care where the opposition comes from. Nor do I care if anyone happens to share my opinion or differ from it. All I think is that if someone has an opinon on an issue, that opinion should be consistent.

April 22, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. Jesse

Citizenship can be revoked... HELLO!!!! not born here, you attack us in a terrorist fashion, and you get to hold onto citizenship. So many people lose their citizenship for not paying taxes, and this loser (as his uncle calls him) benefits from a civilian trial.

April 22, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. ghostriter

So....killing someone by drone is bad and trying this guy as a citizen (that he is) is bad.

I don't pretend to know the ends and outs of this, but you can't have issues with the drone kills and issues with this guy being tried as a citizen. Either citizens have rights or they don't.

April 22, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"So then do you or don't you agree with the practice of using drone strikes to kill "suspected" enemies (Alawaki (sp?), for example)?"

I've said it before that I don't agree with it and you know that, because it was in response to you, so stop with the "gotcha" attempts and grow up. However, I also don't agree with attempts to demagogue that situation, which is a very different thing, by confusing with this situation or by telling people they'll be drone bombed while on the crapper in their Dallas apartment for posting that they don't like Obama on a blog. It's not the "new" black helicopters schtick. Just stick with the old one and you'll sound just as crazy as need be.

April 22, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. Data Driven

Sorry, Lindsey.

April 22, 2013 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  8. Bob

Anthrogrl

What?!? So now he's going to probably get off Scott free because he wasn't mirandized! Sorry I blew up the marathon and killed a bunch of people but now I get live my life with no repercussions. Nice job America now all the criminals will think they have a free pass!

----------------------------

You sound hysterical. Get a grip. The Justice system will do just fine.

April 22, 2013 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  9. Thomas

Why not water board him live on television , right after dancing with the stars !

That should make all the right wing reactionary Neocons happy .

Let the Law take its course . We have a president that understands the law .

Law is what makes this country great , we out it we are nothing more then ants !

April 22, 2013 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  10. Sniffit

===

Stop with the gotcha attempts. I've responded TO YOU before that I don't support that kind of thing, so one might wonder why you're pretending you don't know this. I also don't support conflating it with this situation, and I don't support pretending that it's ok to demagogue it by telling people that they'll be drone-bombed while drinking their morning coffee if they publicly disagree with Obama.

April 22, 2013 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"Thanks for clarifying that for me Sniffit. I, in no way want to usurp our laws for expediance sake. That's what the terrorists want us to do. I meant to add at the end of my original post that I'm no legal expert. lol"

I'm not either really...jut sharing what I've learned while reading about all this...elsewhere of course, since you're not going to learn those things from CNN.

April 22, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  12. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House

"So many people lose their citizenship for not paying taxes"
    --------------------------------------------
    Name names!

April 22, 2013 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  13. Sniffit

"Time wasted on this thug is WORSE than what he did. He should be put before a firing squad for the world to see.
    When you've got this trash and we contemplate what to do... Its an invitation for more."

So we should behave just like the Taliban?

April 22, 2013 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  14. Homer Simpson

So scott, we will be better off when we dont have to face predudism because it went away. our leaders should be able to work together no matter who is in office, their inability to act like adults is the problem. not obama being black

April 22, 2013 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

ghostriter

-----–
    Putting him in civilian trial is fine by me. Adminstering the death penalty? That's another question.

April 22, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. ThinkAgain

But that won't keep Fox, Rush and all the right-wing nutjobs from criticizing President Obama for not doing so.

For those who believe all the right-wing nonsense: You'd think being so ignorant would physically hurt or SOMETHING after awhile ...

April 22, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. ThinkAgain

Perhaps you should move to where there is no rule of law ... perhaps Somalia or Afghanistan? I'm sure there'd be no lack of funding to do so ...

April 22, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. rosethornne

We are a nation of laws.

April 22, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. Tea Party Thomas

Needed a quick trail followed by a quick hanging. Tell the world this country know how to handled terrorists.

April 22, 2013 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  20. freedom

This man lost all rights to his citizenship when he blew limbs off of people with his evil intent. He's old enough to know what he was doing – can't blame his brother. This president is harboring terrorists on our own country!

April 22, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He is a citizen, and the crime was done on US soil. How could he be tried any other way than in criminal court? The question is would he make it to trial? Given how slow he is recovering, I don't think that he would.

April 22, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. Namerene

Surprised Barry doesn't have this misunderstood boy over for supper

April 22, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. GonzoinHouston

I am reminded of a good line from a bad western, in which the sherrif tells the guy "we're gonna see to it that you get a fair trial and a first-rate hanging". Read him his rights, get him a good lawyer, and present an air-tight case in court. I'm normally not a big supporter of the death penalty, but I think this case justifies it, assuming the prosecution is indeed air-tight.

April 22, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. Patrick in Wisconsin

freedom, why you are correct. We are harboring terrorists in the U.S. Ever heard of something called PRISON?

April 22, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  25. Mikenycli

These guys are no differenent than Sandy hook or Columbine murderers or Charles Manson or Son of Sam. They are murderers and should be treated as so. We always want to know why some evil nut job did what they did. There is no rationale justification other than that they are evil nut jobs. They can blame it on some dog talking to them or their religion but evil is as evil does.

April 22, 2013 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |