Ahead of library opening, Obama says Bush 'loves this country'
April 24th, 2013
1 year ago

Ahead of library opening, Obama says Bush 'loves this country'

(CNN) – His predecessor may be his political opposite, but President Barack Obama stressed Wednesday that George W. Bush remained steadfast in his love of country.

Speaking at a Democratic fundraiser in Dallas on the eve of Bush's presidential library dedication, Obama said he was eagerly anticipating attending the event, which will bring together all five living U.S. presidents.

"I’m really looking forward to attending the Bush library opening tomorrow," Obama said, according to reporters traveling with him. Cameras were not permitted inside the event.

"One of the things I will insist upon is whatever our political differences, President Bush loves this country and loves its people and shares that same concern, and was concerned about all people in America, not just those who voted Republican. I think that’s true about him and I think that’s true about most of us," he continued.

While gridlock in Washington persists - "Right now Washington is not – how do I put this charitably? It’s not as functional as it should be," Obama said - Republicans can still expect calls from the president.

“Occasionally I may make some of you angry because I’m going to reach out to Republicans and I’m going to keep on doing it,” he told the crowd of Democratic donors. “Even if some of you think I’m a sap I’m going to keep on doing it because that’s what I think the country needs.”

Filed under: George W. Bush • President Obama
  1. Catmandew

All talk Obama no action! You know as we'll as anyone if you wanted things to work that you should've been talking to Congress long ago! You just pushed your agenda made a lot of behind closed doors deals to get Obamacare and most of your policies passed. Obamacare will kill small business, big business will no longer provide benefits and the taxpayers will get penalized. You are a BIG part of the disfunction you just don't see past your oversized EGO.

April 24, 2013 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  2. Catmandew

Obama another word for failure to get anything done in DC!

April 24, 2013 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain

I don't doubt GW Bush loves this country. The problem was he was incompetent on so many levels: cut taxes during wartime which resulted in a huge deficit, tanked the economy, gave up on bin Laden, ignored the memo warning us of the 9/11 attacks, and on and on and on.

April 24, 2013 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  4. art

I expect that President OBAMA would also give US UNION LOVING SUPPORTERS WHAT WE VOTED FOR, and the is FORWARD WITH CHANGE without the GOPTP. They can come on board or go back in reverse, but, we are MOVING FORWARD!

April 24, 2013 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  5. FREEDOM

What would Obama know about loving this country?

April 24, 2013 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  6. Thomas

Five living U.S. presidents.

History .

April 25, 2013 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  7. jod

Obama is a clown

April 25, 2013 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  8. vikingwoman

Yes, thank you, Barak Obama! Keep reaching out & continue to be known for doing so! It's never weak to stand up for your convictions! Speaking of weak, Bush Should love this country! We gave Everything, as citizens & he gave us the worst recession since 1930! And why does he get a library, of all things! How about a bridge to nowhere!!

April 25, 2013 05:42 am at 5:42 am |
  9. The Elephant in the Room

It`s a special club no doubt. NO ONE but those 5 people has any idea what it its like to sit in that office. The pressures, the frustrations, the fears, the doubts a President experiences. Leadership at tough times is a lonely world. Whatever their differences I trust and hope that succesive presidents commit to advancing so continuity between themeselves so that the world, our enemies & our friends, see momentum from us iin various areas rather than fits & starts.

April 25, 2013 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  10. rob

Reach out to republicans.....hahahahaand the lies just pour out like water

April 25, 2013 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  11. Marie MD

What is he going to say? He sent over 4000 Americans to their deaths spewing lies?
    His administration knew that terrorists (bin laden) wanted to fly planes into buildings and all he could do was nothing!

April 25, 2013 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  12. Name lynn

President obama please dont say that about george bush, he just saying that because hes a looser. Only the rich people love bush not the poor people an the 49%.

April 25, 2013 07:07 am at 7:07 am |