April 25th, 2013
12 months ago

Bush on painting: 'I see colors differently'

(CNN) – Former President George W. Bush has become known for his painting skills, an unexpected hobby the 43rd president has picked up in his post-White House life.

"I relax. I see colors differently. I am, I guess, tapping a part of the brain that, you know, certainly never used when I was a teenager. And I get the satisfaction out of completing a project. And I paint people's pets. And I love to give them their pet as a gift," he told CNN's John King.

As the former president gears up to open the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, his paintings of landscapes and animals have garnered more attention in recent months.

"I readily concede the signature is more valuable than the painting," Bush added.

"Who would have thunk it?" added former first lady Laura Bush. "George was looking for a pastime, actually, when he gave up smoking cigars. So he read Churchill's book, 'Painting as a Pastime' and he's actually very good. He's a very good painter."

Filed under: George W. Bush
  1. Data Driven

"i see colors differently"

"I remembered that evil exists"

The one thing I miss from the Bush presidency are his really strange and comical utterances. I saw this headline and the picture and cracked up.

"Life is like a box of choc-lits" ...

April 25, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  2. Woman In California

There isn't anything George W. Bush can ever say that I would find humor in – nor do I wish him any peace in his new life. Since he obvioulsy doesn't live in the same would we do – a world with no jobs, dead family members, little savings and little to no pensions left I guess life is good for him. As to his new found profession in painting, at least he's alive to take up a new hobby and that's more than a lot of dead people can say thanks to his greed, deception and lies.

Looking at the five of them today, I saw FIVE hypocritical politians who actually care about themselves.

April 25, 2013 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. Wake up People!

Poor guy, someone should have him checked for alzheimers. He always looks so clueless....

April 25, 2013 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  4. Romney is Still NOT My Hero

"I guess, tapping a part of the brain that, you know, certainly never used when I was a teenager."
    -------------------–

Put plainly – parts of your brain are just now sobering up. All jokes aside, I'm glad his coming into his own. Most people never do.

April 25, 2013 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  5. Andy

I'm not surprised President Bush is enjoying retirement. He has a wonderful family and deserves all the happiness in the world after keeping us safe during our darkest hours and leading us into the new millenium.

April 25, 2013 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  6. g

know wonder cheney was able to lead this guy around like a puppy

April 25, 2013 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. Ghostwriter

Colors.....pretty colors....

Is the man on a constant trip?

April 25, 2013 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. Evergreen

I am sure that there are many parts of his brain that he never used. If the above truly is a direct quote, it reads like something that came from a high schooler rather than a Harvard graduate and former President.

April 25, 2013 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  9. Deb in MT

He sees 'colors differently', and he also smells rainbows.....whatever.

Glad he has a hobby and all that. Unlike many of the veterans wounded in his little war of choice based on lies, he also has both eyes to see those colors, and at least one good hand to hold a brush. I guess I'm a bit bitter that he is so blase about the incredible pain he caused so many to suffer.

April 25, 2013 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  10. Minnie Mouse

Bush has got to do something in his life, so why not enjoy! I saw his paintings and thought he was really creative and funny at the same time.

April 26, 2013 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  11. Kassa

I may be wrong but at the dedication for the library gathereing yesterday, I have never seen President Obama looking so uncomfortable in any gathering. It seems as though he was also being avoided by the group. How interesting indeed.

April 26, 2013 08:47 am at 8:47 am |