2016 Poll: Hillary Clinton lapping potential Democratic field
April 30th, 2013
12 months ago

2016 Poll: Hillary Clinton lapping potential Democratic field

(CNN) - Do you need more evidence that Hillary Clinton, if she decides to run for the White House again, would be the overwhelming front-runner among Democrats for their party's 2016 presidential nomination?

If so, then a new national poll provides the proof.

The survey, released Tuesday from Fairleigh Dickinson University, indicates Clinton more than lapping the field of other possible Democratic White House hopefuls.

According to the poll, 63% of self-identified Democrats and those who lean towards the Democratic Party say they'd support Clinton as their presidential nominee. Twelve percent say they'd back Vice President Joe Biden, with 3% supporting New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, 12% backing someone else and one in ten unsure.

The survey is in-line with just about every other poll conducted the over past five months on the battle for the Democratic nomination, from a WMUR/Granite State survey of New Hampshire Democrats that came out over the weekend to our own CNN/ORC national poll from last December.

It should be noted that polls conducted this early in a presidential cycle are heavily influenced by name recognition. And Clinton, the former first lady, senator from New York State, 2008 Democratic presidential candidate and former secretary of state, has plenty of name recognition.

Even though the next race for the White House is a long way away, there's already intense speculation over whether Clinton will make a second bid for president.

When asked just before she stepped down as secretary of state whether she was thinking of making another run for the White House, Clinton said "I am not thinking about anything like that right now."

And in an interview with CNN later that day, when asked if she's decided against another candidacy for president, Clinton responded that "I have absolutely no plans to run."

But she added that "I am lucky because I've been very healthy. I feel great. I've got enormous amounts of energy that have to be harnessed and focused, so I'm very fortunate. I'm looking forward to this next chapter in my life, whatever it is."

While the race for the Democratic nomination is basically frozen until Clinton makes a decision, the hunt for the Republican nomination remains wide open. The new poll, as with past surveys, indicates that there's no front runner on the GOP side.

Eighteen percent of self-identified Republicans or those who lean towards the GOP say they support Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, with 16% backing former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and 14% supporting New Jersey Gov. Christie. Nine percent back former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, a 2012 GOP presidential candidate who battled eventual nominee Mitt Romney deep into the primary calendar, with 21% preferring someone else and one in five unsure.

"Republican uncertainty mirrors the identity crisis the party is facing as it redefines its message in the aftermath of the 2012 presidential loss. Republican voters seem to be saying they remain on the lookout for their party's Mr. or Mrs. Right," says Krista Jenkins, professor of political science and director of FDU's PublicMind.

The Fairleigh Dickinson poll was conducted April 22-28, with 863 registered voters nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.4 percentage points.

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton
  1. LiberalsDisgustMe

She'll never win. One word for you liberal loons....Benghazi.

Hillary has already been caught in one lie during her testimony. Once the whistle blowers begin testifying she is sunk.

April 30, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. ja

I love the clintons, but in moma bush words repharsed we have had enough clintons, step aside let your baby run years from now

April 30, 2013 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Democrats would be foolish to throw all of their support behind Hillary Clinton. They really need to build up name recognition on more candidates besides her. She would have to pick a VP canidate, after all. I still think her window of best opportunity passed her by in 2008. Should she appear to be winning the Democratic nomination, you can bet that the GOP will make age and health an issue AFTER she locks it down.

April 30, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Rudy NYC
    Welcome back babe.

April 30, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. Bill

@LiberalsDisgustMe

I suppose the dream ticket in 2016 for the GOP will be the Aqua Buddha and Rev. Santorum? It will be a very long time before the Republicans occupy the White House. End of story.

April 30, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  6. John from Brooklyn

My money is on a Hillary Clinton/Charlie Crist landslide.

April 30, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. lottie

so who would the repos suggest??? Looney eddy munster or rick the righteous maybe randy paul or that bimbo palin. ? The party of No has No one at the moment.

April 30, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  8. Vince

If the best people have to complain about is Benghazi...come up with something else. Sorry...Americans are shallow and couldn't care less about it. It's old news. Most people probably couldn't even find it on a map. Try again.

April 30, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Romney is Still NOT My Hero

Running Christie is the ONLY chance the Repubs have at being in the White House anytime soon, but they won't have him. Clinton will prove to be a formidable opponent against anyone; I just don't know of a good VP for her. Biden needs to hang it up.

April 30, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. Hiram Davis

Despite her long past and continuing trend of criminality, there is the unfortunate possibility that she will end up in the White House. The combination of low/no-information voters and the massive voter fraud machinery that will still be in place will undoubtedly make her a shoo-in. Too bad there's no merit to help her along.

April 30, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House

She very much is the frontrunner, however, you can't overlook Gov. Cuomo or Gov. O'Malley. My surprise shocker that will jump into the race is Sen. Mark Warner of my state of Virginia and he will be a formidable canidate.

April 30, 2013 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. Rick McDaniel

April 30, 2013 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  13. dictator

She has failed at everything she has done so ofcourse liberals support her lol

April 30, 2013 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

And who could the Republicans possibly run against her?

Paul "I haven't run the numbers, yet." Ryan?
    Rick "I want to bring religion into politics" Santorum?
    Marco "I want to be rap star" Rubio?
    Rand "I believe in Ayn" Paul?

How about the party leader, Rush "Scowls and Jowls" Limbaugh?

April 30, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  15. Tea Party Thomas

She will never win. One word SOCIALIST.

Rand Paul 2016

April 30, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  16. Tony

Hillary is lapping the entire 2016 field, including Republicans.

April 30, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  17. Richard in Houston

@liberals disgust me. Wait, wait, oh man your killing me. Let me catch my breath. Wow I have not laughed that hard in a long. Ben.. Nope thought I could say the name without cracking up again. Ok here goes. Benghazi? Here comes the laughter again!

April 30, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  18. Rob

Great. Just what we need. Another lying democrat in the white house. America can't survive another one after Obama

April 30, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  19. The REAL Truth...

@Rick McDaniel – The Dem socialists want to complete their takeover of America. Hillary will make Obama look conservative.
    ---------------------------–
    NEWSFLASH: Obama IS conservative.. do a little research. It amazes me that the right wing sheeple can't see that. At least he's not out on the looney right like Perry, Santorum, Rubio, Cruz, McConnell, McCain, Boehner et al.

April 30, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  20. Peoples State of Illinois

If the American people are uninformed/brainless enough to elect her, then they deserve the continuing disaster that will occur. That being said, most of the republicans are not much better, though the disaster will be a bit slower in coming.

April 30, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  21. Data Driven

Meh. She was lapping everyone else in 2005, too.

No Royal Families in the White House.

April 30, 2013 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. Richard Long

Hillary Clinton = buyers remorse for decisions made in 2008

April 30, 2013 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  23. v_mag

Can we have a new dynasty now, for a change? No more Clintons, Bushes, or Kennedys for me. I don't have anything against Hillary personally or even politically. I like the idea of a woman for President. But there are other women, more vigorous women, that would be good. I don't think our presidents should be Social Security age when they start. The job ages them enough.

BTW, I'm just short of SS myself.

April 30, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  24. The Real Tom Paine

-Tea Party Thomas

She will never win. One word SOCIALIST.

Rand Paul 2016
    ***********
    Rand Paul, the man who endorsed the adulter and liar Sanford? Did Rand get an invite to the next Super Bowl Party in Buenos Aires?

April 30, 2013 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  25. Robert Camacho

Wheter you like it or Not., Clinton will be President! : )

She is the best qualified candidate, if she decides to run ! SHE HAS MY VOTE – Ready for Hillary 2016 ...

"Always aim high, work hard, and care deeply about what you believe in.
    When you stumble, keep faith. When you're knocked down, get right back up.
    And NEVER listen to anyone who says you can't or shouldn't go on."

Hillary Rodham Clinton-