Obamacare applications get shorter
April 30th, 2013
1 year ago

Obamacare applications get shorter

(CNN) – Applications for health insurance coverage under President Barack Obama's sweeping healthcare law will go from 21 pages to three, according to a White House official, who said the change was part of an effort to simplify the implementation of Obamacare.

"The President wants the Administration to be as flexible and nimble as possible in implementing the ACA law," the White House official said, referring to the law's official name, the Affordable Care Act. "It is a complex undertaking, and it is particularly important to the success of the law that enrollment into the Markteplaces be as user friendly as possible."

Starting this fall, the some 15 million Americans who buy health insurance on the individual market will be able to shop for and enroll in health insurance through state-based exchanges, with coverage taking effect in January. By 2016, some 24 million people will get insurance through the exchanges, while another 12 million will continue to get individual coverage outside of them, the Congressional Budget Office estimates.

A draft application to receive insurance on the exchanges topped out at 21 pages, the White House official said, which prompted criticism that it was overly complicated.

"Obviously, the drafting of the Marketplace application is just one small piece of ACA implementation," the official continued. "But we hope that people concerned with implementation will view this corrective action as a positive step and a demonstration of our interest in taking whatever actions we can to make the law work well for all."

The Affordable Care Act was passed in 2010 with loud opposition from Republicans, who have repeatedly tried to repeal the measure in Congress. The centerpiece of the law, an individual requirement to obtain health care insurance, was upheld as constitutional by the Supreme Court in 2012.

Filed under: Health care • President Obama
  1. Ray E. (Georgia)

Insurance Companies started raising their rates a couple of years ago because they knew what was coming. A lot of Employers are either letting workers go or cutting their hours because Omama Care would bankrupt them. As Senator Buucus says there is a Train Wreck coming. Some of you think there is a free lunch. Think again.

The Economy is stll floundering. But the Liberal's don't want to do what is necessary to fix the problem. Repeal Obama Care and extend the Bush Tax Cuts for at least 10 more years.

April 30, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Scottish Mama

@Fed up- I think you are mixing up the crap food that is processed for food, that you can buy with food stamps. It is also the quality of our food and access to it. Just wondering if you are able to take some poor children in at your home?

April 30, 2013 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. ag

Everyone who says that ACA is good, does not have to pay for their health insurance out of their pocket. They either have tax funded health insurance or are lobbyists for insurance companies.

Anyone paying for health insurance out of their pocket know that ACA is the worst thing. Insurance companies are raising rates without any bounds. The ACA does not prevent insurance companies from raising rates. The government will penalize if I pay "too much" for insurance. The government will penalize if I do not pay at all for insurance. Where am I living? Is this US or communist China?

The President did not ask the basic questions: Why is medical treatment so expensive in US and so cheap in India? Why lot of people from US are going to India for getting same quality medical treatment they get in US? How people are living in India without any need for medical insurance?

Medical insurance should not be required at all. This is scam. How does a doctor "settle" for $70 for an office visit if paid by insurance company vs. $150 if I pay out of pocket? Healthcare providers are in cahoots with insurance companies. Instead of breaking this ring of organized crime, the government has laid people bare to the wolves.

April 30, 2013 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Scottish Mama

@Anonymous- Walmart already only gives people 30 hours or less and has done this for decades to people.

April 30, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. Dante

It was the GOP that fought to have a two tier health system both private and government funded. The big insurance companies who lobby for it seems to have done their job. The plan was at the beginning to have a single health care system like Canada,Sweden,France, Denmark etc etc. I'm Canadian and enjoy single pay health care paid for by Federal taxes. My dad is 90 and all his prescriptions and home nursing is covered. Get your head out of the sand and realize that this is better for you in the long run. I pay 54% in Tax because I make over 120k a year with deductions it ends up being 38%. When companies in the states like GE and others don't pay any tax and Rommey pays less then 15%. Jesus, this is why you guys are having problems funding your health care. I travel to the states at least 3 times a year with my own health care coverage as well as my company health care on top of that. I don't pay extra for nothing and I have better health care then 90% of you who live in the states while i visit on vacation. I shop and go to Florida. Spending some of my hard earn money and it doesn't even enter my mind. Why can't you guys spend money on your own health care. I love the people in the states but this in fighting about basic needs for your people by your government is simply crazy. All the best Dante.

April 30, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. The REAL Truth...

@Fair is Fair – Medicare is for people over 65 (unless you have end-stage renal disease or are disabled). What does the so-called ACA have to do with Medicare (besides robbing a good deal of it's funding)?
    -----------------------------------
    You are usually more eloquent and informed on your posts, but clueless on this one. Medicare is Federally funded insurance for the over-65 and those with terminal conditions. Necessary as the retail insurers refuse to cover that group. Good so far? In 2014 when ACA goes into effect, those retail insurance companies can no longer automatically drop you for a pre-existing condition, or for reaching 65. They are required to cover you. Therefore, Medicare (over time) will no longer be needed and savings from that program can be realized. ACA is NOT robbing Medicare of it's funding. It's typical right wing mis-information.

April 30, 2013 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

I've just given a second look at Obamacare and I finally discovered what conservatives have been saying all along. Obamare is BAD for America! Sorry liberals but Obamacare or the presidency of President Obama is a bad symptom for Americans to the right. See, every time there's an article of the President addressing domestic or foreign issues, conservatives blood pressure skyrocket over the urge to display their bigotry, racism and hate for all who don't look or think like them. And suddenly they get ulcerss, heartburn, severe migrane, dimentia, depression, sadness, anger, frustration, constipation, sweatyness, paleness, thoughts of suicide and so on. Yes Obamacare or the presidency of President Obama is a very bad remedy for the country to the right. Yea, lets ban Obamacare. Take two more articles and a White House briefing and call me in the morning conservatives.

April 30, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  8. mountainlady

I'm currently sitting in the gap between retirement with no medical insurance and Medicare. I have three years to wait for Medicare and buying a stop gap policy is more than I can afford. So I'm currently self-pay and praying not to get sick or injured. What I'd like to know is where to find out about ACA and when can I sign up? If I can afford it I'm going to go for it. I have nightmares about falling and breaking something and ending up with medical bills that will threaten everything my husband and I have worked so hard to build.

April 30, 2013 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Scott

I find it ironic that one the main reasons they are trying to "simplify" the enrollment process is so they can get the 18-35 year old crowd to sign-up. They need this demographic to sign-up and "overpay and underutilize" the coverage, in effect, subsidizing the rest of the recipients of Obamcare. The other irony is calling this monstrosity the Affordable Care Act. This has all the hallmarks of an inefficient, bloated, corrupt, govenment run program. It's a complete joke and everyone (almost everyone) know it.

April 30, 2013 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. Sametestsameresults

@ comments about the cost health care going up since the release of ACA. Hello? I have been watching my health insurance rates go out in double digit percentages year after year since 1994? The HMO's are the middle men reporting 20-30% profit per year in the second largest business in Amerca but still I read people complaing about Dr's and hospitals and Obama etc.....The greed of the health care middle men have ruined health care in America. Obama is the first president to address it. The ACA isnt' perfect I agree, and in all honesty it is very similar to a Republican health care plan shot down by the democrats in 1988. It makes people PAY the GOP loves to make people PAY. They dont like corporations to pay, they dont like government to pay they like People to pay. I want single payer health care, why should Americans have to choose between health care and paying a mortgage? or sending their kids to college? Why should I have to be refused to schedule my colonoscopy because I havnt finished paying for my second one? I HAVE health care I have the best I can buy from my Billion Dollar profit per year Department of Defense job. I spend 274.00 each pay check for me and my kid but I still get REFUSED treatment! Obamacare or the ACA has only let the Genie out of the bottle things will get worse before they get better and some of you ignorant South of Mason Dixon line, Tea bagging idiots will see WHO is ripping you off!! It isnt the government my friends.

April 30, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  11. Fair is Fair

The REAL Truth...

-----------–
    ------
    First of all, when one reaches age 65, one becomes immediately eligible for Medicare (provided you have worked enough "quarters"). If you are working beyond age 65 and are covered by an employer-sponsored policy, Medicare becomes your primary policy and your employer-sponsored policy becomes your secondary policy... when you get sick, Medicare pays it's portion first, and the other policy then may or may not pay the balance based upon whatever the Coordination of Benefits (COB) stipulations are in effect. Now, your statement about "Medicare no longer being needed" is really over the top because Medicare is NOT going away as a result of the ACA. Thanks for the back-handed compliment... but are you sure you know what your talking about on this topic?

April 30, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  12. Debby

This is the worse thing that can happen to Americans. Insurance companies rates are sky high.

April 30, 2013 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

This statement makes no sense. Medicare is for people over 65 (unless you have end-stage renal disease or are disabled). What does the so-called ACA have to do with Medicare (besides robbing a good deal of it's funding)?
    -------
    What currently drives people from private insurers to Medicare? Private insurers drop them when they hit 65. Private insurers do not open policies for people over 65. Under the ACA there should be fewer people over 65 entering Medicare because they will still be covered by their private insurers.
    -----
    IF you truly mean Medicare, you're wrong. Those over 65 will continue to go into Medicare; the ACA has nothing to do with this.
    IF you mean Medicaid, you're wrong again. Medicaid is for those under an income threshold; it has nothing to do with age whatsoever.

April 30, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  14. overtaxedBK

I can already see the headlines from 2014:

"Tens of Thousands Stage Washington Protest Over ACA Fines"

The idealistic youth who voted for this mess will finally get a taste of the real world...

April 30, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"I find it ironic that..."

...people who are so grossly misinformed about the nature and details of something think that opposing their cartoonish mischaracterizations of it is the same as opposing what it really is....and that they are the very people it was designed to help in the first place.

April 30, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  16. overtaxedBK

@ Scott

So true..!!! They desperately need the young population to participate. Unfortunately, they are the hardest to motivate when they are often both broke and think they are indestructible and don't really need health care.

April 30, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. Gregorio

Wow! Shocker. Another southener spouting 19th century trash. Come into the light. You will not be taken seriously until you do.

April 30, 2013 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

NorCalMojo

A 2500 page bill that no one read?

What could go wrong?
    ----------------------–
    Republicans CHOSE not to read the bill.
    Republicans CHOSE not to attend the committee meetings in the House and Senate.
    Republicans CHOSE to feign ignorance of the contents of the bill.

April 30, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

------------------------–
    Stop feigning ignorance. It's beginning to fit. The numbers of people over 65 joining Medicare will decrease, and you know it. Deny it all you like. The only reason people sign up for Medicare is because they simply have no other recourse. Right wing policies forced its' creation, and the right wing is fighting to keep it's reason for being in existence.

April 30, 2013 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. Fair is Fair

mountainlady

------
    Buy a catastrophic care policy with a $10K deductible for the 3 years you're in transition... it won't be great, but it will be affordable and you won't have to worry about your life savings going up in smoke.

April 30, 2013 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. Taylor

Lower healthcare costs:

FDA/EPA need to endorse the precautionary method, stop GMOs entering the food supply.
    End the Drug Patent Laws – Some may not agree but healthcare should not be for profit. Providing healthcare for profit just ridiculous and anyone who believes otherwise is selfish and immoral. We're the one of the most unhealthy and yet overly medicated countries in the world. Companies have recently been allowed to use GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) in our food supply. Anti-biotics are injected into our live stock to keep increase the weight of cattle. Bottomline, I would gladly see the fall of fast food chains and an increase to beef for better quality meat that was raised naturally. Granted this would tank the economy but we'd recovery as we always do.

April 30, 2013 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

---------
    You need some more time off. The reason people sign up for Medicare is (1) – Medicare Part A (hospital coverage) is FREE upon reaching age 65 and (2) Medicare Part B (physicican services) is DIRT CHEAP (around $100 month). To accuse me of "feigning ignorance" on this topic just shows how utterly CLUESESS you are on it, Rudy.

April 30, 2013 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. Renee Marie Jones

To all the nay-saying conservatives, us "liberals" know EXACTLY how to fix the health care problem and we can PROVE that our solution works, because it works EVERYWHERE ELSE it is used. SINGLE PAYER. The only reason that America cannot solve its health care problem is because we do not have a health care system ... we have a welfare system for insurance, pharmaceutical, and hospital corporations. The corporations that control Congress will never let us solve the health care problem, because it will hurt their bottom line. So, we continue to kill people for the benefit of corporate profits.

April 30, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. Gregorio

I find it really ironic that the people who can benefit the most from a health care system that isn't status quo, and doesn't reward people who don't do the hard work, are the same ones who tirelessly scream and shout about socialism. They Must be getting that Koch brother healing.

April 30, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. Fair is Fair

Hey Rudy -

From SSA.gov:

Medicare is our country’s health insurance program for people age 65 or older. Certain people younger than age 65 can qualify for Medicare, too, including those who have disabilities and those who have permanent kidney failure. The program helps with the cost of health care, but it does not cover all medical expenses or the cost of most long-term care.

From medicare.gov:

Part A – You usually don't pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) coverage if you or your spouse paid Medicare taxes while working. This is sometimes called "premium-free Part A."

Part B – Most people pay the Part B premium of $104.90 each month in 2013.

So who's "feigning ignorance"? Here's a clue – YOU.

April 30, 2013 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |