Maryland governor signs death penalty repeal
May 2nd, 2013
12 months ago

Maryland governor signs death penalty repeal

(CNN) - Maryland's governor signed a bill Thursday repealing the death penalty.

The legislation goes into effect October 1.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Martin O'Malley • Maryland
  1. Guest

Typical liberal position...protect the criminal, the illegal, the insane and the lazy but kill babies and punish tax payers!

May 2, 2013 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. Tea Party Thomas

An eye for an eye tooth for a tooth.

May 2, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

With the amount of convictions being overturned due to DNA evidence, I think it's a wise move and should be done across the country. It's possible that the State of Texas executed an innocent man. For the teavangelicals out there, the only person allowed to give and take life is God! Now tell that to Gov. Yeehaw down in Texas,

May 2, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. Al-NY,NY

Guest

-------–

and how many innocent people have been executed when a simple DNA test would have vindicated them? Righties only care about putting someone....anyone in jail and hopefully to death all under the guise of being "lawful amurkins"

May 2, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  5. Data Driven

Surprisingly enough, given our many political problems, the march towards a civilized society continues apace.

May 2, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

May 2, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I don't object to the death penalty. The problem that needs to be solved is making sure that there is no way to execute an innocent person. We can't bring people back from the dead if it is determined that they didn't do it. Better to error on the side of caution (life in prison) rather than executing someone.

May 2, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. Fair is Fair

As a pro-life conservative, I'm glad to see this.

May 2, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. rs

Guest

______________________
    Typical Righty- go to the wall to protect zygotes, but execute people (even innocent ones in Texas) for crimes- even when life in prison is cheaper for the tax payer. You know, I'll give you that there are some folks who should die for their especially hidious crimes, but because the system favors some and not others, and unless guilt is absolutely positive,remember there is no going back once you kill somebody.
    Pro-life MEANS ALL LIFE.

May 2, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  10. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Fair is Fair
    As a pro-life conservative, I'm glad to see this.
    ------------------------------–
    You've shocked me Fair.

May 2, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Wake up People!

This is a law you will NEVER see in Texas. Does anyone remember the case where the black janitor was accused of raping and killing a white teenaged female? I think his name was Clarence Brandtner. The man proclaimed his innocence over and over, yet his conviction was just overturned a few days before execution. He had no criminal record, yet he was tried and convicted for a murder he didn't commit. There was evidence pointing to a white janitor with a criminal past whose ex even told the police he did it, but they still did nothing. Right now to this day, the police and the dead girls father still believe Clarence is guilty. And they NEVER pursued charges against the real killer. Very sad.

May 2, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  12. Woman In California

I like the governor and applaud his decision.

May 2, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  13. Fair is Fair

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Fair is Fair
    As a pro-life conservative, I'm glad to see this.
    ----------–
    You've shocked me Fair.
    -------
    I've always been against capital punishment. Unless the justice system is 100% perfect (and it's NOT), the "ultimate penalty" should not be in play. Pro-life works both ways. For the most innocent among us to the most wretched criminal.

May 2, 2013 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. Patrick in Wisconsin

teabag tommy, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Ghandi

May 2, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"An eye for an eye tooth for a tooth."

Aaaaaw....yes, Hammurabi's Code was certainly cute and appropriate for 1800 B.C., but this is the 21st century A.D....and I'm happy to see Maryland join the rest of us in it.

May 2, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  16. The Real Tom Paine

-Fair is Fair

As a pro-life conservative, I'm glad to see this.
    *******************
    Congratulations...that's 2 times in as many weeks we've agreed. Are you sure Hades has not frozen over again?

May 2, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. Guest

Where did I suggest executing innocent people rs? I didnt. Life in prison is cheaper than execution? Are you looking for an accountant, I think I can accept another client, particularly one as economically/mathmatically challenged as yourself...

May 2, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. Homer Simpson

Hang em high

May 2, 2013 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  19. Carly

Someday the Conservatives will realize that life exists outside the womb too. Do you realize how stupid you guys sound? Life is life so if you are really a Christian and really believe in pro-life, you must abide by "Thou shall NOT kill". Your faith "should" make that clear.

May 2, 2013 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

ATTENTION MEMBERS OF CONGRESS!!!!

If me and "Fair is Fair" can agree on something, why can't you?

May 2, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. Richard Long

For coldly and callously murdering a family of four with a rusty steak knife... I sentence you to a tickle session! Now come hear you lovable murder... Cochie, cochie, coo. You look so CUTE with you dead soulless eyes. We're those meanie guards mean to you. I think you need a hug!

May 2, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  22. just me

Life in prison IS cheaper than executing someone. Do the research

May 2, 2013 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

-Guest

*********************
    Being an accountant alone does not prepare you to understand the economy, especially since the math used to justify supply-side has never panned out. After a death-row inmate has exhausted their appeals, its cheaper to keep them alive when you factor in the legal costs. Not hard to grasp.

May 2, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. Romney is Still NOT My Hero

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

ATTENTION MEMBERS OF CONGRESS!!!!

If me and "Fair is Fair" can agree on something, why can't you?
    ---------------------------–
    Uh oh, even people on the discussion boards are starting to agree! I know the devil is wearing ice skates now.

May 2, 2013 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  25. Ed1

You don't have a clue unless you have had somebody killed and just watch them still alive.

The problem is it takes to long to carry out the sentence. Dna test once and that should be enough then it's time to meet their maker.

May 2, 2013 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |