First lady will head to Boston for Ed Markey
May 3rd, 2013
12 months ago

First lady will head to Boston for Ed Markey

(CNN) – Rep. Ed Markey, who became the Democratic nominee for U.S. Senate in Massachusetts earlier this week, will get a boost later this month from first lady Michelle Obama, who will travel to the state for a fundraising event.

The event on May 29, reported first by the Boston Globe and confirmed to CNN by a Democratic official, will mark Michelle Obama's first solo fundraising event since last year's presidential election. Tickets for the event start at $500, the official said.

The first lady attended a fundraising event for the Democratic National Committee alongside President Barack Obama last week in Texas.

The Globe, which received a copy of an invitation to the event, reported it would take place at the Taj Hotel, overlooking Boston's Public Garden.

Markey beat fellow Democratic Rep. Stephen Lynch in Tuesday's primary vote. He faces Republican businessman and former Navy Seal Gabriel Gomez, who won a three-way primary in a race largely overshadowed by the Boston Marathon bombings that took place a little more than two weeks ago.

Markey and Gomez will compete in the special election on June 25. The victor will fill the seat vacated by longtime Democratic Sen. John Kerry earlier this year when he was confirmed as U.S. secretary of state. In the meantime, Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick has appointed William "Mo" Cowan to serve as interim senator.

Filed under: Ed Markey • Massachusetts • Michelle Obama
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Gomez didn't have a chance of winning this seat and now he really doesn't. When you've got the FLOTUS on your side, you're in pretty good shape.

May 3, 2013 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  2. Wake up People!

I love our First Lady. I really do. But I am beginning to hate any article mentioning her on this hateful site. I dread reading the nasty, hateful, vile comments coming from the Party of Family Values. I have never in my life seen a POTUS or FLOTUS disrespected in this manner. NEVER.

May 3, 2013 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  3. Ray E. (Georgia)

I winder if What's-Her-Name is proud of her country yet? So far the Nanny State is winning. Lead on oh Great one!

May 3, 2013 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  4. Al-NY,NY

Ray E. (Georgia)

--------–

yawn..........I see the same old ideas don't die as they should. Right wing sheep have good memories and will continue to spew when told

May 3, 2013 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  5. Peoples State of Illinois

@Wake up People!

----------------
    Then you obviously were not paying attention to commentary from your side when Bush was president. It is just that republicans are getting a little payback. That being said, neither side is right in doing it.

May 3, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  6. Casey W

what a broad!! thats all Obama has done is runaround raising money,!! and this is not from family values i'ts from people that are fedup with Obama and that broad of his!!

May 3, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  7. pkrbkr3

Racism is very alive and well in this country.....what a shame! Our First lady is amazing! Intelligent, charming, beautiful, great mom......why can't people just stop judging?

May 3, 2013 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Wake up People!

I never heard anyone say the vile things about Bush nor his wife that have been said about President or Mrs. Obama.

After we found out that Bush and crew lied to us just to get us into a war and then crashed the economy when so many, including myself, lost their jobs, that's when I heard people rightly blaming the idiot in charge.

But please tell me, how many people questioned Bushs' citizenship??? How many??? Bush was dumb as a box of dirt, but I never heard him bashed like President Obama. Whatever happened to the mantra that the GOP yelled the entire time Bush was destroying America, that if you're not with the POTUS especially during wartime, you're a traitor??? Does that only apply to certain types???

May 3, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. Chipster

@Peoples State of Illinois
    There was plenty of reason to ridicule President Bush (lies used to excuse invading Iraq, unnecessary cost of that war, unfunded social programs – Medicare Part D & NCLB, exploding corporate welfare, cost of 2 bailouts in 2008, loss of about 4 million jobs....). But there was little or no criticism or Laura Bush. She is smart, charming, and kind. I have never read or heard the kind of vicious, racist, and ugly remarks that have been made about Michelle Obama. And for what? Encouraging children to exercise and eat right? She has served as an excellent 1st lady, despite the fact that people misrepresent every word public officials make these days.

May 3, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |