Chris Christie: Spider man
May 6th, 2013
11 months ago

Chris Christie: Spider man

(CNN) - The spider never had a chance.

A tiny arachnid crawling across New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's desk met a quick demise last week when the Republican gave the crawler a smack. Christie's daughter happened to be touring the governor's office with her fourth grade class.

Later, he tweeted video of the incident, with the message, "Earlier today I saved a few school children from a spider."

But even the seemingly innocent spider kill caught the eye of animal rights activists. The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wrote in a statement that Christie "probably did it without thinking."

"Some people put the spider outside, but spiders are often scary to people, and that can prevent them from pondering their worth," the group continues.

– CNN's Mayra Cuevas contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. SPW

PETA is a joke

May 6, 2013 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  2. Unreal

if only he could actually do some good for NJ. You know live help the unemployment rate so it's not one of the worst in the entire country. This guy's myth and greater than what he has actually accomplished for the state of NJ (unless of course you are a rich corporation in which case the tax breaks came FLOWING in)

As far as the spider goes..who cares, he killed a spider. Corey Booker saves people from burning buildings and this guy killed a spider...really?

May 6, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. MattinUtah

WOAH Great breaking news there guys... I sure hope we get to the bottom of this! I only watch CNN but some times this crap is beyond ridiculous... People kill spiders for many reasons... All I know is that if I get bit by some of them I could day.. better then them me... and I'm a BIG FAT LIBERAL get over it nerds.

May 6, 2013 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. Larry in Houston

LOL !! good article CNN !! but let me give you my opinion, OK ? Wouldn't this be a fantasy ? Hillary gets on the phone with Christy – they end up on air force 1 – with Obama – and long story short – they end up in mexico – talking with carlos slim – & carlos slim ends up "giving Hillary & Christy" a Billion – and Hillary & Christy ends up returning with a billion dollars (with a "B") ( cash btw) for the campaign in 2016 – IF that happened – it would be "game over" for the GOP in 2016 – - LOL By The Way – - a billion to carlos slim would be like a loaf of bread to a regular person on the street of the U.S.

May 6, 2013 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  5. Tom

Christie made a huge mistake! He squashed a spider. If he pulled out a gun and shot it, the NRA would be hailing him as a hero.

May 6, 2013 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. Fiona

I leave small spiders where they are, and take larger ones outside for realease. I do kill black widows, though. Nothing good can come from having them around.

May 6, 2013 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. Belseth

Wow! Slow news day CNN? Can't wait for the next breaking news, "Christie scratches himself on camera! Watch Anderson Cooper and company debate the explosive new video on tonight's show!" Edward R Murrow is weeping in his grave.

May 6, 2013 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |