Chris Christie: Spider man
May 6th, 2013
12 months ago

Chris Christie: Spider man

(CNN) - The spider never had a chance.

A tiny arachnid crawling across New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's desk met a quick demise last week when the Republican gave the crawler a smack. Christie's daughter happened to be touring the governor's office with her fourth grade class.

Later, he tweeted video of the incident, with the message, "Earlier today I saved a few school children from a spider."

But even the seemingly innocent spider kill caught the eye of animal rights activists. The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wrote in a statement that Christie "probably did it without thinking."

"Some people put the spider outside, but spiders are often scary to people, and that can prevent them from pondering their worth," the group continues.

– CNN's Mayra Cuevas contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. Mike

It is fear based action. It looks scary so kill it. It is ahuge problem with our violent culture.

May 6, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  2. Adam

Interesting. So if a PETA member lives in a cockroach or mouse infested home or apartment they won't kill them and allow them to take over, spreading germs and disease?

What if termites are destroying their home? Are they going to let them chew it to the ground?

May 6, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

Why is this news? The man killed a spider: are spiders endangered? Not the last time I checked. As a liberal and staunch environmentalist, I say this with conviction: PETA is a waste of money and time. The ASPCA, the Humane Society and other groups do far better work, because they focus on annimal cruelty cases that actually matter.

May 6, 2013 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  4. Paul

I try to defend PETA, but they sure make it hard sometimes.

May 6, 2013 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  5. Jc

Will no one think of the poor arachnids? Maybe Sarah McLaughlin needs to make a tear-jerking commercial featuring sad eyed spiders.

May 6, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. jay

This reminds me of the story of a mass. governor in 1878. WHen he was talking to a bunch of kids when a black man walked into the room. He shot the black man cold and stated that he had saved the lives of the children.

May 6, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. JohnParryJones

We should put that organization outside.

May 6, 2013 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. Mike

May 6, 2013 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  9. Billy Noname

The other day I asked my wife for a newspaper. She said "Don't be silly, just grab my iPad!"

That spider didn't stand a chance!

May 6, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. Brad76

People should never kill spiders, they eat vermin!

May 6, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. Demigod Vadik, CA

KILL IT!!!...the Republican answer to everything...

...actually killing spiders is really bad luck...

May 6, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"Really? PETA finds the time to talk about a spider killing as thousands (millions?) of farm animals languish in horrible living conditions while they say nothing?"

Ummmmm, no....in fact, they can't stop talking about the issue of whether there is any such thing as "humane meat." WTH is wrong with people that they always presume that if someone or some organization says something about one issue, it automatically means they aren't paying attention to any other issues whatsoever?

I'm not huge PETA fan either, so save your accusations of bias. I like a big fat grilled but still-mooing steak as much as the next red blooded male American who will likely suffer heart disease by age 50.

May 6, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Tony

It is a sad day in journalism when CNN thinks it is newsworthy that a governor squashed a spider on his desk. Search your feelings, CNN. You know it to be true.

May 6, 2013 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Ryan Brooks

It's likely that the arachnid was a Democrat...

May 6, 2013 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. Richard L Smith

PETA – it was an insect for cryin' out loud!

May 6, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Sametestsameresults

I try to back up animal rights groups........they have gone too far here.

May 6, 2013 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  17. Pathetic

PETA is a joke.

May 6, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  18. jac99

It's a joke, people! Do we always believe everything anyone tells us? ROFL

May 6, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. Chris

How is this news?!

May 6, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  20. Geoff

these people are so lame

May 6, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  21. Yakobi

In this case, the "A" in "PETA" stands for "arachnids".
    Hello? McFly? Spiders aren't animals!

May 6, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  22. peta

PETA- People Eating Tastey Animals

May 6, 2013 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  23. G tech

A spider. Really PETA? Pick and choose your battles. This makes you look like you have absolutely no common sense.

May 6, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  24. Pandamonius

lol....as a (lately) liberal leaning independent, I can comfortably say "Good for Christie!". I have a simple rule. If a spider is in my way, but outside my house, I'll leave it alone or move it aside. If it decides to invade my home, it's fair game and should expect to meet a grizzly end.

May 6, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  25. M.E.

As an arachnophobe, I'd like to thank the bellowing walrus for killing my nemesis. First he shows us all that he's an acceptable human with Sandy, now he kills a spider, I'm starting to like the guy.

May 6, 2013 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |