May 7th, 2013
12 months ago

Christie: Weight loss surgery won't play any role in career choices

(CNN) – The weight loss surgery Gov. Chris Christie underwent in February was not a precursor to seeking higher office, the New Jersey Republican asserted Tuesday.

Christie, speaking in public for the first time since his surgery was revealed, said the decision instead was based on his commitment to his family.

"It's not a career issue for me. It is a long term health issue for me. And that is the basis upon which I made my decision," Christie said, saying that "the steps I've taken are for me, and Mary Pat, and the kids."

Christie secretly underwent lap-band surgery a few months after turning 50 in February, though the procedure wasn't revealed until Tuesday. He said he spent around 10 hours at New York University's Langone Medical Center in Manhattan for the process, though the surgery itself only took 40 minutes. It was minimally invasive and didn't interrupt his schedule, Christie said. New Jersey's

Part of his pre-surgery consultations included a discussion with New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, who himself underwent a lap band procedure in 2010. Ryan didn't know at that point that Christie was considering weight loss surgery, though he was able to provide a first-hand account of the process.

In fact, no one outside a small circle of Christie aides and family members knew of the surgery until Tuesday, and the governor never intended the information to go public. He said the weight loss measure wasn't "anybody else's business but mine," but that when a reporter from the New York Post began inquiring about the procedure he was forthcoming.

The ensuing media attention, he said, has been "ridiculous."

"I think there are so many more important issues we are dealing with in this state on a day-to-day basis that for this kind of attention to be drawn to the fact that I'm pursuing a weight loss measure is, I think, shows just how really shallow a lot of this coverage has become and why a lot of people ignore it," he told reporters.

After a month and a half, Christie said he doesn't feel "markedly different" than before the lap band, but that he wasn't discouraged in the least.

"I'm at the beginning stages of this thing," Christie said, noting that "I feel great about myself."

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Okay CNN. We get the point. You have a Christie weight loss fetish. This is the 3rd article already. Geesh!!!

May 7, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  2. Sniffit

"Christie: Weight loss surgery won't play any role in career choices"

Or votes. Moving on...

3 stories on his lap band surgery in one day, CNN? But not one about the GOP/Teatrolls suddenly obstructing the very "return to regular order" that they demanded on the budget process? Seems to me CNN's editors need some brain surgery.

May 7, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  3. Wake up People!

Sure. And I'm a pink fairy......

FoxLite is definitely propping this thing up. Who cares about his weight? Can we get some REAL info on the Thugenor??

May 7, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. jw

Christie may have good shot at the WH. He at least has the balls to kick some political ass in DC. A lot of people respect that!

May 7, 2013 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. CB FL

I think this is one of the few repugs that actually thinks about his family. I don't agree with most of the things he does but I do agree to live long enough to take care of your kids.

May 7, 2013 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  6. jane

"Wont play any role in career choices". And I'm the Duchess of Kent.

May 7, 2013 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  7. RomneyWho

I did this so I can fit through the doors of the White house come 2016 when I run for president of these United States of America. :(

May 7, 2013 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  8. Flagship, NC

Christie, Good Luck. Glad that you went through with it.

May 7, 2013 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  9. ladeeda

Good for him

May 7, 2013 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  10. S.B. Stein

He may be trying to lose weight, but that doesn't change that his poor policies that don't help the poor.

May 7, 2013 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  11. holam

do they really think because he loses weight he can govern better?? Whatever, his weight is really his own business and I think it is kinda stupid the way people kept at him about it. Does this really surprise anyone the way the media kept at him that he would go to these lengths??

May 7, 2013 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  12. holam

wake up people: What site are we on?? not fox, CNN

May 7, 2013 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  13. josh rogen

the more i see of Christie the less i like him. just another Obama/Bush party clone

May 8, 2013 04:19 am at 4:19 am |