Is Jack Lew changing his signature?
May 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Is Jack Lew changing his signature?

(CNN) - As Treasury Secretary Jack Lew was undergoing Senate confirmation hearings earlier this year for his Cabinet post, he took some ribbing over his loopty loop signature–one that would appear on printed currency.

Jack Lew signature1

A little more than two months into the job, the new secretary is signing documents with a different, more legible 'John Hancock'...errrr...Jack Lew.

Jack Lew signature

Whether that will be the official signature to appear on bills is unclear. A Treasury spokesperson said "stay tuned."

The Bureau of Printing and Engraving has not begun printing currency with his name.

It's not usual for new Treasury secretaries to practice their signatures before they appear U.S. currency. Former Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner told Marketplace last year that he had to change his signature from a loopy version to something more legible when he submitted his signature to print on currency notes.

"I had to write something where people could read my name," he said in the interview.

In a January press conference, Lew acknowledged their shared signature struggle.

"It was only yesterday that I discovered that we both share a common challenge with penmanship," he said.

MSNBC first noted the change in Lew's signature.

– CNN's Ashley Killough and CNNMoney's Emily Jane Fox contributed to this report.

Filed under: Jack Lew • Treasury Department
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

The new signature is actually legible.

May 7, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Anonymous

Why is this news??

May 7, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Snarky MacFee

Wow, good..to...know. Thanks for informative expose'.

May 7, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. bczu

I always wished I took more time to develop my hand writing. Signing documents with my chicken scratch is always a bit embarrassing.

May 7, 2013 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  5. Rick

This has got to be the least useful article I have seen in a long time. It looks like a third graders writing. He needs to go back to school and learn how to write. If he ever wrote something that looked like that, I would throw it in the garbage.

May 7, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. Sniffit

"Is Jack Lew changing his signature?"

Better (threshhold) question: does anyone care?

May 7, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  7. Bob

What kind of narcissist would develop that signature in the first place? And why would we want that person in charge of our nation's treasury?

May 7, 2013 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  8. Yakobi

It's not "loopty loop", it's "loop de loop".

May 7, 2013 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  9. Get Real

REALLY CNN?????? I take it that it must a slow news day for your staff. I could think of a bunch more RELEVANT things to report.

May 7, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  10. Larry in Houston

If I was Obama – I would enroll this dude in some sort of English writing class or something. Then give him the post. I can understand why Doctors sign their signatures like a 4 yr old – because while they were in college, they had to write fast – to get everything that was on the board – or whatever the Instructor was giving them – and from what I understand, those people that's getting their doctorate – they tell me that the instructor goes thru so much, in such little time, it's pitiful. This guy did not go to MD school – or doesn't have a PHD next to his name.

May 7, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. Al-NY,NY

oh no......he must be hiding something.......is it Benghazi info??? is it Obama's golf score? is it the true whereabouts of that elusive birth certificate? Stay tuned rightie conspiracy folks. Put your tin foil hats on and prepare for a new revelation about the soshulist community organizer

May 7, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. Gurgyl

News worthy?? Pity. I change my signature so many times.

May 7, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. Irving

Did he also change his name from John to Jane? Because that new signature sure looks more like 'Jane' than 'John'

May 7, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  14. ghynson

With the technology we have now, they need to print circuitry in the bills.
    So that when you pull snap them, a monotone voice blurts out the denomination of the bill.
    That way blind people know how much money they have.
    Just a thought.

May 7, 2013 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  15. Name lynn

Jack lew signature is not worth talking about, guns an bombs are more important than jack lew he can change whatever kind of hand writting an signature thats on hm.

May 7, 2013 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. George Dixon

What will our paper currency look like?

With Obama' Economy....they'll look like Food Stamps

May 7, 2013 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  17. Al-NY,NY

George Dixon

What will our paper currency look like?

With Obama' Economy....they'll look like Food Stamps
    ------------

with your mentality, the latest printed and minted items would bear the date 1950. That's where the GOP wants the US to return to.....picket fences along a tree-lined street....3 or 4 well dressed white children frolicking on the lawn....mommy meeting daddy at the door with his slippers and a drink....her in a kitchensmock/heels/pearls and a submissive smile on her face

May 7, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  18. Johnny 5

Jacob needs to learn to sign in Chinese Hanzi.

May 7, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  19. Ancient Texan

With the constant printing by Bernanke, the value of the money is dropping to the level of monopoly money.

May 7, 2013 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. ERKO

Let's see how many time we can blame Obama for something on this board ... go! Bahaha. Simpletons.

May 7, 2013 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. Tarcil

It must be a really slow news day if this even begins to qualify as news. I'm glad that absolutely nothing serious is happening today, so that this is important enough to make the cut!

May 7, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. Data Driven

Has Alex Jones been informed of this?

May 7, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  23. Don in Mo

Funny – I thought it very appropriate that both Jack & Tim had loopy signatures. Just like their boss – LOOPY!

May 7, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  24. Jean

Come on CNN, how does this qualify as news? You have time and space for this nonsense, and Christie's weight and presidential golf but not Benghazi?? I reiterate that if this were a republican president in the midst of the Benghazi mess Obama has made it would be front page news on CNN and every other liberal news outlet.

May 7, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |