Biden jokes he’s ‘made it to the presidency’ in tribute to nation’s firefighters
May 10th, 2013
1 year ago

Washington (CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden honored firefighters and public safety officers Thursday evening, telling them “you are always, always there.”

Biden, who formerly served as chairman of the Congressional Fire Services Caucus while in the Senate, also took a moment to tease the friendly crowd about his presidential ambitions, joking that the press “likes to point out that I ran for president twice but I never made it.”

“I want you to know that in 2004, I made it,” Biden said. “I’m a president emeritus of the Delaware Volunteer Fire Association. So I have made it to the presidency.”

The vice president also touted a forthcoming initiative from the Obama administration aimed at improving access to federal funding for families of fallen public safety officers.

“Families of fallen public safety officers have had to wait much, much, much too long for federal benefits that all of us at that table and me have fought so hard to make sure existed,” Biden said.

“That’s why I’m proud to tell you that on Monday – I don’t want to steal his thunder – but a guy’s been working around the clock to fix this. The Attorney General of the United States will have an announcement to make fixing that problem, finally,” Biden said.

Among the many groups of public safety officers to whom Biden gave personalized shout outs were the first responders who battled the deadly blaze caused by a fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas.

“When the call went out, volunteers went out.  ... They suited up and they headed out, put on their equipment and they jumped.  They jumped into the fray,” Biden said.

“Even then, some of the fire trucks ablaze, even then in the midst of the chaos, they held their ground. They contained the blaze within three hours. They never quit. They never quit. They never quit.”

Nine of those volunteer first responders were killed by the blast.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Bob

Way to go Joe! A better man than cheney ever dreamed of being.

May 10, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. B I G

Joe Biden. Draft dodger.

May 10, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. Data Driven

Aw, bad week for conservatives, as the whiny tone of this thread demonstrates. Their little hearing on Wednesday was a bust-out, so now they're resorting to witticisms like "Joe is a joke" and the always popular "Joe is a clown". Whatever, I'm pouring your tears of unutterable sadness on my cornflakes this morning, wingers.

May 10, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. markus

Gees, I thought Obama had died and Biden was in. It all made sense to me as Biden becoming president would be the more dire headline.

May 10, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  5. tlobe

What a comfort to know that Biden is only a "heart beat" away from the presidency.

May 10, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  6. liberal disease

Dear God please help us! one leftie is enough!

May 10, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  7. Brian in DC

Any signs of intelligence coming from Joe yet?

May 10, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  8. BarryG

It may be just my imagination, but do Presidents pick their VP's to make them look smarter? You can go down through the ranks, btu Quale, Gore, Chaney and now Biden the clown jokester? I know Obama has to cringe everytime Biden does an interview or speech. Hell, Andy had to have a Barney and Gomer so it makes sense to have a Biden.,

May 10, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  9. Matt from CT

Here's another joke from Joe Biden:
    “Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.”

May 10, 2013 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. K

Brian in DC asks: "Any signs of intelligence coming from Joe yet?" All you have to do is re-watch the 2012 VP debate and see him carving up Paul Ryan.

May 10, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  11. Get over it

Whatever your feelings about him, Biden is hands down the consensus presidential pick for 2016 among late night comedians and talk show hosts.

May 10, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  12. Dave

Biden's the reason the left is so defensive of Hillary. With her out of the running he's their next best chance in 2016. Just think, an old, white, male baffoon. A walking high-light reel of gaffs waiting to happen. Everything they've been programmed to hate. If you listen very closely you can hear the progressives dream of "fundamentally transforming" this great country of ours slipping away.

May 10, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. Bidenless

Come on joe... isn't one face lift enough of a joke.. why speak, too? there's no need. we laugh just seeing you

May 10, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  14. Homer

I pray nothing happens to Obama. As inconceivable as it may seem, things would be even worse if this village idiot was at the wheel

May 10, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  15. pazke

Raise your hand if you actually read the entire article.....that's what I thought.

May 10, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  16. The fact of the matter

Biden doesn't need to tell jokes. He's a walking joke all by his lonesome.

May 10, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  17. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

May 10, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. edmundburkeson

Now we know why he's not President. We are not sure why he is Vice President. And we are pretty sure he is not a comedian either.

May 10, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  19. Lord Toronaga

I like you more than Hillary.

May 10, 2013 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  20. Larry in Houston

ny the time 2016 rolls around – the Benghazi thing will be forgotten about – I'm sort of glad that the republicans are constantly stirring this issue – by 2016, the voters will be so sick of hearing about it, they will become ticked off to the point they will not vote for the republicans, because they keep hammering away about something that has happened years ago, (by that time) + the fact that there was a lot of instances where embassies were attacked, all over the world, and unfortunately, people have died because of this. Quite frankly, I would have to put the blame on McCain & Graham on this Benghazi thing, because those 2 guys are a piece of work. It seems to me that everytime you see a photo or read or hear some type of comment, or interview from McCain & Graham – it seems like these 2 guys are either constantly complaining about something, or ticked off about something.

May 10, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. Larry in Houston

BY the time 2016 rolls around – the Benghazi thing will be forgotten about – I'm sort of glad that the republicans are constantly stirring this issue – by 2016, the voters will be so sick of hearing about it, they will become ticked off to the point they will not vote for the republicans, because they keep hammering away about something that has happened years ago, (by that time) + the fact that there was a lot of instances where embassies were attacked, all over the world, and unfortunately, people have died because of this. Quite frankly, I would have to put the blame on McCain & Graham on this Benghazi thing, because those 2 guys are a piece of work. It seems to me that everytime you see a photo or read or hear some type of comment, or interview from McCain & Graham – it seems like these 2 guys are either constantly complaining about something, or ticked off

May 10, 2013 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  22. obamacansaveyourhouselosangeles

o where o where has Obama been Biden? warning side effects may vary. if you have an Election that last more than 4 years please consult with your doctor.

May 10, 2013 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  23. yippeeskip

Saints preserve us!!!

May 10, 2013 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  24. Wake up People!

I'm curious to know.....

Have the impeachment proceedings started yet? Did they get the answers they were looking for???

RWNJ's are a walking, talking joke. The Dow is the highest in 5 years, contrary to Rush and klan, unemployment is down, spending is down, yet they still claim the sky is falling, but offer no solutions at all. What a pathetic group pandering to a mostly uneducated hick crowd.

I've never seen such unpatriotic people in all of my life.

May 10, 2013 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  25. Paul

She is the LAST thing we need in office!!!

"Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Let's have another Benghazi inquiry as if that's goanna affect Hillary Clinton's 2016 landslide victory! You mess with Hillary, you mess with America! Hillary Clinton 2016 by a LANDSLIDE!"

May 10, 2013 11:16 am at 11:16 am |