Extra IRS scrutiny on conservative applications shows 'corruption,' Palin says
May 11th, 2013
11 months ago

Extra IRS scrutiny on conservative applications shows 'corruption,' Palin says

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said the Internal Revenue Service's recent scrutiny of conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status is a sign of "corruption at the heart of big government" in Washington.

"So many Americans knew this was happening, but many felt defenseless and even helpless against a government that seems to roll along without accountability or sense of obligation to the people it's supposed to serve. These Americans were mocked for being concerned about this, but now we see light shining on the truth, finally," she wrote in an online posting shortly after the IRS acknowledged it made "mistakes" in handling the applications of tea party groups.

More: Following tea party complaints, IRS admits 'mistakes'

Lois Lerner, director of tax exempt organizations for the IRS, said 75 applications were singled out between 2010 and 2012 for extended review because the words "tea party" and "patriot" were included in the groups' names. Those applications were part of approximately 300 which received additional scrutiny during that time.

"Americans should remember that this same corrupt IRS will be in charge of enforcing Obamacare," she wrote. "And this same inept and corrupt government will supposedly secure our now unsecured borders in advance of immigration reform and will implement a completely ethical and non-political IPAB panel to make life and death health care decisions for you and your family. Forgive me for not trusting these big government promises any more than I trust the White House's latest Benghazi spin or the IRS' fairness."

Palin, the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate, further wrote, "I'm sure President Obama is grateful for all the help the IRS gave his reelection campaign, but, still, you have to wonder how the bureaucrats who tried to pull this off can sleep at night."

She called for "accountability and a full investigation" as well as a special committee to look into the Benghazi, Libya, attack last September.

– CNN's Gregory Wallace and Ashley Killough contributed to this report

Filed under: IRS • Sarah Palin • Tea Party
  1. TBone

Sarah, While you were out diligently shaking your pompoms back in high school, in the American History class, obviously high on your list of priorities, there was a quote about "keeping your mouth shut and being thought a fool rather than opening your mouth and removing all doubt" just FYI.

May 11, 2013 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  2. Mike

Palin's just jealous because she can't be corrupt any more, she's just another civilian with an opinion.

May 11, 2013 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. SanDiegoWatch

Palin may not be able to express herself in an intellectual manner simply because she gives you the information raw, rather than spinning it, sugar-coating it, etc...

....but....many of the things she says is actually true. You just have to filter through the bs...

May 11, 2013 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  4. Chris

Considering Palin's conduct during her brief stint as the Governor of Alaska, she's one to speak about of corruption and abuse of authority. Expert commentary, indeed!

May 11, 2013 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  5. TM

Sarah who? Given her history of misusing public funds to renovate her house, you'd think she would avoid drawing attention to herself from the tax collectors.

May 11, 2013 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  6. JD

Who cares what Palin has to say about anything.

May 11, 2013 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  7. BD

We are in trouble. I'm not a fan of Palin, but I have to at least agree with most of her concerns. Instead of anyone disagreeing, it is just an attack of her personality. I'm from Illinois and the POTUS who is from Illinois, is in Texas to brag about his success in business and job creation. Why not here in Illinois? Just because of Cruz?? Illinois came in 50 or 51 with the second highest unemployment rate. Last place was Nevada (Reid). Thus 2 of the highest ranking people in our federal government can't even get their own states in order. They instead spend time fighting a woman not even running for office, and a guy that is new to the scene. Democrat, Republican, Tea Party, et. al......No body has a plan, just looking for votes to keep a job. We seem to go right along with it.

May 11, 2013 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  8. Carol

Who is Palin to call for a full investigation? God this woman is crazy. Her hate for an vindictiveness towards Obama is sick!

May 11, 2013 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  9. rosethornne

Palin's shrill fearmongering is useless and annoying.

May 11, 2013 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. Carol

The Benghazi "scandal" is a plot by the Republicans to try and alter the elections. They incite the ignorant and waste the taxpayers money trying to block every piece of legislation that comes through DC. And they are not corrupt????? Puh-leeze. Palin is a champion at inciting the ignorant and she keeps the extremists riled up! These are the kinds of people that destroy and divide our country.

May 11, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  11. Rob

Helloooo,

No one cares what Sarah Palin says.

May 11, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  12. Robin Jones

Insult Sarah Palin all you want; she's earned a bunch of it. But even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. Palin is correct on this issue.

May 11, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  13. The Boot Dr

I have been down the IRS road in the past and the claim was that I had not filed for 9 years and owed them thousands in taxes, fines and interest. During that time I had moved eleven times due to job (early 1981 economy in New England in the tank). I had finally been settled in one location and address for two years when I GOT the letter.
    At that time IRS staff where on incentive programs and due to pressure from up top cut corners per management instructions trying to take in more money.
    To make a long story short I had all my records in order and submitted them. About 6 months later I received a nice letter of apology with a check with interest for what they had owed me all that time.
    So their not all bad and out to get you. They really should be going after scammers using 501(c)(4) status to hide the money.
    The last thing to bring up who in their right of left wing mind would listen to Sarah Palin with what we know about her true every day common sense. The quote that fits the bill is. Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is a genetic sentence for life.

May 11, 2013 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  14. Sam I Am

"I wonder who's watching me now? The I.R.S.? "
    I always feel like I.R.S. is watching me.

May 11, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  15. BigdaddyUSA

Palin, you are such a brilliant wonderful talented politician, I have treated you to a vacation for all the laughs you gave us over the years. Your plane leaves at 7am Mother's Day. Please say hello to Kim Jong Un and enjoy your trip.

May 11, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  16. Art

Damn... Sarah found another 15 minutes.

May 11, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  17. hitman

How soon can we expect the impeachment of the potus/

May 11, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  18. ya rights

Go away!!!!

May 11, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  19. brian

when, where, why and how does palin still believe that she's relevant. her 5 minutes of fame ran out in 1983. now if she's teaching us how to skin fish or build an igloo or talk russian, thems is a different story. Yup

May 11, 2013 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  20. Maria Rivera-Carvalho

They are so corrupt they let Palin's friend Mitt Romney get away with tax evasion. All politicians should be audited, regardless. That will send Palin packing to the Cayman Islands and the country will be a better place for everyone.

May 11, 2013 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  21. Rick Drake

Multiple polls since 2010 show Tea Party support at about 22%. Sorry Tea Party, you're going to find sympathy in short supply for your plight. Frankly I don't care if the IRS gave extra scrutiny to groups with "tea party" or "patriot" on their paperwork, they probably deserve extra scrutiny.

May 11, 2013 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  22. caroline

Organizations are people. That said, individuals will at times support their personal agenda. Government is no different- like it or not. Palin is a political poison. Her voice leads to the mantra that does not promote problem-solving, just complaining without any solution. I do not like her with her glasses, I do not like her with her gun, I do not like her with her publicity seeking family – I do not like her Sam I Am!!!

May 11, 2013 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  23. aj

Over a two year period, 300 applications for tax exempt status were given extra scrutiny. None were denied. It sounds like they need to review some of their policies. That's not great, but it doesn't rise to the level of drama so typical of a Palin tirade. I think this is more about her attempt to capitalize this and re-frame the issue as part of the grand conspiracy. Maybe Fox can start covering this as Obama's IRS-gate: worse than the pentagon papers, worse than Watergate, and worse than iran-contra. Did Obama personally target these people? Is he trying to cover it up by blaming the clerks at the IRS? Is this part of a bigger socialist plan? I don't have any evidence of this, I'm just asking questions...

May 11, 2013 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  24. Hangar 13

The IRS targeting groups who don't agree with the President? Four Americans die in a terrorist attack, and the State Department ignored warnings of the impending attack, and the embassy's peas for help? And then the administration lies to the American people about what happened? Yep, no doubt about it, Sarah Palin is a bad person. I, for one, miss the USA, I miss freedom, and I miss the free press. Name a problem in this country that wasn't created by liberals. Take your time.

May 11, 2013 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  25. Jeebusss

She then paused to double check how to spell "corruption."

May 11, 2013 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |