Extra IRS scrutiny on conservative applications shows 'corruption,' Palin says
May 11th, 2013

Extra IRS scrutiny on conservative applications shows 'corruption,' Palin says

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said the Internal Revenue Service's recent scrutiny of conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status is a sign of "corruption at the heart of big government" in Washington.

"So many Americans knew this was happening, but many felt defenseless and even helpless against a government that seems to roll along without accountability or sense of obligation to the people it's supposed to serve. These Americans were mocked for being concerned about this, but now we see light shining on the truth, finally," she wrote in an online posting shortly after the IRS acknowledged it made "mistakes" in handling the applications of tea party groups.

More: Following tea party complaints, IRS admits 'mistakes'

Lois Lerner, director of tax exempt organizations for the IRS, said 75 applications were singled out between 2010 and 2012 for extended review because the words "tea party" and "patriot" were included in the groups' names. Those applications were part of approximately 300 which received additional scrutiny during that time.

"Americans should remember that this same corrupt IRS will be in charge of enforcing Obamacare," she wrote. "And this same inept and corrupt government will supposedly secure our now unsecured borders in advance of immigration reform and will implement a completely ethical and non-political IPAB panel to make life and death health care decisions for you and your family. Forgive me for not trusting these big government promises any more than I trust the White House's latest Benghazi spin or the IRS' fairness."

Palin, the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate, further wrote, "I'm sure President Obama is grateful for all the help the IRS gave his reelection campaign, but, still, you have to wonder how the bureaucrats who tried to pull this off can sleep at night."

She called for "accountability and a full investigation" as well as a special committee to look into the Benghazi, Libya, attack last September.

– CNN's Gregory Wallace and Ashley Killough contributed to this report

Filed under: IRS • Sarah Palin • Tea Party
  1. doveab

The IRS officials (including those high-level officials who actually are) responsible for targeting legal and patriotic American organizations gave aid and comfort to the enemy. These IRS officials should be tried, convicted, and sentenced for treasons.

May 12, 2013 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  2. jackbenimble30

I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about taxes!!! Cry me a friggin river!! Here in NC they have pumped up the Sales tax, and several other regressive taxes aimed at taking out those who can't even feed their family. If your net assets are worth over 200 thousand you immediately lose all right to complain!!! About anything!!! You lose all right!!!

May 12, 2013 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  3. KellyF

LMAO, the GOP are the most corrupt this country has EVER seen. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Hilarious!

May 12, 2013 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  4. TKO

Please. PLEASE ignore this know-nothing, irrelevant blow-hard. Please stop telling us what she thinks. We don't care. It doesn't matter.

May 12, 2013 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  5. doveab

...they put Evangelicals, Baptists, Orthodox Jews, Catholics, the Tea Party, and other patriotic organizations on widely distributed lists of potential terrorist organizations...
    Seems Obama used the force of the federal government to go after American citizens who happened to be conservative... I suspect the rest of the dems knew about it...Looks like they're filth. Really. None of this is funny.

May 12, 2013 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  6. doveab

Actually, this story shows the serious flaws in the upper managements story regarding being unaware.

“But on June 29, 2011, Lois G. Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt organizations, learned at a meeting that groups were being targeted, according to the watchdog’s report. At the meeting, she was told that groups with “Tea Party,” ‘’Patriot” or “9/12 Project” in their names were being flagged for additional and often burdensome scrutiny, the report says.”

This is significant and will open the door to further indepth investigation.

The AP received only a portion of the IG’s report. Congress has the entire results of the investigation from the IG.

May 12, 2013 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  7. Leonore H. Dvorkin

Who cares what this stupid has-been thinks?

May 12, 2013 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  8. John

Looks like we are see that the democrats are just as corrupt as the Republicans, the loser is the American people.

May 12, 2013 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  9. sam111

"Hi. This is Sarah Palin. Is Senator Lieberman in?"

"No, governor. This is Yom Kippur."

"Well, hello, Yom. Can I leave a message?"

May 12, 2013 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  10. Fed up TaxPayer # 200 Million

I wish I could believe in Sarah Palin's call for "accountability and a full investigation"; however, this is like asking the fox to guard the henhouse......I trust no one and anyone associated with federal government agencies in any way shape or form......

May 12, 2013 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  11. JIM bomnas

Right or wrong - who cares what she has to say!!!

May 12, 2013 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  12. gstlab3

show me property ownership and no income tax and I will show you freedom and what it really means.

May 12, 2013 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  13. dc

At what point to the "kool-aid drinkers" finally wake up and see what is REALLY going on?
    At what point is the mainstream media finally going to report the truth, not just an agenda-serving spin?
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

May 12, 2013 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  14. joe beckim

When will she go away? She is a sideshow of politics. Go back to Alaska and refreeze yourself.

May 12, 2013 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  15. michael in houston

Geez this woman creeps me out.....I'm telling you..... there is something really wrong with her. She is not normal....

May 12, 2013 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  16. WillH85

Palin, stop trying to act like you matter, you don't. You're just out there trying to get the other crazies riled up and paranoid.

May 12, 2013 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  17. Scott

These "organizations" indeed deserve scrutiny since their sole purpose is to criticize or defy the government...all while claiming tax exempt status. That's like complaining when a criminal receives heavier scrutiny when applying for a gun. If you choose to expose yourself by raising a red flag then expect scrutiny.

May 12, 2013 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  18. Orwell seen it before

Tired of psycho groups getting better tax breaks than me.

Tea party, rush Limbaugh, Scientology, looks the same and farts the same.

May 12, 2013 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  19. lbrad2001

Sarah Palin is speaking out again? I thought she quit her job as governor of Alaska to focus on her family. I guess thats over now.

May 12, 2013 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  20. Bonnie

Well the chowder head is at it again. Someone might want to point out to her that the head of the IRS is a BUSH appointee

May 12, 2013 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  21. reldra

Defenseless and helpless? I am not even sure why a Tea Party gets money. It might be a legal thing, being they are a non profit group, I think? But if I don't even know.- I would like the IRS to slow down a bit and check it out. I know they are nuts. I also know that it doesn't stop non profits from being tax exempt..you know, being nuts. And the fact that Sarah Palin is talking about it, causes me ro want it investigated even more.

May 12, 2013 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  22. mountainlady

Whoops. Ooooo Sarah.... someone's going to get audited. It couldn't happen to a nicer person. For once all I can say is.... Go IRS!

May 12, 2013 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  23. Rogue351

Irrelevant the story is as irrelevant as Sarah Palin his herself. The IRS for years have stuck it to certain companies under Republican rule. Not the hand of power have changed and so do the rules ? Point is, if these Tea Party GOP Republicans are really that patriotic then why don't they pay their taxes in the first place. Money collected from Taxes funds an awful lot we cannot go with out. There fantasy of a tax free world where roads, bridges and a military just magically appear is stupid. Anyone that listens to talk radio knows the primary advertisers are food storage, and lawyers to help with your IRS problems. Instead of giving of digging a hole in the ground with your bible, gun and 25 years worth of food pay your taxes and me an American. Palin is looking a bit, "full figured" she must not be staving finding a living in hating the country she lives in.

May 12, 2013 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  24. Tom

Sarah Palin is the biggest nincompoop on earth, so why should anyone care what she says.

May 12, 2013 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  25. GGinBham

@Teamski:

We're living in a hypocracy, and Obama is its ruler. I'm no fan of Palin, and I cringe whenever I see her in the news, but this time she's right. Even the ACLU agrees.

May 12, 2013 01:57 am at 1:57 am |