May 14th, 2013
11 months ago

Can chocolate be the new gun control?

(CNN) - While lawmakers in Washington have yet to agree on proposals to reduce gun violence, Myles Nelson, a seven-year-old from Milwaukee, has his own mouth-melting pitch: Turn bullets into chocolate.

"Dear Vice President Biden, I have a great idea," Nelson wrote in a letter that he read aloud to CNN Affiliate WTMJ. "I think guns should shoot out chocolate bullets. Then no one will get killed and no one will be sad."

Explaining the logic behind his idea, Nelson said, "I just like chocolate very much."

Nelson mailed his letter to Biden, President Barack Obama and Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wisconsin, as Washington grappled with ways to combat gun violence in a months-long debate this year.

Certain gun control measures, including an assault weapons ban and an expansion of the background check system for firearm purchases, fell short of the 60 votes needed to proceed in the Senate last month.

The vice president, who has become the administration's leading voice on gun control since the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, responded to Nelson, giving him a thumbs-up.

"Dear Myles, I really like your idea. If we had guns that shot chocolate not only would our country be safer, it would be happier. People love chocolate," he wrote. "You are a good boy."

Along with Biden, Moore also wrote back but Nelson said his mailbox is still waiting for another response.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Gun rights
  1. just sayin

the scary part is that crazy joe is likely to take this and run with it. except he'll advocate for chocolate buckshot as he prefers shot guns.

May 14, 2013 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

I like this kid. Too bad he's probably going to hate this video a decade from now.

May 14, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  3. Sniffit

""Well, I was very happy that (Biden) wrote me a letter," he said. "But I'm still waiting for Obama to do it.""

Uh oh...here come the Teatrolls screaming "CAN OBAMA PLEASE NOBODY!?!?!?!"

haha...cute story

May 14, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Tom

The only thing that will stop a bad guy with chocolate is a good guy with more chocolate.

May 14, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  5. Obama, the new Sgt. Schultz, I know NOTHING, I see NOTHING, I hear NOTHING....

---

May 14, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  6. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Chocolate almond piercing rounds.

May 14, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Maybe if you addressed him appropriately as President Obama you'd stand a better chance, little boy.

May 14, 2013 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

Cute letter, nice response.

May 14, 2013 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. jude folly

It's useless to continue debating 'gun control'; let's start talking about gun owner responsibility.

"Guns don't kill people, gun owners do"

May 14, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

"Sorry kid, Oblameo is busy trying to dig himself out from under the mountain of lies and corruption that currently have him gasping for air.... Benghazi....IRS....AP...."

As a grandmother, I spend a great deal of my time reading to my grandchildren. I tend to go more for the older version storybooks, leaving the newer stuff for their parent's to read to them. I recently read "The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf" to my three year old grandson.

I absolutely recommend our friends in GOPerville either read it to themselves or have an adult read it to them. It would be a story well read and a lesson well learned ... politically and personally.

May 14, 2013 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. Punk

I'm sure those nice criminals would like it better too.

May 14, 2013 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  12. Borderless

If this article was in print, I could call it a waste of ink. As it is, it's just a waste of time. If our leaders weren't so manipulated by the gun lobby, maybe we could make progress to end this nation's embarrassing obsession with guns.

May 14, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Bam!!
    Next!!

May 14, 2013 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Agreed, on BOTH counts.

May 14, 2013 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    We understand the need for you to lie to yourself, but to lie to a seven yearl-old kid...tsk, tsk, for shame doc, for shame.

May 14, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. Gurgyl

What an idiocy by CONSERVATIVE THUGS OF USA...

May 14, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |