CNN exclusive: White House e-mail contradicts Benghazi leaks
May 14th, 2013
12 months ago

CNN exclusive: White House e-mail contradicts Benghazi leaks

(CNN) - CNN has obtained an e-mail sent by a top aide to President Barack Obama about White House reaction to the deadly attack last September 11 on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, that apparently differs from how sources characterized it to two different media organizations.

The actual e-mail from then-Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes appears to show that whomever leaked it did so in a way that made it appear that the White House was primarily concerned with the State Department's desire to remove references and warnings about specific terrorist groups so as to not bring criticism to the department.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Libya
  1. Rudy NYC

Wake up People!

Sniffit, Rudy, Dominican Mama, Lynda/Minn.......

--------------------
    Yes, Romney did. It's why he shot of his mouth without knowing any facts the night of the attack.

May 14, 2013 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. Sniffit

"Could someone please refresh my memory..... Didn't Mittens mention hoping for a scandal during his 47% rant??? Now we find out that info was leaked"

Beat me to it, friend. This certainly does make it look like the ones who were trying to use Benghazi for political advantage to win the election were none other than the Mittens/GOPers/Teatrolls, not Obama/Dems.

Hey GOPers/Teatrolls, please tell us again...WHO was fabricating a politicized election-year narrative out of Benghazi?

May 14, 2013 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Sniffit

"You gotta love some of the tactics employed by the Obama administration. "Rope a dope. Give 'em some rope." They have done it time and time again, allowing the Republicans to paint themselves into a corner and a no-win scenario. Checkmate!"

Indeed. As I like to keep saying...predictability is a terrible weakness...but they just don't learn.

PLEASE PROCEED, GOPERS/TEATROLLS.

May 14, 2013 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. nwjoe

It's funny how the repubs get all stirred up over these and can't get off their butts to do anything about 20 children gunned down at Sandy Hook

May 14, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. DSDA

This will blow up in the GOP's face big time. Their 'get Obama at all costs' strategy cost them the election in 2012. It will cost them the election in 2014.

May 14, 2013 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. ODWN

May 14, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. rs

hahahahaha.... is this all that obama can come up with to deflect from the fact that they redacted all of the truth and replaced it with a totally concocted story to deceive the american people 7 weeks before the election? lame, lame, lame.
    __________________________
    Delusional thinking like this is why this stuff means NOTHING to the American voter. Why not cook up another conspiracy or two- that's the ticket!

May 14, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  8. Wake up People!

Thanks Rudy and Sniffit!! I thought so. Btw Rudy, love the rope-a-dope analogy...... My granny always used to say, if you give em enough rope, they will hang themselves......

I think there needs to be an investigation into the entire republican party. And many should be brought up on treason charges.

May 14, 2013 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. Obama, the new Sgt. Schultz, I know NOTHING, I see NOTHING, I hear NOTHING....

So does this mean Obama is now goin gto release all emails dealing with Benghazi or is he just going to release the ones that bolster his tale of lies and deceit?

May 14, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

sniffit wrote:

PLEASE PROCEED, GOPERS/TEATROLLS.
    ----------------
    ...and playing dumb is a sure fire way to make a bully predictable.

May 14, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. DonnaP

Benghazi, yawn. When you declare war on people in their own land you get violence, end of story!

May 14, 2013 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  12. Obama, the new Sgt. Schultz, I know NOTHING, I see NOTHING, I hear NOTHING....

This email changes nothing.... Nuland's email stated it for everybody to read... don't put that stuff in there because it makes the State Dept. look bad, gives their opponents in Congress reason the question what the heck is going on over there. In other words, politicizing the talking points to protect the guilty.

May 14, 2013 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Lynda/Minnesota

@Sniffit: Did Jake Trapper just commit an act of journalism?

Having just read the article (but not who authored it) I had to take a double look myself. Not quite what we are used to at CNN. I wouldn't mind more articles such as this to help clear the air over the leaks, the lies, and the innuendo being thrown by the right 24/7.

I won't hold my breath ... but will go so far as to say I am hopeful.

May 14, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. The Real Tom Paine

Whomever leaked it will find a job with Rupert Murdoch, I'm sure. They seem to rely heavily on edited emails, phone hacking, etc, to paint the narrative they want.

May 14, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Mack

Looks like the President outsmarted them again lol

May 14, 2013 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. Wilson

Carter is so thankful today that it is looking like he will lose the reputation as "worst president" while he is still alive.

May 14, 2013 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. GOP = Greed Over People

"hahahahaha.... is this all that obama can come up with to deflect from the fact that they redacted all of the truth and replaced it with a totally concocted story to deceive the american people 7 weeks before the election? lame, lame, lame "

Perhaps, IF you had the reading comprehension of a third grader, you would have read and understood that only the recipients were redacted, nothing in the body of the text.

I know there are some big words in that sentence, so get your 9 year old to Google them for you.

May 14, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  18. Del

I had to dig to page 3 to find this story on four dead Americans in Benghazi and what all the evidence shows a clear Executive branch coverup of the facts, that even CNN can't ignore anymore, but I'm bombarded with three front page headline stories concerning Angies breasts. Well there – we know what CNN's editorial priorities are; help the president in any way possible by controlling what news people read.

May 14, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  19. jpmichigan

Finally CNN is doing its job REPORTING NEWS!

May 14, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Sniffit

"IF you had the reading comprehension of a third grader, you would have read and understood that only the recipients were redacted, nothing in the body of the text."

I'm sorry, but it took everything he could possibly muster to just wrap his head around the word "redact." Their tinfol hats are picking up conspiracy theories and batsh-t crazy jibba jabba signals from Red State, WND, Drudge, Breitbart, et al, at ludicrous speed right now and it's a wonder we're not witnessing most of them drop to the ground and bite their tongues out mis-seizure.

May 14, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  21. Obama, the new Sgt. Schultz, I know NOTHING, I see NOTHING, I hear NOTHING....

Maybe if Obama spent more time in the White House governing and less time at parties, golfing and campaign funding raising hed know better what the heck is going on around him. Nahhhh.... that sounds like work.

May 14, 2013 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |