Christie reveals anger at not fitting in clothes
May 15th, 2013
11 months ago

Christie reveals anger at not fitting in clothes

(CNN) - Gov. Chris Christie, who disclosed last week he underwent weight loss surgery in a bid to prolong his life, is saying more about what prompted his decision to go under the knife.

Speaking at a book signing event in Princeton, Christie said he grew frustrated when his clothes no longer fit his growing frame, according to the Record Newspaper of New Jersey.

"The things that really got me down, the moments where I would say to myself, 'Why can't I beat this? Why can't I do better?', it would be when I'd be going out with Mary Pat on a Friday night or Saturday night," Christie said, according to the report. Mary Pat is Christie's wife.

"I'd be changing out of my professional clothes ... and would go to casual clothes that I didn't wear a lot, and then something wouldn't fit. That's when I'd really be angry with myself," he said.

Christie secretly underwent lap-band surgery in February, a few months after turning 50, though the procedure wasn't revealed until last week. Christie said then the decision instead was based on his commitment to his family.

"It's not a career issue for me. It is a long term health issue for me. And that is the basis upon which I made my decision," Christie said, saying that "the steps I've taken are for me, and Mary Pat, and the kids."

At Tuesday's book signing, Christie said he often gets comments from constituents who are concerned about his weight – and that he welcomes them.

"Especially older women will say things to me in a motherly way, like, 'You know, if you lost 30 pounds, you would be so handsome.' I don't mind those kinds of conversations where people say, 'I'm concerned about you; we need you to be governor, we need you to lose weight,'" Christie said.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. John

The only Republican in the news these day that does not activate my autonomic gag reflex.

May 15, 2013 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  2. michael

perhaps he should be offered the respect and understanding that anyone needs. He wants to be healthy. shame on anyone who tries to make more of this

May 15, 2013 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  3. Jen Holden

We need you! I think it's great that a great person is trying to better themselves for themself and the people he (she, whatever the case may be) serves. The public needs good role models, now, more than ever. Here's to health!

May 15, 2013 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. give the guy a break

I'm really surprised at all the nastinss posted here. I'm a liberal and I don't appreciate much of what Christie does politically, but give the guy a break. At least he's trying to do something about it. My wife is a recovering cancer patient. Before she had cancer she was slim and trim. After they cured her, her hormones went wild and she gained a lot of weight, no matter what she did. She had no control over it and it was really depressing for her. People like you hateful little trolls made life worse for her. Hopefully someday when you suffer some physical condition you have no control over, people will be kinder to you than you have been here. You shoudl be ashamed of yourself. Grow up. Act like adults. If you don't like the guy's politics, don't vote for him, but try to keep the schoolyard attacks to yourself.

May 15, 2013 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  5. Steve

Gov, Christie.
    I know you are a busy man, You are important enough to others as well as yourself to take into account that you are able to give more the longer you are healthy.

Take the time to swim laps in a pool, play racquetball, hike with friends/family, some activity you enjoy or are able to do, as strenuous as possible. enough if it's on a business "date". You owe it to yourself, your wife and those whom you love and love you. Make it part of each and every day.

Regards

May 15, 2013 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  6. WHY?!!

this is like gluing your nose shut for a cocaine problem

May 15, 2013 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  7. Gene

Maybe he should be angrier at all those twinkies and ding-dongs. Christie is a tool.

May 15, 2013 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. standup

Ladies Bug says 140 pounds lost and makes comments about Gov Christie not being able to control himself. How did you get in a position to have 140 pounds to lose if you are so much in control? And broke on top of it? What a winner!

May 15, 2013 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  9. kojo

Good Luck to Governor Christie!! I also have stuggled with weight for most of my adult life....I know it's not easy. It is especially hard when I live in family of "skinnies" who have no idea what it is like to struggle with a weight and they can eat whatever they want and never gain an ounce of weight!

May 15, 2013 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  10. art

He had to lose weight because he want to run in 16 for the Presidency, but, his weight will tire him for the rough road ahead. HILLARY, HILLARY, HILLARY!!!!!

May 15, 2013 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. Angela

I have some respect for Christie, but I don't support his positions on most issues so I wouldn't probably vote for him.. However that said it is a good thing that he is making serious efforts to lose weight and I hope he is successful on his attempt.

May 15, 2013 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  12. mizh

I think probably the deciding factor for Gov. Christie would be that he wants to be there for his wife, children, and grandchildren. Good luck with it and best wishes, Governor!

May 15, 2013 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  13. Doug H

When I get angry at myself I find a pint of Hagen Daas ice cream and a spoon takes the edge off. ;-)

May 15, 2013 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  14. David Evan Karasek

I was at a concert Saturday in Washington Township, in South NJ and large number of vastly overweight folks there really freaked me out. I am not talking 200s but 300 and up. It really hit home that obesity is an epidemic. I am thankful that the governor is taking charge and hopefully will set an example for many in his state and beyond.

May 15, 2013 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  15. Th reporter

Why would a news agency the caliber of CNN post a worthless story like this

May 15, 2013 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  16. Chris

Gov Christie:
    i am really concerned about you and your health...I want you to be healthy and continue your work for our country.
    I believe you are suffering with a serious eating disorder ...all these surgeries etc might not be the answer for you...
    I have a strong background in addictive diseases and Recovery.....Groups like OA ( Overeaters Anonymous) have had excellent success with recovery from these eating disorders– have any of these doctors that you are seeing, recommended that you try a 12 step program like Overeaters Anonymous before resorting to these risky surgical procedures???You will meet other recovering overeaters and see how they regained their health without drugs, surgical procedures and other techniques that the conventional medical establishment recommends......Have you consulted with an eating disorders specialist?? ALSO Check out RECOVERY INTERNATIONAL -DR ABRAHAM LOW......MUCH SUCCSS TO YOU EATING DISORDERS ARE SERIOUS PROBLEMS BUT RECOVERY IS POSSIBLE......

May 15, 2013 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  17. Anonymous

crazy people

May 15, 2013 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  18. Morgan

I'm so sick of this "let's fix it with surgery" craze. The only thing preventing you from losing weight is YOU. Eat smaller portions, eat lower cal, and get moving. You don't need a magic wand surgery; you need to care about yourself enough to put in the effort. – Signed, Former Fatty

May 15, 2013 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  19. katherine

let him be healthy and happy as he wants this so much. I have a niece who went thru this and it is not easy. Bless him and his family for his efforts

May 15, 2013 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  20. DonnieH

"If he just lost 30lbs? He could lose a 100lbs and still be obese. This is the third or fourth reason he's come up with for losing the weight. He's planning a presidential run and every knows it
    The media wants to pretend like that's not the case because then they will have "BREAKING NEWS!" and then report on it for a week like its a shocking revalation and a game changer.

May 15, 2013 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  21. Lockerius

I luv all the hatred being thrown around at Christie. He wants to lose weight. Why does his motivation matter? He wants to be healthier. Why is that a problem? I say good on him.

If you want to take it from a political POV, he is a republican who has proven he is willing to work with democrats. America could use a few more like him.

May 15, 2013 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |