Christie reveals anger at not fitting in clothes
May 15th, 2013
1 year ago

Christie reveals anger at not fitting in clothes

(CNN) - Gov. Chris Christie, who disclosed last week he underwent weight loss surgery in a bid to prolong his life, is saying more about what prompted his decision to go under the knife.

Speaking at a book signing event in Princeton, Christie said he grew frustrated when his clothes no longer fit his growing frame, according to the Record Newspaper of New Jersey.

"The things that really got me down, the moments where I would say to myself, 'Why can't I beat this? Why can't I do better?', it would be when I'd be going out with Mary Pat on a Friday night or Saturday night," Christie said, according to the report. Mary Pat is Christie's wife.

"I'd be changing out of my professional clothes ... and would go to casual clothes that I didn't wear a lot, and then something wouldn't fit. That's when I'd really be angry with myself," he said.

Christie secretly underwent lap-band surgery in February, a few months after turning 50, though the procedure wasn't revealed until last week. Christie said then the decision instead was based on his commitment to his family.

"It's not a career issue for me. It is a long term health issue for me. And that is the basis upon which I made my decision," Christie said, saying that "the steps I've taken are for me, and Mary Pat, and the kids."

At Tuesday's book signing, Christie said he often gets comments from constituents who are concerned about his weight – and that he welcomes them.

"Especially older women will say things to me in a motherly way, like, 'You know, if you lost 30 pounds, you would be so handsome.' I don't mind those kinds of conversations where people say, 'I'm concerned about you; we need you to be governor, we need you to lose weight,'" Christie said.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. Jake Tabott

And you call this News worth reporting? Wake up CNN and delete all this crap you're peddling to the public –its nothing but idle gossip and BS.

May 15, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. Nik without a C

As an Ex New Jersey person. Its a constant battle with my weight. I changed my diet and I walk more often. I get three hours of cart duty. So I am in good shape. So when voting, I vote for Hilary. She I like and plus keeps things in check. She always has a good laugh. My point if Mr. Christie wants to lose weight he should really consider walking more every day. and losing 30 pounds you wouldn't notice him at all.

May 15, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. Joseph kindler

CNN let's push all this IRS and obama silly stuff to the background so we can find out what size Chris Christie wears

May 15, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. dick Delson

You look great. Just buy some new stuff. You can afford it.

May 15, 2013 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. Steve S

The heavier you are, the harder it is to find a good....er....fit.
    Christie just figured this out???

May 15, 2013 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. charles hollenback

It is not gossip as they have direct quotes. Its also unlikely that he would lie about his motivations and experiences with his struggle with obesity, so it wouldnt be BS either. As far as 'news-worthy', I feel that showing a political figure struggling with some of the same issues that a lot of american people struggle with, is in fact news worthy.

May 15, 2013 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  7. Xgirl360

I don't like the man's politics, but I hope he gets through this healthier. My Mom tried the Lap-band and had to have it removed less than a year later because it slipped out of place and caused all sorts of problems. My Mother-in-Law died from Gastric Bypass. This is not easy and I respect him for not only doing it, but being open about it. Maybe he'll inspire others to make the changes they need to lose weight.

May 15, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. Carole Crawford

All he had to do was buy a treadmill for no more than 1,000; put it in a room. He's the Mayor; and walk a couple miles per day.

May 15, 2013 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  9. Tucson ATTY

In my effort to drop a twenty pounds I have established certain hours of the day when I can consume calories – 6-8AM; 12-1 and 5:30-7:30. Outside of those hours I consume zero calories. Then when I am hungry I know I only have a short time before I will eat again. So far it seems to be working. During those hours I eat sensibly.

As to Governor Christie, I wish him the best in his effort to slim down to a healthier body size. I am a Democrat, but would not be upset if he ran for president in 2016 and was elected.

May 15, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. tas20036

The surgery could help, but without a lifestyle change – eat healthier, eat less, and exercise more, then he'll gain it all back in less than a year.

May 15, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  11. MrsFizzy

Sorry but this didn't happen to him overnight, did it?? I hope he can turn himself around physically even tho I don't agree with him politically. His condition took years to develop so change isn't going to be quick and easy.

May 15, 2013 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. HK

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE it isn't for professional reasons . . . but he sure will look better on the campaign trail. I live in NJ and kinda like the guy, but there is no way this was just for personal reasons.

May 15, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  13. jeffrey 79

I like his no-nonsense approach to politics. I think as president, he could make the unpopular decisions that so desperately need to be made. Getting his health back is the first step. He knows that. Gov. Christie in 2016.

May 15, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  14. eva.crawford

I'm happy for GOV Christie, wife, and family. It shows that his family cares about him been around for many more years,but trust me by him losing all this weight many obese voters will not vote for him anytime soon, but on the other hand some might decide it is time to have the surgery also. We all need to know that if we trust and believe in the LORD you can give up any addiction!!!!!

May 15, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. Rhope

I'm glad he's doing something about it. I wish him every success.

May 15, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. James Wilson

'Why can't I beat this? Why can't I do better?' – this is the same man who just a few months ago appeared on Letterman and made a mockery of himself by consuming doughnuts.

May 15, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  17. H.

Go Chris! You can do it. It aint easy, but you can do it and be our next Prez! Just get in moderate shape and you can rule this country for eight years. You have the class and charisma, now become a spokesperson for lap- band. This country desperately needs a Prez. who is honest and will do the best for the people. You are the barn burner and will make waves next Prez. election!

May 15, 2013 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. greg

I respect a person who does what it takes to get to the result. Whether he wants to run for President or be more health, or both, he took action to make it happen. Good for him!

May 15, 2013 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. Robert

Who cares? Other than revealing that Christie has an eating disorder that he isn't willing to fix the hard way (diet and exercise) there's really no point to this article.

May 15, 2013 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  20. Jim

Upset casual clothes don't fit verses long term health. Sounds to me like vanity verses longevity

May 15, 2013 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  21. Norm

Good for you Gov.
    I wish you much success..

May 15, 2013 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  22. GetReal

My tent don;t fit...Is a reason to get angry?

May 15, 2013 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. DH

I have one word for Christie – suspenders.

May 15, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  24. Paul B

I'm very angry he can't fit in his clothes. I'm not going to take it anymore.

May 15, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  25. Star

After attacking the former attorney general and calling her viscous names for saying she was concerned for his health he should call to apologize and admit she was right. Like that would happen.

May 15, 2013 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |