Read the IRS acting commissioner's resignation letter
May 15th, 2013

Read the IRS acting commissioner's resignation letter

(CNN) – In a letter to Internal Revenue Service employees, acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller announced "with regret" that he'll be leaving the agency in early June.

"This has been an incredibly difficult time for the IRS given the events of the past few days, and there is a strong and immediate need to restore public trust in the nation's tax agency," said Miller, a 25-year IRS veteran. "I believe the Service will benefit from having a new acting commissioner in place during this challenging period."

Read the full letter below.

CNN obtained the memo shortly after President Barack Obama announced from the White House that Treasury Secretary Jack Lew requested Miller's resignation.

May 15, 2013

The internal message to IRS Employees from Acting IRS Commissioner Steven T. Miller

Dear Colleagues,

It is with regret that I will be departing from the IRS as my acting assignment ends in early June. This has been an incredibly difficult time for the IRS given the events of the past few days, and there is a strong and immediate need to restore public trust in the nation's tax agency. I believe the Service will benefit from having a new Acting Commissioner in place during this challenging period. As I wrap up my time at the IRS, I will be focused on an orderly transition.

While I recognize that much work needs to be done to restore faith in the IRS, I don't want anyone to lose sight of the fact that the IRS is comprised of incredibly dedicated and hard-working public servants. During my 25-year IRS career, I am profoundly proud to have worked alongside you and to be part of an institution that has worked hard to support the nation. I have strong confidence in the IRS leadership team to continue the important work of our agency.

I want to thank everyone for all of their support and friendship during my career in government service. And I especially want to thank each and every one of you for your continued commitment to the nation's taxpayers.

Steve

Filed under: IRS
  1. PJ

Did he sign it: Steven "Scooter Libby" Miller, fall guy for Douglas Shulman?

May 15, 2013 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  2. J. M. Brouillette

Sad that they took out a good guy. He was one of us – a dedicated civil servant.

May 15, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  3. oracle

Miller, meet Bus. Bus, crush Miller. Scandal averted.

May 15, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. Bobby

Resigning? With 25 years of Federal service, he's probably retiring.

May 15, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  5. mm

your agency should be terminated with the same prejudice you applied to the 700 plus groups you denied. Furthermore, the buck does not stop with you sir, others will also be found and, hopefully, you will all be serving jail time for your egregious acts against the American people. And there are so many more questions yet to be answered. When most of us hear a "rogue" small group, we are unimpressed. The phase "don't p*ss on my head and tell me its raining" comes to mind.

May 15, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  6. Pete

Who in their right mind would want to be commissioner of the IRS. Thankless job.

May 15, 2013 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  7. Liberal Sense (Or lack thereof)

Why would anyone ina high position resign if it was only a couple of rouge employees?

This administration is falling apart before our very eyes.

May 15, 2013 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  8. Renee Marie Jones

A bunch of people are going to be punished for nothing more than doing their jobs, because the conservatives illegally tried to get tax exempt status that they were not entitled to as political organizations and they got caught. Corruption at its finest. The conservatives expect to be able to violate the law, not pay taxes like the rest of us, and then get special treatment when they get caught. These organizations SHOULD have been investigated. They were NOT entitled to tax exempt status because they are NOT non-political organizations. This is EXACTLY the kind of profiling that conservatives support when it is directed at someone else. Corruption and deceit, thy name is Tea Party. Mr Bohner, the only person here who deserves to go to jail is you, for treason.

May 15, 2013 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  9. Liberal Sense (Or lack thereof)

And to think the IRS will be collecting the ObamaCare taxes?

Bend over people and kiss your.................

May 15, 2013 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  10. soabsurd

so he just gets to resign.. That doesn't sound fair or right to me. Scapegoat?

May 15, 2013 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  11. Biden

Unemployment just went up

May 15, 2013 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  12. Jack

How exactly does this work ? Steve gets a memo from B.O. to resign- is he offered a pension for the rest of his life or is he just told to do it , or else ?

May 15, 2013 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  13. walt

Since when has the IRS enjoyed public trust?

May 15, 2013 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  14. Amigo one

They are amputating a foot to try to stop the gangrene of corruption from being tracked further up the leg.

May 15, 2013 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  15. US_Girl

Classy letter from a guy with his ticket on that proverbial bus out of town. I hope he lands well at his next stop.

May 15, 2013 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  16. Amazed at the duplicitousness

"the president announced that Treasury Secretary Jack Lew requested - and accepted - the resignation of acting IRS Commissioner Steve Miller."

AND

"It is with regret that I will be departing from the IRS as my acting assignment ends in early June- Steven Miller."

So he was forced to resign....TWO WEEKS EARLY?

That is how this is dealt with?

May 15, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  17. Raven33

Lets see... He took over the job in 2012. This started in 2010. It continued 18 months afrer they were made aware of it in 2011. My analysis is he's getting fired because he stopped it.

May 15, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  18. beppe

Ban the IRS. Bring on the FAIR TAX

May 15, 2013 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  19. Jan Blanton

In order to restore trust, or faith in the IRS would require a whole lot more resignation letters than this one man. First of all the IRS has tainted its own reputation for decades. With harassment, what in most of our minds is illegal audits of people they didn't like, neighbors, relatives of IRS employees, This institution is the most reprehensible of all of the Governments charges.. They have allows 10's of thousands of tax returns to be filed fraudulently and never checked one, sent out refunds on check cards by the millions it seems, I know in Tampa alone the police have arrested not less than 3 rings, that made the group millionaires off of innocent people who are now waiting for their refunds and THEY have had to prove who they are because of the theft of ID.. There are those collecting money that shouldn't because the IRS doesn't check. yet the resignation of this one man is going to restore faith? I don't think so.

May 15, 2013 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  20. reply

Scapegoat.

May 15, 2013 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  21. WorkingStiff

Go ahead, comment. What are you afraid of, being audited?

May 15, 2013 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  22. Shawn

So who are they targeting to "restore public trust" in the nation's tax agency? Certainly not the citizens of the nation.

I would like to meet the retard that ever trusted the IRS!!

May 15, 2013 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. goodguy6410

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Mr. Career Bureaucrat. It's unfortunate that your resignation had to be asked for by Treasury Secretary Lew. You should have been offering it as soon as this monster hit the fan.

May 15, 2013 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  24. Eardley Ham Woodbury, MN

I doubt that Miller's fall on his sword will stem the Repb's attacks on Obama. The level of hate that group has for the president is immeasurable.

May 15, 2013 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  25. eschwapp

It reads like he's going on vacation, or retiring.

May 15, 2013 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |